Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2022, 02:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Rebuilding the Throne.

Ok in the ongoing saga of the 2004 Winnebago Brave 34D, new to us, the toilet would not hold water, or in this case as it's winter here the pink antifreeze. So another project.

Now I could have opted to just replace the entire toilet however I decided that would be a waste of money and as I have plenty of free time, rebuild it.

It needed all the Guts of the toliet replaced.
1. The Seals now you have to identify the type of toilet you have as the seals are specific to these. Cheap, I paid around 20 bucks from eBay for those.
2. A water valve, I could tell it had been leaking by the small plastic tub the PO had set beneath it
3. A new vacuum breaker with spray hose attachment.
4. A new ball valve as the old one was pitted and covered with hard baked brown stuff. Note to self this job is best handled with rubber gloves.

Our motorhome had spent much of its life setting in Arizona in the hot sun and they did not keep water or antifreeze, (RV type) in the toilet, this allows the seals to dry out and stick to the ball valve rendering it useless.

Ok, ordered all the repair parts from eBay for around 50 bucks, now you may wonder why I order parts from ebay. I live out here where they have to pump daylight to me. There is no Camping world within a couple hundred miles and our local RV place is a little high to say the least, so hope that answers your question.

There is a large band clamp around the center of the toilet stand on our toilet, with the screw in the rear. Course that's where one of the leaks occurred and rusted the stainless steel large hose clamp, but a little WD 40 and I, got it off. Oh yes, I also replaced the toilet seat, broken plastic with a Slow Close wood version from Wal-Mart for about 25 bucks as I recall.

So with the clamp removed, I lifted the top of the toilet off the pedestal and set it aside. Now you are looking at the ball valve and the old seals. Take pictures of how they are configured so you can replace them. Note how the seals of which there are two are situated. Peel them off. Now you will remove the water valve, you have already disconnected the water supply hoses haven't you, well do it. Take pictures.

Remove any plastic trim parts and you should find two screws holding the foot valve on. They also hold the water valve on. Unscrew these and remove the water valve, and the return spring, its enclosed and only goes one way take pictures.

Now the ball valve should be loose, turn it upside down and you should see a screw that you remove and then you can extract the shaft the screw was holding. To remove the ball valve, you will squeeze it together gently and it will come out, installation is the opposite. Don't drop the screw down the hole, if you do a magnet sure comes in handy, of course unless its Stainless, then its hand only , oh and before you start its a good idea to have a just emptied black tank and possibly hosed out good. After I got the top of the toilet off and the ball valve removed, I had the unit hooked to my sewer at home and took my hose and washed the black tank clean, even used a little dawn in it.

My ball valve came with a new Brass shaft to replace the plastic one and works perfectly.

I smeared some vasoline on the seals and the ball valve before installing, just to help the seals stay moist, now a lot but some. It now holds water and can't wait to use it Hurry up SPRING.

Safe Travels

Now the vacuum breaker is located on the top part of the toilet, and simply unplugs from the rubber gasket it resides in. Mine probably didn't need replacing but what the heck just to make sure.

Reassembly is just reversing what you did to take it apart, its really an easy disgusting job, but someone's gotta do it. And it saves you a ton of money.
also one of the pictures looks like the toilet is mounted on the ceiling, nope my goofy picture taking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0403 (1).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	181996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	181997  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0441 (2).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	181998  
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Now I could have opted to just replace the entire toilet however….
Just my opinion, and that doesn’t count, but your first thought looks like the way to go to me.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:24 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Jim,

Thanks for sharing. I haven't had the need to disassemble an RV toilet, but now I have a general idea of what's involved if the need arises.

Fred
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I choose not to throw something away that I know I can repair, and to me, I love the challenge and it keeps me out of trouble
Old 02-13-2022, 11:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I can't tell for sure but yours looks like it might be ceramic, in which case it was worth rebuilding. I know what you mean about a challenge.

I wouldn't repair a plastic toilet (in fact I didn't), replace it with a ceramic toilet, and consider a high-profile one at that. That's what I did and it's worth the extra money. You just need to make sure the distance from the wall to the center of the drain is adequate. The rest of the plumbing you can modify if necessary.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Throne

Yep Bob you are right, it is ceramic no I wouldn't rebuild a plastic one either, I think.

It was interesting and I learned some along the way that's what it is all about.

Safe Travels
Old 02-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I wouldn't repair a plastic toilet (in fact I didn't), replace it with a ceramic toilet, and consider a high-profile one at that. That's what I did and it's worth the extra money. You just need to make sure the distance from the wall to the center of the drain is adequate. The rest of the plumbing you can modify if necessary.
Agree, upgraded our OEM Dometic 300 with a 320, it is definitely an improvement. Also agree with making sure of your measurements. Based on the manufacturer's documented measurements, I knew the 320 would be a close fit but should work. I ended up with a 1/4" between the back of the toilet and wall. Later, installed the 300 at our hunting camp, replacing an old Thetford toilet.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Every dumpster in every marina imaginable is full of marine heads in the spring. $160 for repair parts + a nasty job, or $250 for a new head? You can guess what I will do when the time comes! We find ourselves in a throw-away society. Great write-up though! Important information to have in an emergency away from home.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sometimes the replacement is more of a problem than a rebuild, I rebuilt mine, except the ball and brown stuff, that’s just hard water, soaked those in Vinegar, you may want to lube the gasket and ball with silicone to prevent hard water unless you have a water softener.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote