Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Our 2005 Meridian came equipped with the non contact tank level system. Last July we were at Forest City and they checked out the complaint that the grey water does not register right and got it working again. It is doing it again and I want to know if there are any magic chemicals to put in the tank that will clear the problem?

Itasca Meridian 2005
Ken and Paulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Our 2005 Meridian came equipped with the non contact tank level system. Last July we were at Forest City and they checked out the complaint that the grey water does not register right and got it working again. It is doing it again and I want to know if there are any magic chemicals to put in the tank that will clear the problem?

Itasca Meridian 2005
Old 11-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, there is no use in using a "magic chemical" as your sensors are mounted outside of the holding tanks with no penetration.

I've no idea what they may have tweaked, could be an electrical connection problem or could be a problem with the where and how it is attached to the outside of the tank.

I'd call Customer Service and see if they would give you some idea.

Please let us know what you find out, I may need to know sometime in the future - but knock on wood, so far I've been well pleased with the new sensor system.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If the crud on the tank wall builds up enough it can fool even the non-contant sensors. The maker of the sensors told me it would take "an inch of build up", but I don't think that is accurate - I think it's much less.

I pressure washed the sides of my black water tank and the system worked for a few tank fulls and is now reading 2/3 full all the time. The full light is still working.
I can't get to the walls of the grey water tank so it shows full all the time.

Customer service said to use "Electrosol" dishwasher detergent in a 1/3 full tank and drive the coach for a day. He said it may take several days of driving and emptying tanks before it cleans them. We have been sitting for several weeks and have not tried it. I have bought the detergent and will try it in a couple of weeks when we head for Quartzite.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I use the black tank flush after dumping, when in a campground and let the water run for 3 minutes as my Winnebago manual specifies. My tank is clean and the external sensors have not failed.

currently parked on the beach at Apache CG, lot #79, Myrtle Beach
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
... currently parked on the beach at Apache CG, lot #79, Myrtle Beach </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, We're in FL right now but we're comin' home on the 21st. Send me a PM and we'll hook up and do dinner. Last time up your way we stayed at Briarcliff RV Resort and we had dinner at the Giant Crab. Now if I could only find a Giant Steak that would be more my style.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your posts. When Winnebago repaired the 50 amp service the grey water tank indicator started working properly. Sounds like a wiring problem so guess I will have to study the wiring diagram. I am considering putting a back flush valve on the grey tank like the one on the black water tank. Should not have to do things like this to a less than one year old unit.

Itasca Meridian 2005
Old 11-13-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ken,

We have a 2005 Vectra 40KD with a similar problem (among MANY others WAY too numerous to mention here). We had it repaired at the dealer about 10 days ago, but we have a new variation of the same problem now. It started out that after dumping the black tank, it would never register "empty" -- it would read 1/3, despite using the San-T-Flush religiously after dumping. The technician said that he had seen this problem before and replaced one of the sensors. He said that the sensors are all linked together and when one goes bad, they all start acting wacky. The problem went away for a few days, but now the grey tank goes from 1/3 to full without seeing 2/3 most of the time, and if the 2/3 LED ever does light, it probably is lighted for the duration of brushing your teeth before the full LED illuminates. Looks like maybe another bad sensor and/or logic board on the panel if you ask me -- maybe same for you. I have sent a request for new parts to be ordered to have it fixed again.

My advice would be to pursue it along those lines.

Hope this helps.
bbk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
cwg
Winnebago Camper

The technician at our dealership has stated that he has found out that there are sometimes problems with the new sensor system when other wires in the motorhome are routed too close in proximity to the sensors on the outside of the tank. It may give false readings and he has had to reroute some of the offending wiring.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

How about using a bag of ice in each tank before driving for the day, along with the Electrosol? That should speed up the cleaning process.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info on the probeless system. I have purchased the boards, and sensors to upgrade my coach but now I am wondering if it worth it. I can clean my probes fairly easily. Has anyone out there upgraded their coach? If so, have any trouble?

Based on the info I have, it is basicly a plug in upgrade. There was info in the tech tips of the WIT magazine describing the upgrade.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I've always had problems with the gray tank level monitoring system until I started using a FlushKing to back-flush the gray tank. It now behaves pretty well. My theory is that the gray tank is prone to getting coated by soap and food waste matter in the gray waqter. At any rate, a good back-flushing seems to have done the trick. Best of luck.
Jack
Old 11-19-2005, 05:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How about using a bag of ice in each tank before driving for the day, along with the Electrosol? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tried that early on in the black water tank (couldn't get ice in the grey water tank) with no results.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:25 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone out there upgraded their coach? If so, have any trouble? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I bought the system in Sep at Forrest City while I was having some warranty work done.
Afer installation the grey and black water still read full.

Customer service was great and did a bunch of trouble shooting - replaced the board, the grey tank sensors, taped the wires to make sure they were not too close to metal - but finally gave up.
I have talked to the manufacturer of the sensors (very nice people) but they have no solution. If you have enough build up on the tank walls the only thing you can do is get them clean somehow.

In my case, we full time and stay at campgrounds for several months without moving. I have not used any chemicals for almost two years so there has been plenty of time for crud to build up. I knew that but was hoping the non-contact sensors would work without the use of chemicals, but given my circustances that is not the case.