Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

In previous posts I indicated I had an odor coming from under the bathroom sink. I think I finally found the source. The sewer hose. I pulled it out of the coach and attempted to rinse it out. Result, it still stunk. I purchased a new hose and eliminated the smell, at least until the new hose gets smelly.

I also built a shelf that fits around the plumbing pipes under the sink. The shelf and insulation around the pipes keeps odors in the water compartment from entering under the sink. Plus, it provides additional storage space under the sink.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

In previous posts I indicated I had an odor coming from under the bathroom sink. I think I finally found the source. The sewer hose. I pulled it out of the coach and attempted to rinse it out. Result, it still stunk. I purchased a new hose and eliminated the smell, at least until the new hose gets smelly.

I also built a shelf that fits around the plumbing pipes under the sink. The shelf and insulation around the pipes keeps odors in the water compartment from entering under the sink. Plus, it provides additional storage space under the sink.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Put caps on both ends of your sewer hose if you don't have them now. That helps a lot.

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

One end of my sewer hose remains connected to the waste valve. The other end has the Winnebago valve that can be closed in storage. With the hose closed it still stank.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
One end of my sewer hose remains connected to the waste valve. The other end has the Winnebago valve that can be closed in storage. With the hose closed it still stank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you drain the black tank first and then the grey so it will flush out the hose with the soapy grey water and reduce the chance of odors?

If your coach does not have one built in you could install a fluch adapter between the waste valve connector and your hose so you can flush it by connecting it to a garden hose after draining the tanks.

Regards,
Old 07-12-2006, 02:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

LK23, I would diconnect the end from the waste valve and always run fresh water through it after dumping anything. I have a spray bottle with detergent in my compartment and can spray some in the hose before rinsing. I also spray in the compartment before closing.

I am using the same hose that came with a 99 Adventurer and have no odor problem at all. Good Miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:04 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The cold air return vents directly through the outside water/waste dump area so that warm air is drawn through there to prevent freeze up. It's best to remove the hose and store it in a plastic bag in another compartment.

When your heater/AC is not working, the air in the water/waste area is drawn up through the coach by convection through the roof vent.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yes, I drain the black water first, then flush thoroughly with the built-in flush before draining the grey water. I leave my hose connected with the valves off when traveling or in storage. I keep the other end of the hose closed.

In regard to blocking the air flow under the sink, I realize this will inhibit warm air from entering the water compartment in cold weather. I prefer this. I want to avoid any odors being drawn into the bathroom and I place a light bulb in the water compartment in freezing weather. On my first trip I learned the hard way that the warm air flow into the water compartment is inadequate to keep from freezing.

Thanks for the posts.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
Yes, I drain the black water first, then flush thoroughly with the built-in flush before draining the grey water. I leave my hose connected with the valves off when traveling or in storage. I keep the other end of the hose closed.

Thanks for the posts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More then likely leaving the hose connected and not allowing it to dry out is adding to the problem. They sell vented hose caps to help prevent this. Any others out there that store their wet drain hoses with non-vented caps on them? Would adding a deoderizer to the grey tank be help with this?

Regards,