Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi,
just discovered yesterday while I was up on the roof that my shower sky light is cracked. I'm not sure how long it's been cracked. On the inside there is some discoloration on the ceiling, and when I took the inner half of the sky light off I could see where the water leaked in and followed the lip of the inner skylight to the lowest point and settled there. all the wood seems intact but there is some water stains on the fabric ceiling and I'm guessing some mold.

I have a couple of questions:

1; Is there a product that you can use/buy that will kill any mold up there?

2; The crack started at a screw hole and went up the side of the sky light about 5 inches, I've covered the crack with eternal bond tape and recaulked the area around it with self leveling caulk. Do you think I should replace the skylight ($125 to $150) or just go with the repair?

Thanks

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi,
just discovered yesterday while I was up on the roof that my shower sky light is cracked. I'm not sure how long it's been cracked. On the inside there is some discoloration on the ceiling, and when I took the inner half of the sky light off I could see where the water leaked in and followed the lip of the inner skylight to the lowest point and settled there. all the wood seems intact but there is some water stains on the fabric ceiling and I'm guessing some mold.

I have a couple of questions:

1; Is there a product that you can use/buy that will kill any mold up there?

2; The crack started at a screw hole and went up the side of the sky light about 5 inches, I've covered the crack with eternal bond tape and recaulked the area around it with self leveling caulk. Do you think I should replace the skylight ($125 to $150) or just go with the repair?

Thanks

Seattle, WA
Old 08-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
KCE
Winnebago Owner

I just had mine changed and the new one did not have screws in the plastic it had 4 corner brackets that held it in place and silicone sealant was used to cover the brackets and seal the sides. Within 2 weeks it leaked so I had to cut all the silicone off and used Eternabond to re-seal it. I guess I should have done it myself the first time but it was under warranty so the dealer did it.
Anyway--- my 2000 brave had a crack that started at the screw hole and I repaired it with Eternabond it stayed that way until I traded it 2yrs later. Unless it bothers you to look at it I wouldn't worry about it. Oxyclean will clean the ceiling that's what I used and it did a good job.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I replaced 2 skylights the first year I had my coach. Each time it was a crack at the corner of the light. There were 7 other coaches in our resort at the time with the same problem. Winnebago finally instructed the dealer to leave all the screws out of the bottom lip of the skylight (roadside). The third skylight has lasted 5 years now. I just checked it yesterday and it is still in perfect condition. Apparently those screws cause the cracking problem.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the replyies. I took off the inside part of the skylight and it was leaking into the MH. puddled on the lip of the inside part of the skylight. I was growing some nice moss up there. I will leave it of for several weeks to dry it out. I washed the ceiling with my carpet cleaner and also spray clorox clearner all over it. I figure that should kill most things.

I've decided I will buy a new sky light I just have to figure out whether to get one from winnebago or a second source supplier.

thanks

Seattle, WA
Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
I'm just finishing up making repairs casued by a storm in NY State a few weeks ago where the awning flipped up on the roof and the arms broke every piece of plastic it could find. I've had numerous leaks from the shower skylight since I got it and dealt with the cracks in the corners and became a wizard at epoxy work. Anyhow, I got the new shower skylight, and asked the parts guy what else to use for installation. He just told me use some self leveling sealant under the flange. NO! Standing there was one of the techs who gave me a roll of putty-like gasket, maybe eternabond, not sure but that's what I used then sealed over the flange and screws with 2 tubes of C-10. So when removing the old one, I cut thru the old sealant, removed the screws and guess what? The skylight just fell right off the roof, NOTHING between the flange aand the roof. No wonder we all have these leaks! Hopes this helps soome one down the road.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Fossilhog,

I picked up my new skylight last week and bought some of that putty like gasket material also. The tech at my RV place also suggested tubes of C10 but I will probally use eternabond tape to seal the flange and screws. I will install it when I get a chance probally about 3 or 4 weeks. Fall is a busy time with kids going back to school and sports etc.

Did you happen to take any pictures? I'm hoping to document my replacement with pictures when I do it. Then I would just have to figure out how to post them

I hope that skylight didn't fall off and hit anyone below.
cheers

Seattle, WA
Old 09-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
No, I didn't take any pictures except the original damage. I had read a lot about the eternabond tape but the dealers here, all 3 within an hour only had huge rolls of it and I only needed about 10'.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yes I ordered my eternabond of the web to get a smaller roll. I would adivse you to get some at your leasure to have in your tool kit. it's great stuff for emergency repairs, will stick to things even if wet, of course dry is better.

And I also found it useful around the house. Like when I backed into my gutter (opps) and cracked it, I put a piece of eternabond tap on the inside of the gutter to stop the leak and it's worked now for 2 years.

Seattle, WA
Old 09-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

i would stay with the tape unless it leaks..

great stuff.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote