Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2022, 12:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

PEX elbow on water heater assembled wrong

I had a bad experience that could have been worse. We just finished breakfast and turned on the hot water heater in our new Winnebago Vista 29. We heard a pop and water was coming out from under the kitchen sink. I'm glad we were there when it happened.
The output fitting on the hot water heater was off.

The drawers under the sink and panel had to be removed to get to the back of the hot water heater.

After examining the fitting, I found that the nylon retaining clip was installed backwards. The fitting is made to be pressed on place when installed on the water heater. One side of the clip is beveled and the other squared off. The bevel makes it easy to press on and squared side keeps it from coming off.
Someone at Winnebago has the strength of a gorilla and pressed in place. The pressure from the expanding hot water pushed the beveled side through the retainer cap.
I was able to reverse the clip and assemble the fitting. The fitting was easily pressed in place with the PEX tubing secure.
ggingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Good for you! That is the best reason to always shut off the CG water faucet before leaving your RV unattended.
I've done that ever since we had a water connection inside a wall come loose. We were inside eating when a friendly neighbor spotted water running from our RV and informed us.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, led, water, water heater