Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Shower Cracks

Hello, wondering what the solutions are for cracks in the shower wall panels at the base and at the top?
We have a 2015 Winnebago View have literally only taken one shower.
Unsure why these occurred, could be road vibration and travel motion i suppose?
Has anyone had to change out the shower panels to repair or send to dealer?
Interested in anyone’s experience with this issue.
Thank you in advance
Jina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	412C8532-F7B3-4B31-AC1F-02CCEFCEE655.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	178405   Click image for larger version

Name:	8B38ACC7-F1AE-430D-A1D9-E20FCAE66DA3.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	178406  

BogleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is that an expandable shower curtain rod at the top? If so, it could have caused the crack due to too much pressure. The bottom crack could be due to over-tightened fasteners. Road vibration could aggravate or even cause the issues as well.

Personally I wouldn't think about changing out or sending out the panels. I'd just stabilize the problem. At the top, and at both ends of the shower rod, I'd add a plastic weight-distributing pad so there's not so much pressure in one spot.

At the bottom, I'd slack off the fasteners, glue and/or seal the crack and reseat the fasteners, but not too tight.

I don't know why Winnebago uses such thin panels. The weight savings can't be that significant.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

It isn’t an expandable shower curtain rod. The rod sits down in the plastic grove part of the shower plastic molding. I think you are correct about the fasteners being too tight and road vibration. Now that I look closer almost each fastener has a crack and the plastic is thin.
BogleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have a crack in the base of my shower. The plastic in these showers is subjected to UV through the domed skylight shat breaks them down. I plan to replace the base and the surround in the near future.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Poor quality shower enclosure. Better to save a few bucks than provide the quality customers should receive. Replace with new unit that is better quality.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hi, 2018 View J. Noticed the caulk on the bottom of my shower surround was starting to separate. Being the proactive person I am, I started removing the caulk. While working on the caulk, I managed to break 5 of the screw caps, split the bottom lip of the surround and finally—while leaning on the corner of the shower pan, cracked the shower pan. The plastic is brittle and continues to crack. My plan is to apply JB WELD plastic epoxy on the pan crack. Not sure on longevity. The pan and surround are available through a winnebago parts supplier for about $400 (add additional $250 for shipping). Might try to replace on my own... Irritated at the thin and poor quality of the shower and pan.
ViewFromHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:27 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Used JB Weld Plastic Epoxy that works with that type of plastic (ABS i think). I had quite a crack around the drain.

Shored it up from the bottom a bit, widened the crack, roughed up a bit with sand paper, applied a bead above and below. Still holding after many years of showers by some not so light old folks.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You need something with flex. JN Weld won’t do it I think. Since this will be a visible repair and is an attempt to prolong the life of the existing shower stall I would try EternaBond roof tape. It is flexible and 100% waterproof and the color will be better. Even in the drain area it is possible to remove the drain, cut a circular patch and then cut the proper size hole in the center. It should also hold up for quite awhile. Good luck.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower