Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Pex tubing

I'm in the process of replacing the fresh water tank fill valve on my 2012 Winnebago Adventurer 37F. I have the fittings loose, but cannot for the life of me remove the pex tubing from the valve. The valve for those who are not familiar with this set-up is a tee with a lever for normal use (city water)and by turning valve to the left fills the fresh water tank. The pex tubing is 1/2 inch diameter and a inch and a half long on each side of the tee.All the plumbing is behind this panel with not a lot of room for tools or to work. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Steve
steve4539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If I'm reading this right, I would just cut the Pex and replace it as well. It's hard to get it off in the best of conditions, In a tight spot as you describe I think it would be easier just to cut it off.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Pex plumbing is fastened by metal fittings crimped to seal. I don't know of any way to release the crimped seal short of cutting off with a Dremel tool. The crimpers are VERY expensive, check out Shark-bite fittings available at Home Depot and the like.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The original Pex tool was very expensive. The new style is about a third or less of the cost of the original. It should also be available to rent. I just purchased 10 of the new style clamps for .59 cents each.
The new style clamps are a pain to get off but with a side cutter or dremal tool it can be done. The old style can only be removed with a Dremal tool I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

You can get a Pex ring removal tool at Lowes or Home Depot for about $20.00, I have one and works great!!!
burton298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Even at a third of the price of the older Pex crimper, you could buy quite a few sharkbite fittings. To crimp 1-5 fittings, the tool isn't worth it IMO.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have removed PEX rings with side cutter pliers but the dremel sounds better. Sharkbite works great but does not have the range of valves that the MH might use so do what works best.

I wonder if the valve mounting plate is removeable...no idea but it is a thought.

If it is it might be reasonable to have somebody crimp a piece of pex to the new valve then replace the panel and use a sharkbite splice or two to put it all together.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Even at a third of the price of the older Pex crimper, you could buy quite a few sharkbite fittings. To crimp 1-5 fittings, the tool isn't worth it IMO.

Your right, not worth it if this would be the only time it would be used. I would look at renting one.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I bought one just to have to make or change plumbing. It was around $50. at Lowes
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Back up the bus (motorhome) a minute.

This is the Winnebago forum. Winnebago uses "Flair-It" fittings. They are reusable and require no special tools.

http://www.flairit.com/

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

There is a small percentage crimper that is just 3 sizes and no handle - the fitting uses the jaws of a vise grip to crunch the fitting ring. If I remember it was less than 20 bucks. Sorry I don't have a pic or u r handy. If I find it I'll post it.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

pex tubing

Thanks for all the reply's. I should have stated that there are no bands or clamps or compression sleeves just the pex pushed on the tee and tighten with the plastic nut. All the plumbing in the unit is this way. Our old 1999 unit used the clamps and bands and the tubing was different colors I was thinking about trying a heat gun with a low setting to make the pex a little more flexible. Thanks again Steve.
steve4539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I changed out several PEX fittings and added a few in our previous motorhome. I also added shut off valves at each faucet in our new motorhome. The easiest way to get the PEX to release from the old fittings is to heat the tube at the fitting with a hair dryer. A few seconds of heat and the tubing becomes pliable enough to remove it.

I also heated the tubing just prior to pushing it on the new fittings. Make sure you slide the nut over the tube before heating it. Again a few seconds of heat then push it on the new fitting. Slide the nut up to the threaded end of the fitting and hand tighten it.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The last two used coaches I bought had plumbing modifications made by the previous owners. Both were kind of a mess.

To your problem, once you unscrew the nut try to twist the tubing or the fitting to work it loose. You may have to trim the tubing before you re-fit. Sometimes the tubing can stretch if it is re-fit too many times. If it is stretched it might not seal properly.