Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Have a 2008 Sightseer and am looking to sanitize the water tank and plumbing. On previous HR coach, there was provision to suck the sanitizer into the tank. I don't see any way to do this on this unit. Seems the only way to draw in is using the winterizing port. Am I missing something?
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sightseers ...

I do not have the same coach ... I take it that you do not have a gravity fill "door" ...

If that is the case, the trick is to use a funnel and poor diluted clorox into your hose (using a funnel) before you connect the hose to your coach ... this will get the clorox into your water tank ...

Using the winterization port will only winterize the "plumbing" and NOT the "fresh water tank"
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

DH does pretty much the same as Skigramp, but every so often he will put the hose on the faucet and add the bleach to the hose (before there's any water in it) then run it back to the faucet and leaves it in the hose for a few minutes, then connects the hose to the water fill. He then leaves the tank full overnight and drains it the next day. This method sanitizes both the hose and the tank.
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

If you have an external water filter (the replaceable filter type), you can remove the filter and add the bleach directly into the filter housing and flush it into the water tank.
mrb604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I do the same as mrb604 -- pour your bleach into the water filter housing (take the filter out first) and then fill the tank. If you don't have an external water filter, and you want to go this way, check at a Wal Mart -- they are not that expensive. As a rule, I will once a year santize my water filler hose by putting it after the filter (between the filter and the MH) and then fill the tank letting the mix go through my water hose.

Just some thoughts to consider.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I also do the same as mrb604. If you do have the filter Dave mentioned an important part, take the filter out and leave it out until you have flushed the bleached through your lines and into the tank. Otherwise, the filter will remove the chlorine.

If you don't have the filter use the hose method. Both methods should be explained in your Winnie Operators Manual.

I had to replace the canister on my filter and found one at Home Depot that fit exactly. Had to buy the whole filter but it was less than $20.

I like having the the whole house filter which includes the tank but I also miss the gravity fill inlet. It was on the curb side and at times more convenient to use than the street side connection.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

David K, This sounds even easier...I'll have to tell DH about your method. He says he's sanitized using the filter method (filter removed)...but I'm not sure if he's ever put the filler hose after the filter when filling the tank...this elimates a step!!

Thanks for the hint!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote