Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 89 Cheiftain with a small 4" crack just on the edge of the shower rim where it curves towards the wall that I want to repair or seal. First of all is this fibreglass or plastic? and does anyone have any ideas on how they would keep from leaking. Looks like the previous owner had some kind of white tape over it but it is coming off.

Thanks
Munch
munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 89 Cheiftain with a small 4" crack just on the edge of the shower rim where it curves towards the wall that I want to repair or seal. First of all is this fibreglass or plastic? and does anyone have any ideas on how they would keep from leaking. Looks like the previous owner had some kind of white tape over it but it is coming off.

Thanks
Munch
Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I to have a small crack starting at the top of my shower wall and going down about three inches. It has grown one half inch or so each year. When it warms up I am planning to drill a small hole at the end of the crack in hopes that will stop it from growing any further. Will then get some strong white glue and keep my fingers crossed. However I to am interested if others have any other ideas.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have heard great things about the Eternabond tape. http://www.eternabond.com/rv_repairs.htm

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

bjbkkb.....That is another good thought. I used eternabond tape on my roof seams years ago and have been very happy ever since. It should work in shower as well or better than glue. I just want to stop the crack from growing any further. Eternabond is like duct tape. It has many uses.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Correct me if I am wrong but would I have to buy the $75.00 RV roof kit? Looks like it is white and wood match the shower better.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #7

Consider using "Goop" brand flexible epoxy sealant/adhesive. You can find it at Lowes and Home Depot. Comes in a squeeze tube. Sell for $4.00+-. Goes on easily. Dries clear. Flexible and it will not let loose. Does not discolor over time. Once applied you hardly notice it. Goop is really quite the stuff. I've used it to patch plastic sinks, pvc/cast iron sewer pipes and more.

I wrote this a ways back on another forum:
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Often times when working on an RV, etc. you need to glue something. Unfortunately, silicone, epoxy and stuff just does not hold up. The silicone does not hold and the epoxy is to brittle and breaks, cracks when you hit the road and vibration occurs. Anyway, go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a product called "GOOP". It is a flexible epoxy contact adhesive/sealer. You will see various packages of it at the store with various labels such as Marine, Plumbers, Automotive and such. From what I can tell it is all the same stuff with a package color change BUT I can tell you this stuff is fantastic. Unlike regular epoxy adhesive which does not hold up well to vibration and stuff, this "GOOP" is a tad flexible and it holds up under extreme vibration conditions, etc.. For more info on this product read HERE. By the way, IF you ever need to get the epoxy adhesive to let loose, use a heat gun or hair dryer on the Goop for a few minutes as the heat will make the GOOP let go. For the record, I have used this GOOP a few times when making custom, LED Harley brake lights. The stuff is great and even an old Harley vibrating as they do can not break loose the GOOP used in assembling the brake light. Cost is $4.00 or so for a decent size tube. I usually buy the Marine GOOP but again seems they are all the same and labeled as automotive, marine and such just as a marketing ploy. Regardless, terrific stuff that every handyman should have on his bench. Hmmmm, I even used it to repair pinhole size leaks in a cast iron sewage pipe...</span>
Read here about it.

Eternabond is terrific but geez, would look like crap on a sink, tub, etc.

BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi Bill, Thanks, For the price that sounds like it is worth the try. Since the crack isn't very wide do you think it is possible to work into the crack and would you then leave some on the surface?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

This is the advice we received from the manufacturer when we had a crack in our shower in our Tiffin Allegro. We never had to do it but it sounds like good advice.

"As to repair, you can use ABS Pipe Glue, dissolve a little plastic in the ABS Pipe Glue, shavings from the edge of the Tub or shavings from a piece of ABS Pipe, to make a paste."

Good luck.

1995 Winnebago Vectra
Lorene and John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #10

GOOP is quite easy to work with. I would force some into the crack and leave a decent thickness layer on the surface. Let it go say a 1/8" on either side of the crack. It can be applied neatly.. It dries pretty clear. Takes a few hours to dry so keep water etc. off of it for at least 6 to 8 hours.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

All great ideas. Just hope it warms up here in Nebraska so I can give it a go.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by munch:
All great ideas. Just hope it warms up here in Nebraska so I can give it a go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GOOP is something you want to apply when temps are warm, not on a frigid day. Actually, I was going to mention if you slightly warm the area you are applying to (with say a hair dryer) that the Goop will often apply/flow even easier. It flows quite easily normally on a warm day. You can apply it with a Popsicle stick if you desire.

Also, only problem I find about using ABS plastic cement and chip mentioned earlier is that the bond will not be flexible and will not hold up well to any flexing. GOOP is a flexible epoxy adhesive/sealant and it does deal well with flex and vibration.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Here is what I have done on older model motor homes. First drill that tiny hole at the end of the crack, secondly place a small piece of clear shipping tape over crack. Won't leak, is flexible and will last quite awhile and cheap to fix again should the tape come off.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rapid Ray:
First drill that tiny hole at the end of the crack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, this often helps prevent further cracking. Much depends on the material that is cracking.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the tips guys. Now I to must wait for winter weather to improve. Its been below zero in Minnesota the last few days. Six more MN winters to endure before retirement then I'm out of here.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I once had a fiberglass shower repaired at a house. A mobile fiberglass shower/tub repair guy came out and for a very reasonable price repaired the crack and matched paint to fit the color of the shower perfectly. Something to look into. Good luck.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote