Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question about winterizing

Hi everyone,

I’m working on Winterizing my 04 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. I’ve drained all the fresh water using the drain line valve in the basement compartment closest to the entry door and I’ve set valves to divert and to bypass the water heater. I’ve operated the outdoor shower and all faucets in the kitchen and bath, shower and toilet until I have good flow of steady pink RV antifreeze. Also the grey and black tanks are empty. My question… is there anything else that I’m missing? In the past I had an older class C that I had to remove a plug near the bottom of the hot water heater? Is there anything like that in this adventurer that I need to address? If so, where is it located? Any advice would be greatly appreciated… it’s supposed to drop into the 20’s tonight. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1555F041-E29B-4F72-8ADC-DA1C938F4FFD.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	181340  
JamieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes, here's a photo of an Atwood water heater drain plug. If you have a Suburban brand water heater it's nearly the same though metal and not plastic. It will also have an anode rod on it that pulls out when you remove the plug. The Atwood brand doesn't have an anode rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 11.58.09 AM.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	181341  
Old 11-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That’s it! Thank you.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

JamieC, do you have an ice maker, washing machine, and/or dishwasher? Extra steps for those. My RV has separate hot and cold low point drains as well as a drain valve on the fresh water tank. Does yours have something like that?

The tips in post #2 about the water heater are really good. You might also want to flush it out though. My Suburban water heater had a bunch of crud in it.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the additional information. Flushing the water heater might be a good idea. When I removed the drain plug, I definitely got a whiff of that old smelly water odor. I don’t have a dishwasher, washer Ming machine or ice maker. I did drain the fresh water tank. It’s the drain that is visible in that pic that I uploaded with this post. Are these ‘low point’ drains underneath the coach? Thanks
Old 11-24-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

While I always drain the holding tanks, there is a bit of wayter left inmost, so I go one step further and use the pink to add a cup or so in each holind tank and certainly in every drain trap!
\What I have found is that it seems the taniks are empty but if I just close the valve there is often some still draining which can collect att eh end of the pipe at the valve, so adding some pink makes that less likely to ever freeze.

The traps are one which is easy to miss----like the one in the shower? They are meant to hold water to block odors but they also do a great jjob of holding water to freeze and break!

Also look at the little plastic filter at the water pump? If it is set with the bottom up, it drains but if it has been installed bottom down, the water is often left to freeze!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

JamieC, if you have low point drains the valves would be somewhere in your coach and the drain tubes would extend down under your coach. Not sure if you have them or not. Here is a link to your plumbing diagrams from Winnebago.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

You have to scroll down and then click on your model. You can also get wiring diagrams that are very helpful too.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter