Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Pump Switch reversed on it's own

After dumping the black and grey tanks, I used the outside shower to rinse the dumping hose.
I seemed to lose pressure but was finished, so was not worried.
Then came back in RV to add Black Tank deodorizer and some water. But no water pressure. Checked the pump switch, which was "on" but the light was out!!
Switched the pump switch to "off" position and light came "on" and pump started!!!
So, what could have caused this??
Appreciate any help...
Best Regards, to my new Friends...
I-B-RIDING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is this a three way switch setup on the pump--perhaps a second switch in the bathroom?

That would explain the switch behavior, but not the light.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Since there are tons of different ways to make an RV work and there are tons of different RV, which one do you have? Motorhome or trailer? Year, make, and model are all important to know what to expect.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

This is a 2008 Winnebago VIEW 24J on a 2007 Sprinter chassis.
Thanks for the reply,
Paul
Old 09-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Is this a three way switch setup on the pump--perhaps a second switch in the bathroom?

That would explain the switch behavior, but not the light.
Not a 3-way switch. And no switch in the bathroom or in the cabinet for the waste dumping.
But good thoughts. I will keep an eye out for a possible second switch.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 09-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

This is the portion of the drawing that relates to the water pump. I've marked out the "extra" info with grey to ignore.
The wire I've marked with green is the ground lead (wire JY) at the pump connection on pin one of the plug. That leaves pin two (wire JY) being the battery coming in to run the pump that I marked with blue. At the switch wires JA is battery coming from a fuse and JP is ground. This drawing shows no other switches or complications.
What I "think" I see is battery comes into the switch on wire JA on pin 2, through the switch if closed to come out on wire JS on pin 7 to go to the monitor panel and pump to make it run.
I would go this way with this info. First, I would want to check again to see it does the same and is an actual problem but if it does still act bad, I would assume the problem would have to be in the switch. Maybe before taking it out, try to wiggle it around a bit to look for loose connections or internal parts. The internal parts on toggle switch can sometimes flip or slip out of position.
Click the picture to get a better view or if you want the whole picture, this is snipped from the bottom of sheet 2 F3 of this drawing:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_160317.pdf
Tricky problem but not very many locations for the cause to hide out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump wiring.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	174984  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

This is awesome Morich!! Thank you for doing so much work. I will use this in future. For now, I discovered there is a second switch in the dumping station cabinet.
Thanks again, much appreciated!!!
Old 09-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Took another look, and you are correct there is a second switch. If you had not mentioned it, I would not have found it. So, Thanks very much for your help.
Paul
Old 09-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-B-RIDING View Post
This is awesome Morich!! Thank you for doing so much work. I will use this in future. For now, I discovered there is a second switch in the dumping station cabinet.
Thanks again, much appreciated!!!
That's not where I was expecting it, but considering when it reversed that makes sense.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have 3 switches. In the bathroom, the kitchen and the wet bay. I've never used the pump while at the wet bay, but I just checked and the light comes on when I push it. The other 2 switches have always worked as designed, so I'll presume the wet bay one does also.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Did you check the pump switch in the wet bay where you fill water and dump your tanks?
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #12
Salianron

I know it is strange, but my 2011 Via had pump switches that worked the way you described. Sometimes without touching either of the other two switches, the bathroom switch would not turn the pump on when I flipped it but would work when I flipped it back again. It made me nervous but never totally failed. My current 2019 View has different switches --- less confusing.
Salianron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch