Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Quiet water pump noise?

Has anyone had any experience in reducing the noise that the water pump makes? My pump is under the bed (2018 Sunstar 29VE) and is fairly noisy. I'm thinking it needs better vibration isolators for the mounting. Anyone done that? Thanks...
edju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by edju View Post
Has anyone had any experience in reducing the noise that the water pump makes? My pump is under the bed (2018 Sunstar 29VE) and is fairly noisy. I'm thinking it needs better vibration isolators for the mounting. Anyone done that? Thanks...
I tried adding vibration insulators but they made very little difference. I read about adding an accumulator tank to quiet the pump, so added one and now we can hardly hear the pump when it runs. As a matter of fact, if there is any background noise such as the TV or radio we won't hear the pump run at all. When there is no background noise, all you hear is a low purr. Granted our pump is on the floor under the kitchen sink and not the bed, so I would expect you would still hear the pump when laying in bed, but it would be more of a purr than the banging/knocking you typically hear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170415_182410.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	180801  
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Try improving the air “bubble” at the top of your water heater. Just remove the drain plug and drain all the water out. Put the plug back in and while on city water run all the hot water faucets to refill the hot water tank. This will leave a air space at the top of your water heater.

This cushion of air will work just like adding an expansion tank (which does the exact same thing) and should quiet the machine gun stutter from your pump.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Try improving the air “bubble” at the top of your water heater. Just remove the drain plug and drain all the water out. Put the plug back in and while on city water run all the hot water faucets to refill the hot water tank. This will leave a air space at the top of your water heater.

This cushion of air will work just like adding an expansion tank (which does the exact same thing) and should quiet the machine gun stutter from your pump.
THIS -works for me!
Plus look at the lines where they lay alongside things in the RV and see if it is possible to add a layer of foam pipe wrap to cushion them. Since things tend to shift around as the RV moves, a layer of foam is one way to keep it from banging as well as help save it from temperature changes in the covered spots.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...-204760811-_-N
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Good to know if we ever own a RV with a tank water heater. Our current RV has a tankless water heater.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Hi Creativepart, If I drain the water heater, then refill it with valves open, how does this leave an air bubble? I'll have to look at the outlet from the tank. I'm guessing it might not be at the very top, hence the air bubble. But if that's the case, I've already done that since I've drained my tank several times and refilled it. Wouldn't there always be an air bubble? Sorry if I don't understand.
edju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #7
Site Team

Over time with use the air gap can get smaller and smaller. If you drain the water heater frequently then that may not apply to you.

Do you see any seepage from the pressure relief valve? Because that can indicate that you’ve lost the air gap at the top of rhe water heater.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I added a 2 gallon accumulator tank under the bed in our 24V. While it did little to quite the pump the pump runs a lot less. With the frequent trips to head at night the accumulator tank will normally get us thru the night without the pump running at all.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

So, doing this will affect the water pump noise even when running just the cold water? That doesn’t make sense to me, although I am not a plumber and don’t know much about MH water systems. Can someone explain for a noob?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #10
Site Team

Yes, it can help with stuttering or “machine gunning” noise from a water pump. It’s exactly the same as adding an accumulator tank which does the same thing. And your cold water supply does feed the water heater so, it’s not just a hot water thing.

Keep in mind this may not be a fix for everyone and every noisy water pump. It’s just one thing to try.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #11
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Waterpump noise

After looking at the picture it seems as if there are only two lines at the pump - one IN and one OUT. Would it be possible to move the pump to a more remote location? Perhaps it would fit in the water bay or like someone else said under the sink?

I did some thing similar in my sailboat years ago and the noise was much less when it was not mounted on a sounding board (same with the accumulator).
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:17 PM   #12
2019 Sunstar 29ve

Quote:
Originally Posted by edju View Post
Hi,
Did you ever solve your issue with the noisy water pump under the bed. I have a 2019 Sunstar 29ve with the same issue, pump under the bed. I plan on working on this in April with foam padding or something to quite it down a bit!
Thanks
Old 02-06-2022, 04:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

If I had a pump under the bed and it was abigbother for the person sleeping while the other is up to the bathroom during the night, I might go full bore on getting quiet.
If the pump under the bed is a big problem, I would look at how easy it might be to adapt methods to avoid using the pump during the night!

A dead quiet pump is one that doesn't do anything all night and one way to do that is a jug of water in the bath for night flushes, etc.

Rv takes modified methods?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, water, water pump