Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2023, 09:16 AM   #1
Life is a Journey

Septic service to dump tanks?

Newbie here that is living in a Journey 39Z Class A. The biggest issue that I have is that my semi-permanant parking spot doesn't have a sewage connection, so I have to break camp periodically to drive to a nearby RV service center and dump my tanks. I called a septic service to see if they were interested in dumping my tanks on a scheduled basis, and the owner replied that he was interested, but didn't know if the vacuum pulled by his septic truck would damage the tanks.

I hadn't thought of that, does anyone have experience using a septic service to pump out the tanks? Is it safe and is it affordable?
WMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

No experience but when dealing with community wells, fire hydrants and trucks, one way to do away with the worry of suction is opening a large vent. Fire trucks can fold up steel tanks if not venting.
So I would assume simply opening the stool flap while the pumping is going on would allow plenty of air to remove any question of too much suction.
Sounds like this is a new question for that person, so understandable that he might question it. always nice to find folks who "THINK" !!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Septic hauler trucks can somewhat control the amount of suction with the engine throttle, however morich is right, too much suction can quickly collapse a thin plastic tank.

Septic services for RV's do exist, I've been in CG's that use them, they are miniature versions of standard pump-out trucks but with an old-fashioned bi-directional hand pump instead of a motor-driven pump. I've also seen them with electric pumps.

I would at the least block open the toilet flush valve to reduce the odds of tank destruction.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

In areas where there are many full time RV folks like across the South, it is pretty common to have local haul out folks.
Have you checked with some of the local RV camp folks and asked for names. If there is money to be made, there are normally folks who do it!

https://bigyellowservice.com/portabl...g-service.html
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Heh, I forgot to include this link that explains my first reply; https://www.pumper.com/editorial/202...round-rv-tanks
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:03 PM   #6
Life is a Journey

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll check with the local campsites and RV Service techs to see if there are any companies already setup and experienced with this.
WMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 05:05 PM   #7
1996 Itasca 29Q

If you are near a place to dump your tanks, a sewer cart would work for transferring the effluent from the RV to the sewer. The tanks are vented through the RV roof so collapsing the tanks would need a great deal of suction to overcome the vent capacity.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 05:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Not sure where you are but on project trailers they bring in portable tanks and the same guys that pump out the porti-potties also dump those tanks they can be tanks a lot bigger thab whats in your RV. If the portable tank don't work for you call up a company that rents porti-potties see if they'll empty your tanks.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 05:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My next door neighbor was getting his septic pumped out. I asked the septic guy if could do my motorhome. He said yes but didn’t have his special adapter with him.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 04:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You could install an above ground septic tank.

One thing is your black and gray tank should have vents that go from the top of the tank to the roof. This will allow air out when you put water in and air in when you drain.

I don't know how much you want to invest or what sort of area you have but I've read posts by RVers that do gate guard duty. Some of them have reported that they have an above ground large septic tank that provides them with the equivalent of full hook up. The company who hires them has a truck come out and pump that and fill a big water tank.

This would provide a longer time between pump outs and a more relaxed water usage if the tank were large enough.

Tags
service, tank