Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Propane Tank Leak Issue

I have a 2017 Vista LX 30T.
Seems I have a leak at the turn on / shut off valve stem. When the valve is off there is no leak, as I turn it on I can hear and smell a leak coming from around the stem from behind the knob. With a little adjusting it seems to stop but I would like to fix that. I would imagine that it could be a packing or an O ring but since it has gas in the tank I was not sure if I could fix this.
Looking for some thoughts on the subject, maybe this has happened to one of our members before.

2007 Winnebago Outlook 31C
Paletinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Valves can wear out but they are often designed to be fully open or fully closed as a way to reduce leaks. Does it seem to leak when in either of those or only as it is in between?
If leaking when fully open, I do not suggest working on it as it is just too hazardous, so I would try asking around at local propane shops.
Fire and explosions are not a thing to risk on DIY.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

No leaks when fully closed and as its being opened the leaking is not the same throughout the opening process but pretty substantial at times. A bit concerning actually, as for when its fully opened I have to mess with it to get it to stop. I will likely have to see about a fix since this is a new issue I have not seen over the years of owning the built in type of tank that comes on most class A's.
Your input is appreciated!

Old 11-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Does the valve have a large nut where the valves stem goes into the body of the valve. That is the packing adjusting nut. With a wrench, close it (clockwise) until you feel significant resistance. That should stop the leak.

If it does not have a packing adjusting nut, backing out the valve all of the way unit it "back seats' will also stop the leak.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks David, there is a what appears to be a packing nut behind the handle and normally I would just loosen a tad then re-tighten as needed to keep the opening and closing smooth and leak free but the nut would not budge easily so I thought I best check with the community before I get out the cheater bar

I see this issue to be a delicate one unless someone from the community has actually done it and can advise.
Thanks Again.

Tags
leak, propane, tank