Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
Lichtsinn is booked through 3rd week in Sep. we'll try our luck at the factory.
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

(Mod Edit) Owning a motor home is an adventure. Call a pluming rv mechanic. How could anyone just not get it fixed. Fast
morris61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

(Mod Edit) I'm in Teton NP, hundreds of miles from the nearest Winnebago dealer. The location of the leak will require major dismantling, well beyond the capability of any local RV mechanic, if there were any. The issue is that we're all becoming used to accepting piss poor quality control from RV manufacturers. This coach should have never left the factory in this condition and obviously the dealer should have caught it on the PDI. We will live with campground showers until we get to Forest City.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

My 2015 Sightseer had a shower leak. We found the slip joint was too short. Replaced and all was well. First have you isolated the source? Place bucket under shower head and run water to make sure it is not in waterline connection at faucet. If no leak then it is drain and hitting on top of compartment and running off. There has to be access where yo check for after and find leak. They build with access in case of problems. I would sure try a mobile RV tech. I have found them to be very good.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Of curse this happens during the busy season for the RV dealers and shops. I hope that Winnebago can get you in quickly and get this and any other problems handled properly and quickly for you.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

We had an issue with a loose cabinet. Talked to Rod at WGO and he was willing to authorize work by an outside rv repair but said that WGO would not stand behind the repair. Since it was a minor issue we waited until we were at the dealers.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

There's also the outdoor shower.. put on your bathing suit and have at it.
With Camping and RVing, I find you have to 'roll with the punches' a little and discover your ingenuity. It impresses the heck out of the DW.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
There's also the outdoor shower.. put on your bathing suit and have at it.
With Camping and RVing, I find you have to 'roll with the punches' a little and discover your ingenuity. It impresses the heck out of the DW.
If you shower at night you might not need a bathing suit. If you shower together at night you may not want a bathing suit - and it will save water!
Old 08-22-2015, 08:27 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

LoL!
Old 08-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
If you shower at night you might not need a bathing suit. If you shower together at night you may not want a bathing suit - and it will save water!
You been peekin'?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

I know how disappointing something like this can be, especially on a new motorhome. We had an incident with our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer that nearly ruined our first trip to Alaska.

We had been planning for nearly a year and were more than excited to finally be on the way. The third day into our trip we pulled into a campground and did the usual hookup. We took the dogs for a walk, and when we came back there was water pouring out of one of the compartment doors. A cursory inspection revealed what I thought was a leaking water heater.

After much discussion weighing the options and alternatives we decided to push on and deal with whatever happened along the way. Like you I was in favor of heading to Forest City and wait in line for the service department to make the repairs. My wife on the other hand was not willing to scrap a long awaited vacation just because we had no hot water for showers or cooking.

As you might imagine I reconsidered my position and we continued on. Each time we stopped for the night I did a little closer inspection. On the fifth or sixth night out I was able to determine the problem was actually a plastic fitting in the water line going to the water heater, not the water heater itself.

I made a list of the parts and tools that would be necessary to complete the job and visited every hardware and home improvement store along the way. I finally had everything I needed by the time we reached Banff Canada.

Since we planned on staying there a few nights I got to work. Each day between scheduled hikes and tourist destinations I made some progress. It was a miserable job crawling in the compartment and only being able to use one hand to reach behind the water heater. However I was determined not to have to take showers in the campground bath houses or go without one for days at a time for the next three months.

By the time we left Banff we had hot water. It only required $75.00 in tools and parts, another $75.00 in band aids, and a hundred dollars in alcohol (not the kind used to sterilize wounds from the outside).

Had we pursued my original plan of going back to Forest City we would have missed the most wonderful vacation we ever had. We look back at it now and consider it just another wonderful and unpredictable adventurer. In fact we liked it so much we went back again in 2014, and intend to go for a third time in 2016.

The incident taught me you have to be determined to have fun. You can't let non life threatening situations deter you or spoil the moment.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Think I might tell the DW the showers has a leak..... She might believe me...LOL, then again
Old 08-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber77 View Post
(Mod Edit) I'm in Teton NP, hundreds of miles from the nearest Winnebago dealer. The location of the leak will require major dismantling, well beyond the capability of any local RV mechanic, if there were any. The issue is that we're all becoming used to accepting piss poor quality control from RV manufacturers. This coach should have never left the factory in this condition and obviously the dealer should have caught it on the PDI. We will live with campground showers until we get to Forest City.
Interesting I would not have the expertize to diagnose the problem -
I would not have let this ruin my vacation - I had a RV Tec fry my electrical system and could not put the slides out and I lived with it for 6 weeks unit we got home
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Well, I would do the same, and hunt for the leak. I just wouldn't give up.

That being said, I thank you for the information about Winnebago. I was considering buying a new coach at about the same price range, but if they cannot fix a $300K coach that obviously was built poorly, then maybe it is time to view another manufacturer.

I bope you get it fixed soon.
Pkc303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Lawyer up or Consumer protection from your state; tell Winnebago you're going, first, and see if they become more responsive. remind them this is a real black eye on line for their brand.

That said, Glacier is awfully smoky...not the views of a normal year. If you stay in West Yellowstone, there are some mobile guys there I believe. Make sure you dry out the basement to reduce further damage and mold. Remind Winnebago that they are responsible for any mold damage that may occur while they take their time responding...maybe a longer term warrantee because of their screw up.Water damage is big, and they need to be reminded. JMHO and good luck.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

When life serves you lemons, make lemonade.

I blew a seal in my front hydraulic leveling jack on day one of our two week holiday. I grabbed various sizes of 1x4 and 2x10 and through them in my compartment and use as needed to level the coach "Old School".
Yes it's a pain in the a$$ but hasn't stopped our holiday.

Although having a glitch with the shower in a brand new unit is definitely a bummer, it's not an integral part of your ability to travel and continue your vacation. Many times I opt for the campsite shower just to have more room and pressure.

I'd continue on with your travel plans and try all the RV Repair shops and Mobile Techs in each City you pass through or the locations you arrive at.
Someone will fit you in.

Hopefully someone will make you whole again and you can get back to using your new unit as intended. You can deal with who pays after.

Good luck and safe travels.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkc303 View Post
Well, I would do the same, and hunt for the leak. I just wouldn't give up.

That being said, I thank you for the information about Winnebago. I was considering buying a new coach at about the same price range, but if they cannot fix a $300K coach that obviously was built poorly, then maybe it is time to view another manufacturer.

I bope you get it fixed soon.
Remember this is the internet and there are two sides to every story - if you let this influence your decision I would like to sell you some oceanfront land I have for sale in Minnesota
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Does the campground have "Public" showers you can use.. Wife and I used the shower mostly for storage save when boondocking.. Since she died I've emptied it out twice.

Once when I stayed late due to medical concerns and the park closed the showers (Save for the one that never got hot)

Second time was when I got down here to GA and it was hot and muggy out and I did not want to take a shower and walk back to the RV and need another one right away.. So I've been using mine ever since.

Since I'm here for a while (Blown engine) I'm getting a storage bin likely Tuesday to store the stuff in the back (Main) Bath so I can de-comission the half bath for a while. (Repairs) handy haveing two of those.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Lawyer up or Consumer protection from your state; tell Winnebago you're going, first, and see if they become more responsive. remind them this is a real black eye on line for their brand.

That said, Glacier is awfully smoky...not the views of a normal year. If you stay in West Yellowstone, there are some mobile guys there I believe. Make sure you dry out the basement to reduce further damage and mold. Remind Winnebago that they are responsible for any mold damage that may occur while they take their time responding...maybe a longer term warrantee because of their screw up.Water damage is big, and they need to be reminded. JMHO and good luck.

Really? He has a water leak and you want him to lawyer up. Get real.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

New coach...Winnebago not stepping up...seem to remember a similar situation on the Newmar forum with a new King Aire. Obviously, you have to work with the company, but the company has to respond. Thus far, sounds like Winnebago gets an "F". No one deserves a major water leak in the basement on a new coach and a manufacturer not responding. Somehow you have to get their management's attention, instead of a help desk person. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, leak, shower