Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing kitchen sink

getting ready to replace kitchen sink on my 04 vectra 40ad. has anyone replaced a sink? what am i getting into?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Never done it but would think it is pretty much like replacing a kitchen sink in a stick house. Remove the sink, install new sink, hook up the drains and faucets.

Never looked at it but are you using an RV replacement sink or one that you can get from most any home improvement store?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

using oem sink. appears to be glued in. not like the sink at home. mounted from the bottom in corian counter.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you're installing a sink that is exactly the same size at the original, you're off to a good start (no cutting). It terms of removing the original basin, they are usually either mounted from the bottom with clips, wood, and silicone, or from the top with clips and silicone (underneath). You'll need to remove the faucet assembly and the drain assembly first. Use the opportunity to clean your traps since they'll be removed anyways.

Overall, it's not a bad job except for the fact that getting enough working space can be a real problem. In our 2004 Brave, I had to take out the 12 Volt fuse panel and the 2-way radio assembly to "simply" hook up a new faucet. Even then, it still took a lot of twisting and cursing.

What are you replacing? Plastic to stainless? If you can provide a few specifics, we can be more detailed in our response. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 06-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

it's a plastic ceramic look-a-like that was factory equipment on this coach. we bought the coach used last year and the finish on the sink is shot. i bought a replacement that is the original brand sink. i'm a little concerned about removing sink from the corian countertop without damaging the top. i don't know whether it's silicon sealer or an adhesive thats holding it in. i thought someone out there may have replaced one. any help will be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I’m thinking of someday replacing the kitchen sink too as the plastic/fiberglass (or whatever it is) is terrible pertaining to getting stained, scratched, and gouged. So I’ll be following this thread too.

Have you considered replacing your sink with stainless steel? I’d much rather have stainless steel than the OEM. I can’t find the exact dimensioned sink in steel. I haven’t called Winnebago yet nor done an exhaustive search for one.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I replaced a similar (polymer) model in our 2004 Brave a while ago. The sink was originally installed from the bottom via six clips and some sealant. It's pretty hard to damage your counter top. It's a little messy and crowded but it isn't that difficult. Stainless flush mount sinks are almost always installed from the top since they drop into the space in your counter top. They also are held in place with clips and sealant.

Since they don't have a very durable finish, it doesn't take long for those sinks to look dirty again all the time. If you have the choice, I'd consider stainless. Just one guy's opinion. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

well i received the replacement sink and guess what. it looks about like the old sink except for the bad stains. flat finish with no shine at all. the care instructions with the new sink are such that they know the sink will stain so they give you instructions on how to remove stains. tried to find a stainless steel but couldn't find one that will fit without a lot of modifications. haven't got time to do it now anyway. heading to myrtle beach sc to rest up from all this stress. i'll let you know how this turns out. maybe there is a stainless steel sink out there that i haven't looked at yet.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I called Winnebago to find the stainless sink and they referred be to some online site (something like winnebagoparts.com). This was a few years ago so things might be different now.

Jack
Old 06-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I was just in Forest City and Winnebago is installing stainless sinks in the new models. They are an exact replacement for the plastic sinks and retail for $277.90.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Doug-
Do you have any information on the parts number or model of the coach the stainless steel sinks are made for? Also, any knowledge of replacements for the bathroom sink?
Ours is a 2002 Journey DL.
munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I didn't ask about the bathroom sink but the kitchen sink is part number 110654-01-000.
Doug
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #13
KIX
Winnebago Master

I have used a 1000 grit wet sandpaper on our kitchen sink with very good results. The original sink is attached with a silicone that is not available at Home Depot. It's made to attach granite counter tops. If you're going to remove a sink attached to Corian be very careful as the silicone is much stronger that silicones commonly used.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I guess I can revive this thread again. Our kitchen sink is beginning to look pathetic. I would like to replace it with a stainless steel sink. I looked under the cabinet today and saw some clips and also some what looked like threaded screws. Anyone have any ideas? Is this thing going to be glued in with Gorilla Glue if I can get the screws out?
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote