Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Presurized Water system leak

My fresh water system seems to have a pressure water leak. No problem when using full/partially full tank and water pump. When using campground water (pressurized input) through either the hose reel (checked and not leaking) or the system water input, we have water leaking below water compartment. The water appears to becoming in from the front of the compartment. I suspect a split water line or fitting on the input side to the pressurized system.

Any thoughts on the best way to get to it?
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #2

Are you using a water pressure reducer or regulator? If not, do you know how much water pressure is coming from the park supply? Before buying and installing a water pressure regulator, I was hooked up at the RV park here and the supplied water pressure was too much for the fittings of my on board water distribution system. The leak went away when I installed the regulator.

If you are running with a reducer or regulator, make sure that they are working correctly. Otherwise you will need to start looking at the distribution pipes in your service bay where the city water is hooked up and beyond to see if there is a split or a loose fitting.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not only do I use a pressure reducing device, but all water entering my tank, whether a fill or for use using the city water system goes through a filter system. And yes, that was one of my first thoughts.

This whole thing may have happened last winter when we were in SE Nebraska for a couple of weeks around my mothers' funeral. We had some very cold weather and the pipe damage may have occurred then.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I believe Winnebago uses a check valve on the water input. It should be right behind or maybe part of the water connection. That might be worth a check.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Robb

Your water service bay has three metal panels. The center one comes out relatively easy, bottom second easy, and top not so easy. Removing the center panel will allow you to get eyes & fingers behind the upper panel and you may be able to tell where the leak is. Replacing a check valve or fitting will likely require removal of the upper panel, but I believe you would have to remove the middle panel first anyway. Let us know what you find...
Old 02-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Paul. That is what I thought I would have to do. I had all 3 off about 2 months ago but didn't see anything. Now that I know it is happening with pressure from the street side I'll tear into it again and see what I find. The last time I didn't have external water pressure on the system.

By the way, you are right. There are about 40 screws total, some are easier to get at than others.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Robb ... tell me about your experience in taking the upper panel off ...I presume you had to take the plumbing loose? (hmmm ...wonder if you didn't get something back on tight???). I need to replace my shore water check valve as it dribbles a bit unless I have the pump on to keep good pressure against it. I've dawdled about replacing it ...just cap it when I need to ... because I haven't felt like going to the trouble...
Old 02-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Now that I think about what I did, I didn't remove the top panel. That will be my next effort. Looking at the plumbing diagram, I suspect that I will have to remove some of the fittings to get to my problem. I'll let you know as soon as I get to it. Right now the coach is in the shop for a generator that stopped working. They say it is the fuel pump....
Old 02-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

With respect to the "Dribble" of water out the shore water hook-up connection, look very closely at the little spring loaded plastic check valve. This little valve is located just inside the connection point. Several times on my rig, little bits of "crud" have got stuck between valve and its seat. One time it was a little bit of stone. Picked it out and all was fine. Worth a look, for a no cast fix!!!
Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
With respect to the "Dribble" of water out the shore water hook-up connection
Mine has been dribbling for 3 years or so now ... the check valve isn't accessible as there is a hose reel installed so the dribble is out the end of the hose on the reel ... guess the hose reel connects to the plumbing somewhere behind all those metal plates ... I'm a fulltimer, so capping the hose when moving between RV parks isn't a big deal. I'm not hopeful it is debris, but digging deep enough to look MIGHT not hurt much as long as I get rid of the pressure in the lines first!!