Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Shower Remove/Replace

2003 Adventure 33v. Wife wants gold framed shower walls replaced with oil rubbed bronze. How are the original walls attached? I've found replacements for $300 so price isn't bad. Any experience with removing original?
gromhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would expect a lot of adhesive and that can lead into it being a major problem to get it off the framing and smooth to go back with new. That would leave me expecting to tear out the framing and go back with new as the quicker/easier option.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2003 Itasca Sunova 30B. It has a one piece shower liner that covers two sides and the back of the shower. It is mainly held in place with many strips of 3/4 inch double sided tape. I was able to press gently on the shower liner to see where it was sticking. In my case, over time, the double stick tape started to lose its grip in a few spots.

You have to remove any attaching hardware, shower door frame, and plumbing lines first. Fortunately on mine, I have easy access to the back side of the water lines. Then you would start in one corner and very carefully pry it off the wall with a tool like a stiff putty knife. The double sided tape will give way with a lot of time and coaxing. I'm not familiar enough with your coach to know if it the same type of installation or not.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromhome View Post
2003 Adventure 33v. Wife wants gold framed shower walls replaced with oil rubbed bronze. How are the original walls attached? I've found replacements for $300 so price isn't bad. Any experience with removing original?
After re-reading your original post, it raises some questions. I posted above my experience with the shower walls but are you asking how to replace the shower door and gold colored frame plus the gold colored water faucet?
Old 03-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Good point Bones2003! I had also misread the post and jumped to changing the walls, rather than the far less complex change of the hardware. Changing doors and faucet do not involve removing the walls---assuming a matching set of hardware is found to cover the holes and outline, etc of the old.
I do not have that coach but first thought would be to look for a small section of paneling near and behind the faucets which might be teased off gently to expose the backside of the faucet and the lines to it. Once removed, there are likely to be nuts of some type to hold the faucets and lines. Remove them, replace with new faucet.
The door is likely to be a bit more challenge but doable with normal tools. Fitting the frame to the exact size might require cutting some light aluminum stock, caulking to seal and maybe some drilling for fasteners. There may be small plastic beads covering the existing screws/fasteners on the current door frame. Or they may only be held with caulking or adhesive of some form. Hard part for me is to get the old degraded sealer off without getting to rough and making marks which show.
A new tool which helps a lot on controlled scraping is the small "multi-tool". I find the Hyper-Tough one from Wal-Mart is "good enough" for my limited uses. My good one from Dremel wore out way too soon!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...010G/730516237
We all should have MORE tools.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the responses. You ar both correct in the re-read, it's the gold frame and glass she wants replaced. I have been able to get the original part number and manufacturer from Winnebago so I'm now corresponding with them. I was told I can have an RV dealer order the part but there will be a markup I'm sure. Slowly getting closer.

Richard
gromhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If you take a shower with sunglasses this “problem” will go away.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Not at all sure how this may play as I've never really looked closely at the size but these doors are often made for the frame to trim down when done in houses. Any chance of it being the same size for a cheaper "stock " price on a door for home?
Old 03-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #9
Itasca owner

gold trim

I had an '02 with the same trim. Everything is gold including your lavy faucet and all trim in the coach, what a job to replace it all. I would ask her to get used to it as is, it's definitely not worth the trouble in a 17 yr old coach.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Shower door & enclosure details

Hey guys,
I have a 2003 Itasca Horizon 34 HD, it has the neo-angle shower enclosure. I found it to be very restrictive in size. Crazy me, I pulled it carefully apart and took all of the textured glass pieces out. To make it more roomy, I had a plexiglass skylight made to put in the front entry door frame. I ordered the bronze color and it has a 5" rise in it. When I ordered it the guy thought I was crazy, turns out it works great and gives an amazing increase in the space to move around in the shower. I also ordered to extra flat pieces for the the sides. The only bad issue is that the plexiglass is a bit thinner and obliviously not as strong. It took a lot of patience but I'm happy with the results. The business I ordered it from is called EZ tops, they are a skylight manufacturer.

Yep, I'm creative and crazy!
Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Bart, your mod sounds interesting. Can you post a few pictures of it?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I will as soon as I get my picture host set up...
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, shower