Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Is anyone having problems with their 5.7 water pump surging with a cold faucet turned on about half way? My shower does it in the warm range with the single handle faucet and the bath and kitchen cold faucets do it when turned on about 1/2 force. I've talked to Shurflo twice by phone and they think its not right. It will take 3-4 weeks just to get a dealer to look at it, and then time to order it if needed. The technician I was able to talk to by phone at the dealer (he just happened to not be working on a coach at the time) wasn't much help. Its a new enough pump no one has any experience with it yet.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is anyone having problems with their 5.7 water pump surging with a cold faucet turned on about half way? My shower does it in the warm range with the single handle faucet and the bath and kitchen cold faucets do it when turned on about 1/2 force. I've talked to Shurflo twice by phone and they think its not right. It will take 3-4 weeks just to get a dealer to look at it, and then time to order it if needed. The technician I was able to talk to by phone at the dealer (he just happened to not be working on a coach at the time) wasn't much help. Its a new enough pump no one has any experience with it yet.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Do you have a surge tank on this system? Surge tanks are designed to eliminate the pulsing caused by the piston action of traditional water pumps. The variable flow pumps don't need them. It could be acting as a giant bungee cord, stretching and relaxing and causing your waterflow to vary.

If you don't have a surge tank it could be a bad pump. The pressure sensor that tells the pump how much to put out may be "lazy".

Another factor is the output hose routing. If you have alot of elbows in the path it will hammer and surge. Shurflow provides a flexible hose that you need to use rather than the standard rigid poly water lines. On my coach the flexible hose went to an elbow before running up the main gallery. When I took the elbow off and coupled the flexible hose direct, it was quieter and smoother.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I had the same surging when I installed my variable flow pump and it was caused by the expansion/surge tank. As mark described, the tank is designed to allow the previous constant volume pump to run and build pressure, then then the tank would supply water for a while the the pump turned off. Without the tank, you would have the constant on/off cycling.

With the variable flow pumps, the pump volume matches the water requirement, and maintains constant pressure. The surge tank confuses the variable volume pump though.

Check your system for the tank. It will be a small tank with a schrader valve on one end. As a test, just release all the air from the schrader valve, and you should be good to go I think you'll like the new pump.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:07 PM   #5

JK, Not exactly so, the surging has nothing to do with the tank, but yes the pump will work without it. Wagon guy, probably has a vacum leak or a pinched line. Even very possibly theres a bad sensor in the pump.
Wagon guy, make sure you have your water valve set to city water and not "fill tank" as this will cause surging also.

Tomcat F15
Old 04-22-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Not exactly the same problem. We replaced our old pump w/5.7 while on a trip in February. Got home & drained the tanks down & blew out the lines. 3 weeks later filled the tanks & turned on the pump, it didn't want to run & was surging w/low pressure when it did. Put the old pump back on & left for 2-1/2 weeks. After returning I went to CW & they gave me a new pump, put it on & it was growling & surging. Went right back to CW & got another pump & its fine. Sure hope it stays that way. CW is only 5 minutes away & it only takes 10 minutes to R&R, but there other things that need fixing.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the responses. Fred B is probably right, it just needs changing. This is on a 2004 Meridian and no surge tank. I know the "fill" valve is in the right position, otherwise the pump will run continously as long as the switch is on. I found that out 16 years ago with my first RV, made the mistake of not changing the switch after filling the tank. Shurflo suggested I take it off and mail to them for checking and replacing if defective. I may have to do just that and hope it only takes one changing, not several as Fred B went through. Thanks again for the responses.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36'
Old 04-22-2005, 11:46 PM   #8

Wagon Guy,

If you do send it back to them, they'll bench test before they ship it back. Sometimes during production, problems can happen and end up in the customers hands. Shur-Flo have an excellent reputation for customer service, you should be in good hands. You might want to give them a call and ask them to send you a call tag. It's under warranty, they should cover the freight both ways.

Tomcat F15
Old 04-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hey Tomcat-thanks for the info on the call tag, I hadn't even thought about requesting freight both ways. The things we learn from this forum with all the experienced posters.
Thanks again.
Wagonmaster2
Old 04-24-2005, 02:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I installed a ShurFlo on my boat a few years ago replacing a large Par piston pump (which was very trouble-prone and the repair kit was expensive.) I previously added a two gallon pressure (expansion) tank which worked extremely well with both pumps. At full flow on a faucet, the pump would only need to activitate every 15 or 20 seconds. We much prefered on-off cycling to the constant buzzing without an expansion tank.

John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:29 PM   #11

I have an '04 Vectra that came with the 5.7 pump. It worked fine over the first year then finally would not shut-off. After speaking with one of their finest he suggested I bring it in to the factory as I was going to be in the area. They provided me with a gracious tour of the plant and then exchanged my pump with a new one, even without a bench test. Apparently they fabricated some pumps over a two to three month period that had software problems. I'm sure you will be pleased with however they fix you up.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Topic: Shurflo 5.7 water pump surging
posted April 24, 2005 07:20 AM
I installed a ShurFlo on my boat a few years ago replacing a large Par piston pump (which was very trouble-prone and the repair kit was expensive.) I previously added a two gallon pressure (expansion) tank which worked extremely well with both pumps. At full flow on a faucet, the pump would only need to activitate every 15 or 20 seconds. We much prefered on-off cycling to the constant buzzing without an expansion tank.

John </pre>

Do NOT use an expansion tank with the Shurflo 5.7.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> posted April 24, 2005 10:29 PM
I have an '04 Vectra that came with the 5.7 pump. It worked fine over the first year then finally would not shut-off. After speaking with one of their finest he suggested I bring it in to the factory as I was going to be in the area. They provided me with a gracious tour of the plant and then exchanged my pump with a new one, even without a bench test. Apparently they fabricated some pumps over a two to three month period that had software problems. I'm sure you will be pleased with however they fix you up.
</pre>

The Shurflo is microprocessor controled, thus the pump may operate but the little computer can fail.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote