Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-14-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Single Handle Shower Valve

Tired of the cold water backing up while the shower is in "dribble mode" while I lather up, I considered the standard fix, a check valve (back flow preventer) or two. But that required cutting PEX lines, then installing the valve and adapters in a very tight space. Instead, I figured a single handle shower valve would accomplish the same goal, shutting off the water and isolating the hot and cold water while it's off. Since I really prefer single handle shower valves, I figured, why not kill two birds with one stone.

So, I searched for single handled RV shower valves and found out these things are like hens teeth. And the few I found were very cheap plastic. I settled on the Dura Faucet DF-SA150 in Satin Nickel. There are some really nice options, including thermostatic and pressure balance valves if you are willing to get creative in your installation.

This job was plug and play with no modifications and only a philips or square drive screwdriver required. The removal and installation are pretty self explanatory, but here's the pics.

So, here's the factory two handle valve:

Here's the shiny new valve:

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Headed up to the mountains this weekend, so wife and I will get to test drive it. I didn't replace the silicone caulking yet, it's just acting like a gasket. I also had to put in slightly larger screws, as the old ones really didn't have much bite. I might install some kind of backing when I'm sure it works for me.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Very cool; or should I say NOT cool but nice & warm? I hope it works well; especially in dribble mode. Thank you for the installation report, and looking forward to the performance report.
Eagle5
Old 10-15-2020, 02:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Have you considered a push button shut off between the hose and shower head? We always have installed the push button shut off with good results. As the sizing for the hose and head are standard you can get the shut off at any big box plumbing dept.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
Have you considered a push button shut off between the hose and shower head?
The shower head already has a shutoff lever built in, but any shutoff after the mixing valve still allows back flow, and the sudden blast of cold water when you restore flow. If you are lucky enough to have an RV where cold and hot water are equal in pressure, then back flow is not a problem.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Went camping over the weekend and was able to field test the new shower valve. Pulling out or pushing in on the lever adjusts water volume, while twisting left or right adjusts the hot/cold mix. Turning the water off for a couple minutes to lather, then turning back on to rinse maintains the same temp. No more blast of cold water, and much easier than fiddling with a button or lever on the shower head.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Hi Old Navy,
Good report. Glad that you can keep the cold/hot balance while closing & opening the valve. It also looks more high-tech.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

This just went onto my wish list! I need to remember to get some photos back there to see how the plumbing is all routed when I have it all opened up. Thanks for the review!
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Vita 24P

I just installed one also, but I turned handle 180 degrees so the hose was faced down. Works great.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:33 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
... I turned handle 180 degrees so the hose was faced down.
I still have to pull mine off to replace the silicone sealant, and might flip it myself. My valve is slightly different than pictured on the box and the one shown on Amazon. Note the missing knurled ring. Hopefully still the same mechanically, so flipping could be the same.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I see the company has similar faucets for RV kitchen and bath sinks. Not that I'm looking for ways to throw away money, but I did buy an RV so I think that says it all!
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
I see the company has similar faucets for RV kitchen and bath sinks. Not that I'm looking for ways to throw away money, but I did buy an RV so I think that says it all!
In for a penny, in for a pound.

I'm looking at the matching bathroom faucet. My complaint with the original faucet is that it doesn't extend far enough over the sink. I pretty much have to put my hands against the back of the sink to rinse them. An inch would make quite a difference.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We too just recently replaced our shower faucet with the single lever Dura Faucet and shower head with an oxygenics. Although we are very pleased with this faucet, when we replaced both the kitchen & bathroom sink faucets, we went with regular house faucets. An American Standard in kitchen & a Moen in bath. Both installations were easy and no adaptions had to be made to fit . The quality & selections are so much better than RV options.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post

I'm looking at the matching bathroom faucet. My complaint with the original faucet is that it doesn't extend far enough over the sink. I pretty much have to put my hands against the back of the sink to rinse them. An inch would make quite a difference.

We had pretty much the same issue with our bathroom sink faucet. Last spring when I was roaming around in a Home Depot I came across a wing stack on the faucet aisle that had a two handle faucet, metal body, and a high arch spout (about 2" higher than the OEM). Since it was a special buy (not a regular stock item) and only $23, I grabbed one. I used to work at Home Depot and know that when a special buy is gone, its gone, and seldom is ever available again.

Anyway, I installed it and the Mrs was very happy!
Old 10-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Amazon also has a BOTTOM exit single handle shower valve ($20 from HowPlumb), which works great IF you are very careful to screw in the cartridge retainer ring (the chrome-dome thing between the handle and the valve body) JUST ENOUGH to stop leaking...its a bad design as this is touchy, too loose, it leaks, too tight it will distort the plastic body and may even break the thing...$20 bucks though!
I love the idea of those thermostatic valves, but creativity is right, they are JUST an inch too big for my flat mounting area...
StanCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Excellent thread I will try to leverage this thread versus creating new.

My 2019 Sunstar 29VE sprung a leak(s) in the shower faucets. I verified that the leak(s) is coming from the cartridges. I have never liked that zap of cold water when I turn off in middle of showering to save water

So I took it all apart and was ready to order the recommended Dura Faucet for $40 when I saw these other options also on Amazons. The faucets look almost the same but from a brand called How Plumb?

Option 1 $30 Faucet Only
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4EPM2APX&psc=1

Option 2 $41 Faucet with matching Showerhead

Option 3 $57 Faucet with match Showerhead and Matching Bath sink. Note: I don't know if the bath sink faucet extends out further than the OEM?

Anyone got any experience with How Plumb versus Dura Faucets? I am thinking Option 2 is worth a gamble given you wish to but the shower faucet, but not sure about doing anything with bath sink now. May buy Option #3 and sit on bath sink until something happens?

All thoughts and feedback are appreciated
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:39 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Update:

I bought Option 2 (time will tell if it resolves both problems)

Option 2 $41 Faucet with matching Showerhead
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-23-2021, 07:48 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I installed https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4EPM2APX&psc=1 today.

It solved 3 problems

1. Replaced the leaking cartridges in OEM unit
2. Eliminate need to turn two knobs
3. Stop the cold water zapping

Added benefits
* You can stop the water flow using the single lever or with hand sprayer
* Nickel satin finish (looks more elegant)
* Easier to install and remove than the OEM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210423_205741 rotate.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	178496  
Old 04-23-2021, 08:15 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

That's nice. Had I found that product, I would have chosen the combo kit. Looks like it was just added in March 2021.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
That's nice. Had I found that product, I would have chosen the combo kit. Looks like it was just added in March 2021.
I just added a picture. I was skiddish with the HowPlumb brand at first, but for $40, I figured why not? It is extremely light but very durable.

I almost bought the set that had the bath sink faucet as well, but I like the idea of getting a bath sink faucet that has a higher arch at least a inch or two higher to get more room when running the water. Since that fixture is fine now, I can deal with it later.

Thanks for the thread, because it was your pictures that showed me how to get the OEM fixture off.

Tags
shower