Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2022, 07:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Residual RV antifreeze taste

Hey all,
I recently dewinterized for the first time and despite flushing everything I can think of multiple times I still taste/smell a bit of the antifreeze I winterized with. I’ve flushed both with city water and the fresh water tank far more than the manual calls for. Flushed the water heater multiple times and all other drains and water outlets I can think of.

My winterizing process was not ideal as I didn’t realize our Hike had a bypass for the water heater. But I feel I’ve flushed everything a ton and still get that smell/taste.

Any tips? Thanks!
Esparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Water filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esparent View Post
Hey all,
I recently dewinterized for the first time and despite flushing everything I can think of multiple times I still taste/smell a bit of the antifreeze I winterized with. I’ve flushed both with city water and the fresh water tank far more than the manual calls for. Flushed the water heater multiple times and all other drains and water outlets I can think of.

My winterizing process was not ideal as I didn’t realize our Hike had a bypass for the water heater. But I feel I’ve flushed everything a ton and still get that smell/taste.

Any tips? Thanks!
Does your RV have an inline water filter somewhere?

The first step of the winterization procedure for our 2016 ERA is removing the inline water filter and replacing it with the bypass plug. After that we pump the antifreeze into the system and lines.

When reversing the process we fill and flush the system with fresh water, then sanitize the tank and lines and flush some more. The last step is replacing the bypass plug with the inline water filter.

So perhaps you have some antifreeze in the water filter?
Old 04-29-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Would you please put the year, model, floorplan designator in your posts asking for help and advice?

We have members with all years, models and Classes here and a lot of times this info is key in us being able to help you.

Most of us put this info into our Signature in our Profile here. That way we don't have to remember to add it, and folks don't need to ask you repeatedly either.

Here's how to do it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EditSignature.png
Views:	37
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	182681  
Old 04-29-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ah, okay yes. 172BH Hike 2021
Old 04-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I’m not sure if there is an inline filter, not that I have noticed but I’ll have a look around. Most likely up or downstream of the pump?
Old 04-29-2022, 12:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Since it's a Hike, I'd guess there is no built in ice maker, or built in water filter, either.

How about your Fresh Water tank, or that little strainer filter on the inlet side of your water pump?

How are you draining the Water Heater? Pulling the master drain plug?
Old 04-29-2022, 12:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes, pulled the plastic drain plug for the hot water heater several times. Haven’t gotten to the pump much just cause it’s behind the slide and very hard to access. I thought I had it solved when I realized I forgot to flush the outdoor shower but that hasn’t totally cleared it up yet.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:25 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I had this issue on a 5th wheel I used to have. The solution? Antifreeze is for P-traps and holding tank drain valves.

I drain as much water from the tank and lines as I can, then I connect my compressor hose to the fresh water fill valve, set the compressor to 30psi and open all the faucets and the water heater drain. Turn the compressor on and give it a couple minutes, then close the water heater drain, and turn off the outside shower, the kitchen faucet and shower valves. When the bathroom sink just blows air and no water close it and hold down the toilet flush and spray nozzle until just air. Then open the shower valves and wait for just air. Then close that and open the sink faucet and wait for air. Repeat for the outdoor shower and finally the HW heater. When no more water anywhere open all the faucets and drains and let the compressor run for 5-10 minutes.

Pour a qt of anti-freeze in the kitchen sink and a quart in the bathroom sink, and the remaining 2 qts in the toilet. I do this twice every year, once in the fall before it freezes and then again in April after our spring break trip, and haven't had any issues yet. And no residual anti-freeze taste in the water lines either.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Gotcha, thanks. I was goin g to look into a way around antifreeze after this experience.

So far as I can tell there is no inline filter. The taste does seem to be getting more mild so I guess for now I’ll just continue flushing. Right now I’ve got the hose going into the fill line for fresh water tank and drain open to flush the heck out of that. Then I guess I’ll hook up city water and open all the faucets and let them go a bit and see where that gets me.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Plus one on WYOCAMPER's plan. Our RV was winterized at the dealer when we purchased. It was February. I flushed and flushed for the 2021 season. Last fall I used compressed air at 40 lbs to blow out all the water. Antifreeze in the drains including the shower, kitchen sink and the john.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky19053 View Post
Plus one on WYOCAMPER's plan. Our RV was winterized at the dealer when we purchased. It was February. I flushed and flushed for the 2021 season. Last fall I used compressed air at 40 lbs to blow out all the water. Antifreeze in the drains including the shower, kitchen sink and the john.
We've been blowing out the lines with compressed air and then pumping in antifreeze. I'm thinking the way mentioned in the above posts (blow out with air and then just fill the traps with antifreeze) probably makes more sense.

Thank to everyone that followed up.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:31 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

To be clear, it's not just the traps, you need to pour enough in the sinks and toilet to protect the holding tank drain valves too. Also I used to put some in the shower drain too, until I found out my shower has a waterless trap, so no point. Half a gallon in each tank is probably enough, but you're certainly not going to hurt anything by pouring in twice that amount.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

wyocamper, thanks for the additional feedback. I hadn't given any thought to the holding tank drain valves. I'll add that info to my winterization notes.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

To remove unpleasant taste and odor from your fresh water plumbing, baking soda is your friend. It's inert and will not harm anything.
Mix 2C in a gallon of water, pour into your water tank, fill tank, pump throughout your fresh water plumbing, allow to sit overnight then drain. No rinsing necessary.
There are commercial products sold which are the same thing.

Be aware; Camco TastePURE is only Sodium Hypochlorite @ .4% mixture (bleach).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:10 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Oh I will definitely try that. Thanks for the info!