Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Shower Valve Replacement

I have a drippy shower valve. The forum has a lot of info on this but i can't seem to get past the most simple part. I get off the clear knob and thats where its stops. I removed the 2 screws on the large plate but nothing moves, there also is a collar around the valve that has notches on it that looks like it may unscrew but that will not move. So how do I get the gold plate off or just how do I get to the valve?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Since you've removed the two screws holding the plate to the wall the only thing left holding it would be the rubber seal around the perimeter of the plate. You can try getting a very thin knife under this seal and working your around it to loosen it up. The valve shaft will also have seal around it between the shaft and the plate.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If yours is a Moen, mine is in our '04 Adventurer, it's guaranteed for life. I just got a new valve for our kitchen faucet. There's instructions at the Moen website on how to find the model number so you can pull up a parts diagram and tell them the part you need. Yes, a little bit of work ("I just want it not to drip, you tell me what I need" was running through my head), but I got the parts I needed real quick at no cost to me.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
If yours is a Moen, mine is in our '04 Adventurer, it's guaranteed for life. I just got a new valve for our kitchen faucet. There's instructions at the Moen website on how to find the model number so you can pull up a parts diagram and tell them the part you need. Yes, a little bit of work ("I just want it not to drip, you tell me what I need" was running through my head), but I got the parts I needed real quick at no cost to me.
what is the url of this website? did you order the parts online or over the phone?
my bathroom sink faucet is dripping and my kitchen faucet is leaking.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Check out the info at moen.com Replacement info and phone numbers there.

They were very accomodating when I needed a replacement cartridge.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yes, moen.com

Most of the info I needed was in the "consumer support" section.

Moen Consumer Support

The warranty does state you need the original recepit, which we obviously wouldn't have. They just asked when I bought the motorhome and if I was the original owner. I didn't read enough to know if the warranty applies to the original owner only or not. I think we all know the answer to their question though....

My kitchen faucet was a model "7100" (as imprinted on the back of the neck). It has been replaced by a new 7100. There was another similar model I found via google, 67130. I needed a 1225 cartridge (I hope that's right haven't put it in yet).

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had the same problem last year with the same year and model coach that you have. All three fixtures in our baths were Phoenix brand and all have had to be replaced.(kitchen was/still is Moen) Phoenix also has a lifetime warrenty and they did send us a new bath sink faucet at no charge. When the second bath sink faucet failed, we started looking. We purchased better quality Moen's at a Lowe's clearance section(25.00) and installed them easily. The shower faucet, not so much...

Searched IRV2 and found good instructions for removing the old valve. Did a quick search today, but no joy. Went looking for my copy but could not find them. Will keep looking.

Do remember removing the two screws. Pried the back plate off as has been suggested. Put some tape on the water lines so the 'compression nuts' do not drop to the floor. The 'pex like' water lines are stiff and needed to be heated with a hair dryer to make them flexible to work them off, but they will come off will some help of a flat blade screwdriver. There are two screws that attach the valve to the mounting plate. I think I removed them before heating the water lines to give me better access.

Installing a new valve is the reverse. The holes for securing the valve to the mounting plate did not all line up and had to drill a new one. Used self tapping screws to secure.

We installed a posi-temp and regret not doing it sooner. Difference is worth the trouble. Not an easy task but can be done. Small hands, patience, and determination are a plus.

Searched again for my instructions. Wife reminded me that they were a compilation of several posts by others on IRV2. You have already searched and read so you are now good to go.

Any further questions, ask.