Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

How can anyone say Winnebago is "not responding" when the OP said they are booked up to November and the dealer closest to the factory is also booked up (September is the earliest)? All the OP has to do is grab the earliest possible date and get it fixed. Jeez.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #42
Winnebago Watcher

I had a similar problem, the fitting under the shower tub broke. I have an access panel on front of the shower below the shower door that I could remove. I replace the plastic fittings with rubber and that I found at Lowes.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

"How can anyone say Winnebago is "not responding" when the OP said they are booked up to November and the dealer closest to the factory is also booked up (September is the earliest)? All the OP has to do is grab the earliest possible date and get it fixed."

Sounds good to me...wait three or four months...let the rust start to form...let the mildew and potential mold get a foothold. While your waiting, use campground showers because your $300k coach shower remains un-repaired.

Brand loyalty is fine; Winnebago CS is likely good; but the manufacturer needs to help an owner find, engage, and get a repair such as this taken care of. Water in the storage bays is not a good thing, and it doesn't age very well. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago has a huge problem and they just don't recognize it. I have been back to Winnebago a few times now for warranty work. Sure they get straight on to it if you have a booking, which is weeks out at least. But at no time did anyone apologize for the inconvenience caused or the costs involved to return there.

And they keep building the coaches with the same problems.

Anyone that phones up with a problem on a coach within the warranty period should be told to get the coach to Forest City as soon as possible and a technician will be onto it as soon as possible

Pete

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2014 Vista 30T
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter27C View Post
Winnebago has a huge problem and they just don't recognize it. I have been back to Winnebago a few times now for warranty work. Sure they get straight on to it if you have a booking, which is weeks out at least. But at no time did anyone apologize for the inconvenience caused or the costs involved to return there.

Anyone that phones up with a problem on a coach within the warranty period should be told to get the coach to Forest City as soon as possible and a technician will be onto it as soon as possible

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
In an ideal world, yes. I totally agree. But we're not in an ideal world and what about all of the Joe Bagodonuts out there who have problems that need addressing who are patiently waiting in line for service in Forest City who may have worse problems? Just cut in front of them?

Right.

As was mentioned, Lichtsinn has openings at the end of September. The OP can get the reairs done there and go a mile up the road and raise hell with the bigwigs at Winnebago, if he's so inclined.

If the OP has to get the work done right away, there are plenty of other authorized repairers out there to choose from. Just Google around. Lichtsinn and the factory aren't the only games available.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
In an ideal world, yes. I totally agree. But we're not in an ideal world and what about all of the Joe Bagodonuts out there who have problems that need addressing who are patiently waiting in line for service in Forest City who may have worse problems? Just cut in front of them?

Right.

As was mentioned, Lichtsinn has openings at the end of September. The OP can get the reairs done there and go a mile up the road and raise hell with the bigwigs at Winnebago, if he's so inclined.

If the OP has to get the work done right away, there are plenty of other authorized repairers out there to choose from. Just Google around. Lichtsinn and the factory aren't the only games available.
I totally agree that there are many other resources that can handle the immediate situation. A call to Winnebago customer service with the question" what is the closest authorized repair facility that can handle my problem immediatly" should produce a number of viable alternatives.

The immediate problem can be resolved in the short term by an authorized repair facility. An appointment with the factory service center can resolve any additional problems.

One of the huge problems Winnebago and all other manufacturers have to deal with today is the fact that some people who have a problem feel "my problem is more important than yours, Therefore mine should be attended to immediately and everyone else should wait".

Looking at it from a little different perspective, how would you feel if you had made an appointment, arrived at the factory, and were told, sorry you have to wait, because someone without an appointment who feels their problem is more important than yours has just showed up.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #47
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
November seems to be the earliest possible. These are technians and not magicians. I am with you that they should be building a sounder product.

You can call WGO CS and they will authorize the repair by a third party. However they will not warranty the third party work or the article they repaired after the repair is done. They strongly suggest that a WGO dealer or service center do the work and they will stand firmly behind the repair and product fixed.

I suspect that if you showed up on their door they would do their utmost to take care of you. It might not be right away but I would hope it would be in a timely matter.

This repair would seem to be quite simple if there were an easy way to get to it. There may be an easy way but many times you have to be a contortionist to get to the item in question.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #48
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
"How can anyone say Winnebago is "not responding" when the OP said they are booked up to November and the dealer closest to the factory is also booked up (September is the earliest)? All the OP has to do is grab the earliest possible date and get it fixed."

Sounds good to me...wait three or four months...let the rust start to form...let the mildew and potential mold get a foothold. While your waiting, use campground showers because your $300k coach shower remains un-repaired.

Brand loyalty is fine; Winnebago CS is likely good; but the manufacturer needs to help an owner find, engage, and get a repair such as this taken care of. Water in the storage bays is not a good thing, and it doesn't age very well. JMHO
OP discovered the issue early and has stopped using the shower. OP has likely opened up bays and ventilated/dried out wet areas so any instance of mold or mildew will not get worse.

Using a campground shower is not the end of the world. You are using facilities that you are paying for and water that is heated by the dime you pay per diem.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #49
Winnebago Owner

When you are in business for yourself you discover that dealing with warranty work is more important that anything else in your business. More important the getting the next job out the door, servicing etc. An unhappy customer is absolutely disastrous to the small businessman.

Companies get larger and the "not my fault, not my problem" attitude creeps in. Large companies have been brought to their knees with this attitude, and often management thinks the answer is get more stuff out the door. Continuing to assemble coaches with equipment that they know is going to cause warranty work is just stupid. As I have stated earlier on this or other posts, I have been to Forest City 3 times since I purchased my new 30T in September last year. Each time with slide and jack issues. Each time, as we Winnebago RV owners sit outside the doors waiting for the 7am opening, the discussion is "what are you here for, slides, jacks or both!".

Sure I have received prompt curtious service each time, but never an apology for the fact either poor installation or a faulty product caused me to have to drive a thousand or more miles each time for them to have another attempt at fixing it.

Quality needs to be number one. And if it is not fix it ASAP. Nobody who spends good money on a product with problems should be made to wait to get it put right. On the Winnie tour we were told they used to work shifts. Start this up again to deal instantly with warranty issues.

There is no excuses for delays in dealing with warranty work. And have a group of expert technicians analyze every single warranty claim, track the issue to its source, and fix it so it does not continue to happen.

If you believe that anything other than the above is acceptable, then you are one of the "good enough" brigade, the my kid got 50% so he should pass idiots, the "I screwed up so who can I sue" morons that are contributing to the lowering standards in the USA

This used to be the best country in the world. But look now. People used to complain about "Jap Crap" they fixed it, then it was "Taiwanese junk" they fixed it, "Chinese crap" they also are hard out fixing it.

Winnebago needs to wake up and deal with the issues properly and promptly. They can fix it if they care.

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Remember this is the internet and there are two sides to every story - if you let this influence your decision I would like to sell you some oceanfront land I have for sale in Minnesota
Yes, however, I just returned from a two week trip in my Aspect, and found both straps holding the freshwater tanks have broken. I'm calling Winnebago today to see why such cheap engineering on such a critical part. I'm out of warranty, but this is clearly a manufacturer defect.

Depending on how they treat me will
greatly influence my decision from whom I will purchase my next coach.
Pkc303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
When it comes to MAJOR issues priority MUST always be given warranty issues even if that means someone having non warranty work as to wait. Minor issues can be scheduled at a more leisurely pace but should still be given a higher priority.

In addition I personally think a customer that has only had the coach for a month should get priority over someone that's had a coach for 6 months. In this case when the owner reaches Forest City they should be moved toward the top of the list. IMHO
Old 08-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkc303 View Post
Yes, however, I just returned from a two week trip in my Aspect, and found both straps holding the freshwater tanks have broken. I'm calling Winnebago today to see why such cheap engineering on such a critical part. I'm out of warranty, but this is clearly a manufacturer defect.

Depending on how they treat me will
greatly influence my decision from whom I will purchase my next coach.
Sorry about your problem. Expect a long wait with CS. I just called regarding a warranty matter of my own (a ceiling vent w/fan in the bathroom) and was on hold for 53 minutes waiting for a representative.

But, on the plus side, the representative was courteous and professional.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #53
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
When it comes to MAJOR issues priority MUST always be given warranty issues even if that means someone having non warranty work as to wait. Minor issues can be scheduled at a more leisurely pace but should still be given a higher priority.

In addition I personally think a customer that has only had the coach for a month should get priority over someone that's had a coach for 6 months. In this case when the owner reaches Forest City they should be moved toward the top of the list. IMHO
I'll bet you would be singing a different song if you were the one who kept being pushed to the back of the line because someone with a newer coach had a problem. Also I'll bet you wouldn't voluntarily step aside to let someone else with a newer coach take your place after making and keeping an appointment.

No business I am aware of puts someone without an appointment before someone who has taken the time to arrange their schedule to be at a given place at a given time, regardless of whether the work is customer pay or warranty. It would be a customer relations nightmare.

See how you feel about adopting this type of service scenario a couple years from now. Your 2 year old motorhome will no longer be under warranty and you'll be at the bottom of the list regardless of whether or not you took the time to make an appointment.

AmandaV, As for being on hold for 53 minutes, Mondays are the busiest day for the service department. All appointments are scheduled for Mondays. Along with that anyone who has had a problem over the weekend is calling in to schedule an appointment. In addition there are the people who just showed up without an appointment hoping to be worked into the schedule.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #54
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I'll bet you would be singing a different song if you were the one who kept being pushed to the back of the line because someone with a newer coach had a problem. Also I'll bet you wouldn't voluntarily step aside to let someone else with a newer coach take your place after making and keeping an appointment.

No business I am aware of puts someone without an appointment before someone who has taken the time to arrange their schedule to be at a given place at a given time, regardless of whether the work is customer pay or warranty. It would be a customer relations nightmare.

See how you feel about adopting this type of service scenario a couple years from now. Your 2 year old motorhome will no longer be under warranty and you'll be at the bottom of the list regardless of whether or not you took the time to make an appointment.

AmandaV, As for being on hold for 53 minutes, Mondays are the busiest day for the service department. All appointments are scheduled for Mondays. Along with that anyone who has had a problem over the weekend is calling in to schedule an appointment. In addition there are the people who just showed up without an appointment hoping to be worked into the schedule.
Doesn't totally have to be that way. You just have a given number of bays that are for warranty work. Everyone keeps moving through the system just that the warranty work doesn't wait for the non warranty work. I believe that Tiffin does this to a degree and it seems to work well.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #55
Winnebago Camper

I don't think people are expecting to automatically get 'next day service' on their new motorhomes. And yes, I know that means it can hose you on vacations sometimes, as you don't find issues until you head out.

But on the other hand, I think it's unreasonable to wait more than a couple of weeks to get an opening -- maybe not at the factory, but certainly at a service center within a reasonable distance for most folks. If you are backed up more than that, you need to re-evaluate your capacity and/or building processes if this is warranty work.

Steve
Old 08-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #56
Winnebago Camper

Can you imagine if people that have warrantee issues with GM, Ford or Chrysler took their cars back to the factory for service. That's why there is a dealership network.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #57
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Can you imagine if people that have warrantee issues with GM, Ford or Chrysler took their cars back to the factory for service. That's why there is a dealership network.
One big difference between the automobile dealerships and RV dealerships is that by franchise contract the auto dealers must have factory trained personnel and specialty tools before they can sell a particular line or model of cars. They must continue to train their mechanical staff on the latest systems to be eligible to order new vehicles equipped with those systems.

Most RV dealerships don't have this type of stipulation in their franchises. They can sell a particular line of motorhomes with little or no service department to back them up. There is no minimum size service department specified in relation to the number of units they sell. They may in fact literally be selling more motorhomes than they have the capacity to service.

Along with that the warranty labor times paid under the factory agreements barely cover the cost of labor let alone the cost of tools, supplies, and fixed building costs. In short for most dealers warranty work is a money loosing proposition. There is no incentive for the dealers to spend money to train, equip, or employ more than the number of technicians it takes to cover their retail business, especially in our area of the country.

It's a seasonal business that flourishes only about 6 months of the year. The other 6 months half or more of the staff could be laid off for lack of business and drawing unemployment. No business I am aware of could last long only taking in enough money to barely cover labor costs for half of the year and having their employees on unemployment the remainder of the year.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #58
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I wasn't complaining. You are right, Mondays are the busiest. But it couldn't be helped, I won't have the time to call during the next few days and my repair appointment is September 2. I just needed to ask them a few things.

I just put the phone on speaker and on the charger and tinkered around in the MH until they came on.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #59
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Doesn't totally have to be that way. You just have a given number of bays that are for warranty work. Everyone keeps moving through the system just that the warranty work doesn't wait for the non warranty work. I believe that Tiffin does this to a degree and it seems to work well.

Ask anyone who waits at Red Bay three weeks for service how well that works.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #60
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post
Ask anyone who waits at Red Bay three weeks for service how well that works.
True, it's not perfect but if you're under warranty you get to stay in camp Red Bay for free. They are also good at allowing you to stay in the coach unless it really isn't safe or practical to do so even when the coach in the bays.

Tags
cat, leak, shower