Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Shower hose dripping at wall

Don't know if this is Winnebago specific or not but where the shower hose connects to the brass wall outlet water has started slightly spewing while the water is turned on. It looks like there is some sort of black plastic connector between the brass wall outlet and the the end of the hose, which is where the water is coming from. And not where the hose connects to this black thingamajig.
Is this some sort of pressure relief valve so when the shower head is shut off and the temperature control knob is still left on there won't be too much pressure on the shower hose?
Does this thingamajig need to be replaced periodically or does it just start leaking on its own? And will it have to be purchased at an RV dealer?
Been RVing for over 25 years and never had water leak from this spot.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It sounds like the "black connector" is part of the shower hose and may just need to be snugged up or removed and some teflon tape placed on the threads. After removing you might also find that the connection on the hose may be cracked...
Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The white end of the hose has already been tefelon taped when the new hose was installed a couple of years ago, and a crack was the first thing I checked on. The leakage seems to be above where the hose connects, possibly between the brass wall outlet and the black piece.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Shower Hose Leak

The piece you are looking at is called a vaccuum breaker. There is a rubber washer shaped piece inside it that eventually gets hard and cracks, causing the leak. The washer should be pliable enough to seal the air gap opening when water pressure hits the back side of it.
I know this because I have had one apart looking for a replacement washer, and have yet to find one. The one on my Horizon is leaking now. My best suggestion is order the vaccuum breaker from a Winnebago dealer as it doesn't seem to show up as an aftermarket part.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks Dale, we'll be in Forest City next week for other repairs so maybe they'll have one in stock there. Appreciated the information.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

mine leaked on my itasca. It was an allsens hand held shower. I found one similar at a plimbing supply place but the inlet thread was not the same so I took the internal parts out of the new one and reused the metal outer and it worked fine. Allsens was bought by Delta so it was a Delta part I got. Someone on this forum called Delta and they sent them a new one for free.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Before taking it out I wonder if there is any kind of name/part number on the valve that Delta would need. I know I got a free shower temperature control knob (mine broke because the screw froze in the temperature control valve) and also got a new temperature control valve. Can't imagine in this day and age how/why they send out so many free parts. But I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Take a look at this thread: shower anti-siphon valve

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Take a look at this thread: shower anti-siphon valve
Thanks Chris, this link was exactly what I needed. Especially since Delta may send me a new valve free.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Has anyone just removed the vacuum breaker from the end of the shower hose and replaced the hose where the breaker was removed from? Mine is spewing a lot and it may be a couple of weeks before I can get a new one from Delta.
Will the hose screw back on the same threads where the breaker was?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Has anyone just removed the vacuum breaker from the end of the shower hose and replaced the hose where the breaker was removed from? Mine is spewing a lot and it may be a couple of weeks before I can get a new one from Delta.
Will the hose screw back on the same threads where the breaker was?
I have not done that, but just tagging on so I do not miss the reply.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My vacuum breaker had a small male thread on the wall end and a 1/2 inch where the hose attached so it could not be connected after vacuum breaker was removed. Might be able to buy some kind of adapter to go from the different sizes.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Redneck Repair

Before I found out about the availability of a free replacement from Delta, I did the South Ga redneck repair. That consists of removing the rubber washer/valve, getting some plumbing epoxy from Home Depot, packing the holes in the lower plastic piece with the epoxy, and drilling a 1/4" hole through the center of the epoxy when set. Use a garden hose washer when you reassemble the parts. Works great. I am thinking about going ahead and getting the new one from Delta, but the rush is over.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower