Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
Shower Leak--Vacation Ruined

Day-2 of our 45-Day RV trip in our new 2015 Journey 40R camped in Teton NP. Wife takes shower (3rd time shower was used) and neighbor comes running over saying we have a major water leak. I check it and water is gushing from under the shower and down into the basement compartment and onto the ground. I'm unable to even get close to assessing where the leak is, but I suspect the drain pipe directly under the shower floor. So, we have no shower for the next 43 days. Will try to stop by Forrest City.......if I can get Winnebago to ever answer the phone. If anyone knows of a fix, please let me know. Signed not happy in Teton.
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

So, someone forgot to use glue on a fitting ? I would go anywhere...close by...and get it fixed on your dime. In the meantime, contact WI for approval. I can't imagine WI not reimbursing you for fixing without their inspection/permission.

Take pics of repair.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Saber77, Roger & Fran I feel for you guys. The drawing below is looking up from the drivers side. There is a flex hose the connects to the shower that moves when the bedroom slide goes out. A couple of places to look. There is a vent in front of the shower base that will allow you to look under the shower. Pull the draws next to the bed maybe able to see the drain pipe. Looks like there is one of those waterless drain traps in the line under the bed. Second picture is a little closer view from above.
If you can fine and get to the separation dry it an duct tape it for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40R shower drain 1.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	103665   Click image for larger version

Name:	40R shower drain 2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	103667  

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It would appear to be a major job to access the leak. We're going to modify our trip and take it to the factory.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Grtharris, thanks for the help. I tried, but don't think I can access the leak.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I'm guessing you're camping where there is no campground bathhouses available. We were getting ready for a long weekend trip last week and the bedroom slide would not go out. Annoying, but not a deal breaker. We could still get in the bedroom, just could not access some closets or drawers.

Have you looked on line for any mobile RV mechanics that roam that vicinity? Without knowing any details at all about your rig, its possible an experienced RV mechanic could get into the area needing repair and at least making a temporary fix.

Did this just happen today? Were you calling Winnebego after hours? I called Fleetwood RV today for some info on my coach and within 10 minutes I had several emails of drawings and other info on my coaches configuration. Maybe tomorrow you'll be able to get them in the morning.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Try calling Winnebago early in the morning. They might be able to get you into a dealer a lot closer than a drive to the factory. I know there is a General RV dealership in Utah. If their service is as good as it is here in Michigan it's substantially closer than Iowa for you. There are probably more Winnebago dealerships possibly along your intended route of travel.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Saber77, Roger & Fran I feel for you guys. The drawing below is looking up from the drivers side. There is a flex hose the connects to the shower that moves when the bedroom slide goes out. A couple of places to look. There is a vent in front of the shower base that will allow you to look under the shower. Pull the draws next to the bed maybe able to see the drain pipe. Looks like there is one of those waterless drain traps in the line under the bed. Second picture is a little closer view from above.
If you can fine and get to the separation dry it an duct tape it for now.
grtharris,
Just a tad off subject here but, was wondering where you got those pictures? I'm kind-a assuming it was from a Winne Parts set of drawings or, construction set of drawings or ??? That's cool. If true to the picture, it sure gives the OP an "over view" or should I say "Under-view" of the construction of that particular area. They sure don't make or, assemble these beasts to be worked on, later in life. It would be interesting to see what the OP posts later as to their procedures on how they gained access and repaired his issue.

To the OP,
While this issue is truly a serious issue, try not to let it get you down while you and the DW are enjoying Americas beautiful outdoors. When something like this happens, try and develop a plan "B". (Plan A was to take a vacation WITHOUT any issues for the total trip). Plan B might be something like:

1. Keep on your present intended route and:
(A) Find or call ahead to, campgrounds/RV Parks with full shower facilities
(B) You can use your shower only, use minimal water and, catch it by putting
one of those flat rubber drain stops. Then, you'd have to bail out the water to a pail or something and then dump it in the sink or, kitchen sink. Places like Walmart have those pool things that suck up a bunch of water and like a gun, you push it out to have water fights in pools and lakes etc. That's a cheap toy that can be used for evacuating the water out of the shower in merely minutes. The Wife says you can get them at the "Dollar Tree" Store.

2. As has been suggested, call around for a Winne authorized service center that's either close to you or, maybe along your intended route and, explain your situation and get it fixed without taking the long trip to the factory.

3. As you've indicated, maybe do a hard right and, head to Forrest City IA for a factory repair.

No body want's or likes things breaking while on trips, that's for sure. But, dealing with it, depending on severity and, just what's broke, may not have to cause total deviation of intended plans. Sometimes the old "MacGuyver" moves can be a big help in situations like this. I've had to do some of those MacGuyverisms while on some of our vacations and, they were enough to keep us going until we got back home.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

FIRE UP yes the drawings are from the Winne parts catalog 3D drawings are available for 2011 and newer.

Saber77, by going back to Forest City you can get them to replace anything that got damaged from the water.
Which campground are you at, we are heading up there in May and June.?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tips. We're going to go to Yellowstone, but skip Glacier and head to Forest City, using campground showers. We're currently at Colter Bay Village RV Park in Teton NP.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar problem with our Forza 34T the first time we used the shower. Water running out all over the floor in the hall. Turned out the connection to the turn-onb handle wasn't tight. Took it in to a dealer and they had it fixed and us back on the road in four or five hours.

Good luck and keep looking forward!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Well, after being on hold for 30 minutes, I finally got to speak with a factory service advisor....only to be told that they are booked up through November. I was told I can stop by and go in a wait list, but got no assurance that they would be able to fix it in a reasonable time. So much for a brand new $300K motor home-- they said they are sorry. This is our 6th motor home and it has more problems than the rest combined. If this is any indication of how bad Winnebago's quality has become and how bad their service is, then we bought the wrong brand.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Does it really have to go all the way back to the factory? Can't you just take it to a Winnebago dealership or RV repair facility somewhere closer to where you are and get it fixed ?
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear about your problems. Did the factory have any suggestions for a dealer along your route that might be able to take care of you?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Just called the nearest dealer, in Billings, MT, and they're booked into October. So I guess we'll try the factory. Anyone have experience with their wait list?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I'd be inclined to take it to an RV repair facility, get it fixed, have my vacation and send Winnebago the bill. Good luck with whatever you chose
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber77 View Post
Just called the nearest dealer, in Billings, MT, and they're booked into October. So I guess we'll try the factory. Anyone have experience with their wait list?
Saber77 -

I, too, am sorry you're having such a hard way to go..

May I suggest you call WBGO and let them know the situation.. that you're in the middle of a vacation with a BRAND NEW $300K rig !!!

I would see if they could use some of their "influence" to get you "bumped" up the line at the dealership in Billings...

I'm guessing.. since you likely didn't purchase it from the Billings dealer, they're less than motivated to help you "quickly"... However, with the help of WBGO, you may get an earlier appointment. From what I've read from the others.. this could be a relatively easy fix...

Worth a shot !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Most campgrounds have a list of "mobile mechanics" for RVs. Or maybe go a web search for the area you're in. I usually see them roaming campgrounds on Sunday mornings looking for people having trouble trying to leave
Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We're Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Saber77 -

I, too, am sorry you're having such a hard way to go..

May I suggest you call WBGO and let them know the situation.. that you're in the middle of a vacation with a BRAND NEW $300K rig !!!

I would see if they could use some of their "influence" to get you "bumped" up the line at the dealership in Billings...

I'm guessing.. since you likely didn't purchase it from the Billings dealer, they're less than motivated to help you "quickly"... However, with the help of WBGO, you may get an earlier appointment. From what I've read from the others.. this could be a relatively easy fix...

Worth a shot !!

And, they might be interested in knowing that many people who are potential customers are following your adventure...
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I would check with Lichtsinn in Forest City. We take our coach there for all of our service. They are only a mile from the factory so parts are there the next day.

Ask for Brian Buffington. He is a good guy and has done really well for us.

Tags
cat, leak, shower