Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-14-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Replacing Original Shower Unit

Not long after picking up our new to us 2007 Journey, I noticed a crack developing in the floor of the shower. We do not use the shower a lot, usually opting to go to the campground bath house. As we start taking longer trips this summer we however, the shower could come in handy.

I am pretty sure that UV is what has weakened the base, and from the yellowing I see on the surround, it is probably not bar from failing.

I have seriously considered just picking up a shower base and surround from Lowes or HD for the replacement. My local Mx facility said they would work with what ever I picked up.

I am sure I am not the only one to have to do this, what have some of you done with your old cracking showers?
Old 12-15-2021, 03:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Years back I had a shower base that developed a crack coming from the drain opening. Trying to find a replacement was not going to happen.

I ended up using fiberglass to repair the area. I first drilled small holes at the end of the crack to stop any further cracking. I then did the fiberglass cloth and harder. After sanding it down one could tell there was a patch there, different color etc. but that patch held for as long as I had the coach. The shower was used all the time.
be happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:15 PM   #3
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Humm I like fiberglass but/and ?????

I like fiberglass. Its a great, but messy substance, to work with. You could do the repair if fiberglass if its is compatible.

We, on our first two 5th wheel trailers, put shelving units into the shower area because it was more important to us to have storage than a shower.

We are currently in a class A and I use the shower. But, you have to note that class "A"s generaly have lots of storage
Old 12-30-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, I agree that fiberglass is messy to work with. I am wary of trying a repair because it looks like UV damage is what caused the crack in the first place. I fear that repairing the shower base in one spot will only allow a crack in a new spot. I also see similar yellowing of the ABS plastic in the surround for the shower.

We also use the shower area for storage, soft drinks, dirty clothes hamper etc. but realize that if we start taking longer trips a shower could come in handy for us.

I have checked with Winnebago, and the shower components are no longer available, so I would have to replace with something from Lippert, or just go with a Residential system.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

OK I am a few months down the road, and though I have found a replacement shower base and wall surround, nothing matches the original which will require me to ditch my nicely concealed shower mixing valve for an exposed two handle unit.

I am now looking at local tub and shower repair contractors that may be able to repair the shower base and refinish it.
Has anyone had any luck going this route?

Tags
shower