Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Preventing Freezing Propane Lines?

Not seeing anything specific come up in a cursory search, so here goes: does anyone have any tips/tricks/product experience for keeping lp gas lines from freezing at the tank valve in weather like many of us are enjoying?

I had issues in January out in Fort Davis and Carlsbad but attributed the cause to the cheap level indicators installed between the tank valve and the lp hose. All I have now is the hose screwed to the tank valve and it's still freezing up every three hours or so.

The short term solution is to switch the valve from the tank with the frozen line to the other tank and run it until it freezes and then switch back. We're at home and the trailer is winterized but I'm working on the theory that propane is cheaper than plumbing repairs and it would be nice not to have to switch tanks every few hours - here or on the road.

Ideas? Thanks so much.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If power is handy, hang a light bulb on it and put a box over the bulb. If it is going to be wet and you want to save the box, add a plastic trach bag over it all.
But then part of the problem may be that propane tanks tend to lose pressure as they get cold. That getting cold is due to temp but also the use of propane causes a lowering of the tank pressure!
So in cold weather you can get a nasty "feedback" situation. The temp goes down and you are using propane so pressure goes down and that turns right around and causes less pressure!
So tucking the light bulb heat in and closing the bag at the bottom to cut cold air to the tank is a good thing.
For a really cold situation, using hay or straw to build something like a "room" around the tank can do a lot. Same idea can work for keeping the cold out from under the RV.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
...But then part of the problem may be that propane tanks tend to lose pressure as they get cold. That getting cold is due to temp but also the use of propane causes a lowering of the tank pressure!
So in cold weather you can get a nasty "feedback" situation. The temp goes down and you are using propane so pressure goes down and that turns right around and causes less pressure!...

I kind of thought that's the larger issue; am hoping some armaflex over the hoses can help some but a shop light and a black plastic bag may be the answer. It will plug into the side of the trailer just fine. Something else to carry in the winter.

Sigh...
Old 12-23-2022, 03:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

When working really cold weather and using a propane fired generator for power, we did all kinds of weird things to get heat to the gas tank. This was a small trailer generator where the tank just set in a rack on the back so that it was totally exposed to cold.
Working at night and cold weather took some real thought to keep the tank warm enough to not let the pressure go so low we lost the generator!
If you let the generator die because the tank was too cold, it got tricky trying to get things back in the dark except for truck lights!

You might also look at something like a heating pad that could be strapped to the tank but the light is what we had on hand and that was what got used.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

One tip for cold weather RVing is to light a burner on your stove for a minute before turning on your furnace to get a little bit of propane flowing before the high demand of the furnace kicks in.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

One trick is to cover your tanks and regulator/lines with an electric blanket.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
One trick is to cover your tanks and regulator/lines with an electric blanket.

I like this idea a lot. Having trouble finding a real incandescent light bulb around here - everything's LED these days.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
One tip for cold weather RVing is to light a burner on your stove for a minute before turning on your furnace to get a little bit of propane flowing before the high demand of the furnace kicks in.

Indeed. I do this some before pulling out to ensure the refrigerator will work on propane when we unhook the shore power. Generally, opening an LP tank is the first thing I do when I approach the trailer so it has a few minutes to fill the lines before I try to use any appliance that needs gas.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
When working really cold weather and using a propane fired generator for power, we did all kinds of weird things to get heat to the gas tank. This was a small trailer generator where the tank just set in a rack on the back so that it was totally exposed to cold.
Working at night and cold weather took some real thought to keep the tank warm enough to not let the pressure go so low we lost the generator!
If you let the generator die because the tank was too cold, it got tricky trying to get things back in the dark except for truck lights!

You might also look at something like a heating pad that could be strapped to the tank but the light is what we had on hand and that was what got used.

Was wondering about that as I was breaking in my 2500 Champion dual fuel genny last night before the temps dropped. There was no issue at 45 degrees but not so sure about keeping the generator going in these temps with what we're working with on the furnace.

At least we're learning for next time we're winter camping when it will be a bit more important with water we will need in the lines. The camper is winterized so I really shouldn't be fussing with this as I am but as I said, propane is less expensive than plumbing repairs.

Hope everyone is warm and enjoying the holidays!

Bob
Old 12-27-2022, 01:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout One View Post
I like this idea a lot. Having trouble finding a real incandescent light bulb around here - everything's LED these days.
Yup, no more incandescent bulbs, now I use a reptile heater, with a thermocube.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

If you'd rather have 100W heaters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SDCI0376&psc=1
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The freeze temperature of propane is -306 degrees Fahrenheit, a condition not foundnaturally on earth. The issue is probably water vapor that has frozen in the regulator as the propane changes from a liquid to a gas it releases the energy that was "lost" pressurizing it from a gas to a liquid. (The compressor got hot filling the tank.) This is similar to the way that that the RV gas refrigerator works.

If you have a hot pot or camp fire, heat some water, put it on a dish rag and put the rag over the regulator. Pour more hot water over the rag as it cools.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 05:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

One More Thing - Afterthought

A change of LP supply pipe diameter from small to large will reduce pressure in the large pipe and the reduction in pressure energy will be accompanied by the pipe cooling down. This can happen at the tank valves (large diameter tank port to small diameter hose/connection, as well as at the regulator.

Same fix, heat up the valves avoiding an open flame.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, vent