Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Since we are usually 'plumbed' in to water at campsites, this isn't a huge problem, but an annoyance when running on tank water.

The water pressure surges quite a bit in the shower in sync with the pump changing speeds. Water pressure out of the other faucets is a normal constant stream. I took out the flow restrictor in the shower wand (like I always do on any of my plumbing fixtures), but that shouldn't have anything to do with the issue.

Ideas anyone?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Since we are usually 'plumbed' in to water at campsites, this isn't a huge problem, but an annoyance when running on tank water.

The water pressure surges quite a bit in the shower in sync with the pump changing speeds. Water pressure out of the other faucets is a normal constant stream. I took out the flow restrictor in the shower wand (like I always do on any of my plumbing fixtures), but that shouldn't have anything to do with the issue.

Ideas anyone?

Old 10-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Blockage in the strainer

Sucking air on the intake side

Pump defective

Is the accumulator still in the circuit John?

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

John, you know I am not as astute or mechanically inclined as other members.
But , it seems to me that if you have a constant flow of water, then the pump should maintain that flow and not speed up or slow down. The accumulator that Rick mentioned could need air. Yet I don't quite understand the surging when the flow is constant. Try replacing the restrictor and see what happens.. Good Luck Jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Jim and Rick,

I have the 5.7 Shurflow with the electronic sensor which doesn't use an accumulator tank (which was a surprise to me.)

The shower flow would slow to heavy dribble,then speed up to normal, then repeat. With an open faucet, the pump should run all of the time. I also noticed that if you cut the flow way back on a faucet, it will also 'pulse.' I'm pretty sure the strainer is clean, but that is something to check. Perhaps the obvious is a bad pump; I might give Shurflow a call. Thanks guys.

Old 10-20-2005, 04:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

John,

When I installed the 5.7 in my 03, I left the accumulator in the circuit. Always wondered if Winni was going to deliver the newer coaches with it or without it. Considering the symptoms you described, I am strongly thinking the pump is at fault. Giving the folks at Shurflow at shot at it is the best path me thinks. How's that Datastorm doing?

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 10-20-2005, 04:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have the 5.7 in my coach and it works great. No pressure problems. Enough pressure to work the messuage feature on the shower head.

You must have a restriction somewhere. Have you checked the Shurflo filter located on the pump?? There is also the remote possiblity that there is something in your fresh water tank blocking the outlet. I have heard of some of the plug cutouts being left in the tank.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The 5.7 does not use an accumulator tank.

The 5.7 is variable speed and the little micro-processor computer determines the speed by the flow requirements.

The 5.7 is capable of 5.5 gallons per minute and a pressure up to 65 PSI.

They may be a problem with your pump. Shurflo will graciously replace it.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

If your shower head has a adjustable setting, from soft to pulsating, turn the adjustment off soft until a steady stream is provided. Seems the "restriction" has been found in the shower head because it doesn't demand (allow) full pump output.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Take the tank out. It will confuse the micro-processor on the 5.7.

Winnebago does not use a tank with the 5.7 and Shurflo recommends that none is needed.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:38 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

You've got good advice. Remove the accumulator tank with the variable speed pumps. They are designed to vary their speed rather then cycle on and off with flow demands. The accumulator tank is used with a cycling pump to steady the flow.

When I installed my variable speed pump, I simply let the air out of the accumulator tank. Letting the air out was easier than removing the tank, and solved the surging problem you described. Letting the air out is also reversible.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Sorry Tom but the accumulator tank is not confusing my 5.7 and it has been in there a year now. Winni isn't using one on the new coaches because the 5.7 does not require it and it would be a waste of money on their part to put one in. It was just easier for me to leavce mine in the circuit and it seems to be cohabitating with the 5.7 fairly well.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 10-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

John:
On my 2005 Vectra I found that I had two water restrictors on the shower. One was just before or after the manual shut off near the area the hose to the shower head attaches to the wall. The second one was in the shower head itself. Make sure you don't have two also. That was my problem with low and surging volume fromt he shower.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kenbt:
John:
On my 2005 Vectra I found that I had two water restrictors on the shower. One was just before or after the manual shut off near the area the hose to the shower head attaches to the wall. The second one was in the shower head itself. Make sure you don't have two also. That was my problem with low and surging volume fromt he shower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh, how about that! BINGO! I removed the check valve Winnie installed with the shower shut-off valve and we have pressure and no surging I am having a long, vigerous and hot shower tonight.

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2005, 03:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Sometimes we create our own problems, don't we John?

There really is no reason to remove the restirctors, the 5.7 will do a fine job with them there. Besides. your going to use a whole lot more water. If you ever dry camp, you'll wish you had the resirictor, s, in there.

As far as the accumilator tank is concerned, if you have one in line, thats fine also. ShurFlo has stated, that it won't hurt a thing and doesn't effect the system.

I installed the 5.7 two years ago, replacing the cheezy 2.8, which worked almost OK, but more pressure helped. The trade off was, yea we got more pressure, but we empty the water tank real quick.

These forums are great for ideas and maybe a quick awakening to have you remember what you may have caused when you were dilly dalling around, but nothing matches the professional advice you'll get from the manufacture of the item your having problems with. If it's not a week end or a late night, go to the manufacture's web site and get your contact information and go direct. You won't regret it, and thats what their web sites are for.

Radarr
Old 10-21-2005, 04:09 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Oh for sure we are aware of the potential increased water useage. Now it is MY choice how much water we use, not a government restriction. I am smart enough to manage my own resources, thank you (not ragging on you, but big brother.)

When we cruised the caribbean on our sailboat for 15 months, we were "boondockers" the entire time except for about 20 days spread out here and there at marinas. We had to be great stewards of our resources, especially water and diesel. Sometimes we were anchored out 100 miles from nowhere - there were no Wallyworlds (or stores period) available We got real good at taking showers with a gallon of water or less (we carried about 90 gallons.)

I'm not sure we have a problem with the pump now that both of the restrictors are out of the picture.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:47 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

John,

Glad you solved the problem by removing the restrictors. I remember removing one in the shower head some time ago and it was probably before the 5.7 went in. Probably why I have not experienced the surging issue. Sounds like we have a bit more pump running than the plumbing wants to support. It's your coach and your water. If you want to have a forcefull shower in the morning then so be it.

03 Horizon 39QD