Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Good morning folks,
Could use some ideas...my new to me 97 Winnebago Adventurer 37rw has a corner tub/shower. The drain stopper appears to be spring-loaded, with the word "push" stamped into the stopper, my guess is to use the tub for a soak. Problem is when in the "up" position, water from the shower s-l-o-w-l-y drains into the tank, with an occaisional air bubble percolating up from the drain pipe.
My question is, am I looking at a vent issue? All other drains work as designed. Or, could it be something as simple as a hairball clog? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm leary of using harsh chemicals to open a clog, are they recomended? Am I correct in assuming that the drain stopper screws into the drain pipe and is removed by turning CCW?
Thanks for any insight offered.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Good morning folks,
Could use some ideas...my new to me 97 Winnebago Adventurer 37rw has a corner tub/shower. The drain stopper appears to be spring-loaded, with the word "push" stamped into the stopper, my guess is to use the tub for a soak. Problem is when in the "up" position, water from the shower s-l-o-w-l-y drains into the tank, with an occaisional air bubble percolating up from the drain pipe.
My question is, am I looking at a vent issue? All other drains work as designed. Or, could it be something as simple as a hairball clog? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm leary of using harsh chemicals to open a clog, are they recomended? Am I correct in assuming that the drain stopper screws into the drain pipe and is removed by turning CCW?
Thanks for any insight offered.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:29 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Most likely hair, soap scum, etc. The drain plug should screw out.

Don't use Drano or other harsh chemicals. They'll destroy your seals.

Before you do anything else I'd first pour some VERY HOT water straight down the drain. That has unclogged my shower for me. Usually soap scum.

Hyou might check the vent for mud daubers nests but if only one drain is having problems I's suspect that drain.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:00 AM   #4

I bought a gizmo from Lowe's that is long with "teeth" on it. Made to remove hair clogs from drains and boy, does it work great! It was in the plumbing section hanging on a strip. Called a "Zip-It". It's a "throw-away" plastic thingy (very hard to get hair off those really sharp teeth). Works with no chemicals.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have been using Drano type drain cleaners for in my motor homes for years with no problems.
Just make sure you have several gallons of water in the grey tank and dump right after you are finished. That way the chemical is diluted and is not in contact with any seals long enough to do any damage.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Mine is a shower only and I use a hose to blast out the drain. I wrap paper towels around the hose end (I have a shut off on the end) until it is a tight fit. I then open and close the shut a few times. Cleans it up nicely.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Great ideas, thanks one and all! I should be home by tomorrow and will give everything mentioned a try and see how it goes.
Thanks again.

Peter
Old 03-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The drain is pretty simple to disassemble and clean out.

Unscrew the brass top that says "Push" on it, yes it is CCW. Mine was kinda tight, but after I got it loose it came easily.

Once off you will have the brass coated top and a large rubber seal, remove the seal, but make note of which way it sits on the plunger.

You will now see a white plastic plunger, with a big slot headed screw down the middle. Get a big standard (Flat Blade) screwdriver and unscrew it. Most likely the soap scum, hair and crud is all around this piece. Clean it all out, then I normally dump some hot water down the drain to clear the trap and such.

I lubed the plastic plunger part with some silicone spray, and put it all together. I almost just left it off, since it is a big obstruction, bit it is nice to have the tub for when I wash the cat... Which also tends to be the main cause of the drain plugging up...

Now I make a point of cleaning it out when I scrub my shower stall.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the insight John. What tool did you find most useful for getting the brass collar to loosen up?

Peter
Old 04-01-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

By collar I assume you mean the Big Brass piece that says "Push" on top. I just used a washcloth to cover it and a pair of channel locks, it came loose right away. The Inside Plunger piece I just used the biggest flat bladed screwdriver I had... Use plenty of Down Pressure to avoid stripping the screw head.

John

Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks John! Yes, you understood my poor description of the "collar". Appreciate your help.

Peter
Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE:

John, you were spot-on with your directions. Everything came apart, just as you said. No wonder the drain was slow, packed like it was with crud/scum/hair. Cleaned it up and she drains like new.
Thanks for your help, one and all.

Peter
Old 04-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Glad I could help!

John

Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Wow, you guys are great. I had the problem, came home and did a search here, and I'll bet I can solve my problem now!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
FDC
Winnebago Camper

Same problem now I have the solution. Thanks all.
FDC is offline   Reply With Quote