Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Shower dripping

2002 Adventurer, shower has a maddening slow drip from the shower. Is the valve assembly cartridge something I should be able to find at the hardware store? Anybody know the make/model?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The actual cartridge may be slightly different ; good chance yours is plastic and everything in a hardware store will be brass. But the actual seat seal is available , and might be all you need.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Just went through this myself. My control valve was a Delta. Parts cost $2.00 and change. If it is a Delta the kit comes with four springs and four seals. Two each long springs and two short. The same with the seals. You will only use the set that matches what you have. Take the control valve apart being careful how it disassembles. Inside the cast brass housing you will see three openings two of which contain the seals and springs. Pop them out with a tweezer or your pocket knife. Compare the new springs against the old and the same with the seals. Reinstall. GOOD LUCK! ! ! Mine did not go back the same way. I had the long springs and long seal. When I finally got results was the long springs and short seal. But, it solved the problem.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It's surprising how many big box stores I went to and never found the right diverter valve repair kit for my corner shower...but that's likely to be mostly my fault that I couldn't remember what I was looking for when I'd visit a store. But eventually, I found in a small town Ace Hardware just the right kit. And changed it out. But that didn't cure the drip-drip-drip from the shower head. What did it, was a shut off valve from Amazon installed at the shower inlet...

Here's a link to my blog entry about it...it's the last entry near the bottom of the page, maybe it'll help: Shower Leak

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Got it fixed using parts from ACE Hardware. A #25 o-ring, a #57 o-ring and kit VA-2 (Valley) which had two springs and seals. ACE p/n 4008637, just over five bucks for everything. Not a difficult project.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Got it fixed using parts from ACE Hardware. A #25 o-ring, a #57 o-ring and kit VA-2 (Valley) which had two springs and seals. ACE p/n 4008637, just over five bucks for everything. Not a difficult project.
Now the only problem you have is freezing cold or scalding hot within one degree of each other as you turn the mixing knob. We had the same problem in our 2001 Adventurer. The o rings cured the drip, drip, drip, but the temperature was still almost uncontrollable. We finally replaced the valve with a Moen from Home Depot. It was a direct replacement and made it much easier to find a comfortable temperature.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yes. I have had a temperature control knob on my shower at home for years. So nice. I will check out the Moen next time I am at the BORG. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Have Sunstar 31ke 2014. Believe it or not, manual said water heater expansion is connected to shower and dripping is normal (when water heater on). Isn't that a hell of a note.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Moen fixed the problem.. shower is no longer uncontrollable. no more water leaks. Easy fix.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I would love to replace my control valve with a thermostatic control like I have at home. Anyone done that? The Moen that Hikerdogs references is, AFAIK, just a better single handle control valve.

Tags
shower