Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacement Propane Tank

Has anyone had to replace the propane tank in their Class C? The on-off knob came off in my hand (2010 WB Aspect 28B) and I don't trust the tank anymore. I screwed it back in and we have gas inside the RV, but I'm afraid to mess with it anymore (turn it off or adjust it). We don't smell gas inside or outside the RV.

I've called several WB dealers and they're playing games with me. One gave me a price of $1125 just for the replacement cost (no shipping or installation yet); others state they could install a third-party tank for much cheaper if they had the tank measurements, but I can't get in for servicing until October and beyond. I looked up the tank part number in the WB catalog and have all the info so I'm asking dealerships in a four-state region at this point. Any recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	728b_lp-1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	174756  
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is there anything wrong with the tank itself besides the valve knob? Is it rusty? I suspect that the problem is at worst the valve and at best just the knob. The whole valve can be replaced if that is the problem at a fraction of the cost of a new tank.

Talk to an LP gas service shop. They are often in rural areas and usually also supply propane. They would be the ones I would look at to replace the valve.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Is there anything wrong with the tank itself besides the valve knob? Is it rusty? I suspect that the problem is at worst the valve and at best just the knob. The whole valve can be replaced if that is the problem at a fraction of the cost of a new tank.

Talk to an LP gas service shop. They are often in rural areas and usually also supply propane. They would be the ones I would look at to replace the valve.

David
I agree, forget the Winnebago dealers.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

That would be great if true. I was told by two RV service shops that they can't be worked on ( maybe they can't work on them). I'll call around and see what I can come up with. Thanks...
Old 08-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHarrin View Post
That would be great if true. I was told by two RV service shops that they can't be worked on ( maybe they can't work on them). I'll call around and see what I can come up with. Thanks...
Not RV service shops, LPG service companies.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:19 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Not RV service shops, LPG service companies.
Yeah, my plumber would handle that for me...
Old 08-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I'd point out that unlike the portable tanks, these apparently don't need to be recertified every 10-12 years. To me that means that being in a protected environment like an RV compartment that they aren't really subject to any significant wear or deterioration over time.

Also, unless the valve is somehow welded onto the tank and doesn't have a "bonnet" type device holding in the valve stem in place (the valve stem having been effectively installed from the the tank side of the valve), there would be no reason that the valve could not be repaired or replaced unless the valve seat was damaged and not removable.

So yeah, I think the advice to go to someone who specifically works on propane tanks and things related is a good idea.

I worry a lot about safety, but this wouldn't worry me at all.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

It's really not clear to me why you don't trust the valve if, in fact, the handle came off and the valve shaft is intact. I'm assuming that, like a water valve, the handle is screwed onto a squared off or splined valve shaft. It may be that the handle was loose or, at worst was stripped. Could you not close or open the valve after re-mounting the handle?

As long as the valve shaft is intact and the valve isn't frozen, this sounds like an easy fix.

Can you elaborate?
Old 08-26-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

It wasn’t the handle coming off the stem. It was the handle and stem coming out of the valve. It didn’t leak so I’m assuming the stem broke in half inside it’s sleeve.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It wasn’t the handle coming off the stem. It was the handle and stem coming out of the valve. It didn’t leak so I’m assuming the stem broke in half inside it’s sleeve.
Okay, that's an entirely different matter. Still though, I would see if a true propane shop could remove the stem portion and install a new stem.

FWIW, if it would leaking you'd be able to tell by the smell, but the safety issue here is you cannot turn off the tank. That's a significant problem.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

This definitely will require a valve replacement.

I wouldn't take just one shop's opinion if they say it can't be replaced, it may be that they just don't want to go to the trouble. Here's a link to a similar thread and, although it discusses a DIY approach it also includes similar advice re: seeking out an LPG shop:

https://www.busconversionmagazine.co...p?topic=6799.0
Old 08-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
This definitely will require a valve replacement.

I wouldn't take just one shop's opinion if they say it can't be replaced, it may be that they just don't want to go to the trouble.
Or that they want to make hundreds of dollars of profit selling a new tank and installing it.

Totally out of context, but I was once doing something at a bank and an old guy came in wanting a reverse mortgage. The bank didn't do reverse mortgages so they were trying to tell him that a Home Equity Line of Credit would do to the same thing. Not true at all, but without trying to sell him something they wouldn't get any credit for a sale. (And let's just assume the old guy was right, that a reverse mortgage was better for his situation than a Home Equity Line of Credit.)
Old 08-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Okay, I’ve found a shop that states they can replace the valve on the propane tank. First appointment is Sept. 5. They say they need to burn off the gas before they do the work. I have a full tank and they say it’ll take 12-18 hours to burn that off. Isn’t it possible to download the gas (not them but a gas supply company)? If you can fill it, I have to assume you can remove it, without having to waste it.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Okay, I’ve found a shop that states they can replace the valve on the propane tank. First appointment is Sept. 5. They say they need to burn off the gas before they do the work. I have a full tank and they say it’ll take 12-18 hours to burn that off. Isn’t it possible to download the gas (not them but a gas supply company)? If you can fill it, I have to assume you can remove it, without having to waste it.
According to the I linked to in post #11, it can be salvaged. I'd be trying to find an LPG company that can do both.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
According to the I linked to in post #11, it can be salvaged. I'd be trying to find an LPG company that can do both.
I wonder if that's dependent on having a working valve?
Old 08-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I had my propane tank in my class C replaced under warranty. It was close to full. Took less than a few hours while I waited.

Quote:
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:30 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

The valve was bad on ours, it was replaced in a few minutes by a propane dealer, we were told due to special training RV dealers {2} don't work on them. At least in our area.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #18
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Hook it up to my gas fire pit. I guarantee we could burn that off in 6 hours,,l
Old 08-31-2020, 08:02 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

To the person wondering how they'll empty the tank; the logical path would be via the same place they fill it. Same fittings required, different exit path. And I'd speculate they'd use the same kind of pump used to pump into a tank, plumbed to do the reverse operation.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Just a follow-up. I found an RV Service shop that fixed my frozen on-off valve on my propane tank. After 30 or so RV shops and Propane Tank Service centers said the valve couldn't be replaced, Restless Wheels RV Service Center hooked up a huge burner and spent a full day burning off the gas, then dropped the tank, changed the valve and reinstalled the tank. After a two gallon leak check, they filled it the rest of the way. Total cost: $290 for labor, $54.95 for the valve, and $48.35 to fill the tank...

Tags
ace, propane, replace, replacement, tank