Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

? on WH Check valve

The checkvalve on the out flow side of the water heater is again chattering, I replaced it about 1 year ago. My question is; is this valve necessary? I think I read somewhere it wasn't but I can't find that post. It is a real pain to get to to, we full time so we don't winterize the rig.

TIA
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It is needed for winterizing but if you don't ever intend to winterize then you could remove it.

We full time also and never intended to winterize again but then last winter my SIL passed away. My wife is the executor of the trust and we had to go to CO in Feb so guess what?

After a few days I was able to connect to water, sewer and electricity, de-winterize and live in the motor home so it worked out okay.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Had one of mine out for years with no problems. When I was home for extended times, I drained anyway so didn't need to winterize. Also kept a heater going inside on the coldest days just to be sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmo View Post
The checkvalve on the out flow side of the water heater is again chattering, I replaced it about 1 year ago. My question is; is this valve necessary? I think I read somewhere it wasn't but I can't find that post. It is a real pain to get to to, we full time so we don't winterize the rig.

TIA
if you have a check valve that you can take apart, you can just take the guts out and reassemble it.
the part numbers for the camco brass check valves that you cannot disassemble are male: 882032130, female: 23303
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't think the water heater check valve has any thing to do with winterizing. What allows winterizing without including the water heater are the water heater by pass valve or valves. The check valves are to prevent the heating of the supply water line.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Itasca Meridian 36G

you can remove, you will then need to drain and blow out the lines rather than antifreeze. You can also install a ball valve in its place, and close when you want to winterize.

I just replace mine this spring for the first time. hoping it lasts another 6 years.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I don't think the water heater check valve has any thing to do with winterizing. What allows winterizing without including the water heater are the water heater by pass valve or valves. The check valves are to prevent the heating of the supply water line.
The inlet check valve works as you describe. The outlet valve is for winterizing. You can check out the plumbing diagrams for yourself on this forum.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The single valve bypass set-up requires the use of a check valve to make it work. Multiple valve bypass designs do not.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Two check valves and one manual valve are necessary for winterizing. An alternate is there manual valves which can also be used for winterizing. The saved money with the plastic internal parts check valves. Leaving out the cold side inlet check valve will allow the water up stream in the cold water line back flow from the WH when the stuff like the toilet is flushed and become slightly warm. That never bother us however. So go for and and remove them once and for all. And you can still winterize with air pressure.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote