Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Some or all - not sure which - 2005s come with a non-contact tank level sensing system.
If you have one I would appreciate any comments about how well it works.

I am considering doing an upgrade.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some or all - not sure which - 2005s come with a non-contact tank level sensing system.
If you have one I would appreciate any comments about how well it works.

I am considering doing an upgrade.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Upgrade? The sensing system or the coach?

If it is possible to upgrade the sensing system I'd sure like to have it done if the new eternal system works better. The current system is little better than no system. One day the black tank reads 2/3rds and the next morning it reads empty. I go out and empty both, flush the black and flush again including Flush King and what do they say - 1/3 full.

So, if the new system does work much better and you can upgrade, and they don't want an arm and a leg or our next born (we are both over 60 so that is impossible), I'd sure consider it.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I asked a Winnebago factory service rep the other day if this was a practical retro fit for my 2004 33V, and his opinion was that it was not. Agreeing that nothing is impossible, he said the necessity of replacing the wiring harness placed it close to that catagory... Pity...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have about 10K miles on our new MH and it works great! Our 2001 Adventurer never worked properly; the new one still seems very accurate.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:09 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

From what I understand, the wiring harness would NOT have to be replaced. I was told that the new system only uses one pair of wires from each tank to the monitor panel. So, the 3 series-wired adhesive-backed sensors (per tank), would have to be placed on the tank wall, and spliced to a pair of wires running back to the monitor. Then that same pair of wires would have to be spliced into the respective sensor wire at the monitor.

FWI, a system similar to this has been available in the marine industry for several years. I might have the website bookmarked. I'll have to check.

On edit: here one link for a retrofit. Non-contact tank monitor
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Contradictory info from the factory (if thats where your info is from)is certainly not unknown. What about the display?.. Any further info you have would be of interest...rgr..
Old 01-24-2005, 03:30 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Contradictory info from the factory (if thats where your info is from <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The factory never said that I could retrofit the new system; that was my call after hearing the details of how the new system operates. Getting to each of the tanks will be the toughest part of the job. And yes, the existing monitor panel would need to be replaced with the one for the new system.
Indian River, De
Old 01-24-2005, 03:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the further info Cap'n...rgr...
Old 01-24-2005, 06:57 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I installed a SeeLevel tank monitoring system on my Allegro Bus. Like the TrueLevel, this system uses external sensors that aren't affected by fouling. But, unlike the 1/3, 2/3, Full thing the SeeLevel system gives you a digital readout in percents that is accurate to 2%. In the past if the tank level indicated 1/3 I didn't know if it was really 1/3 full or just under the 2/3 mark. With the SeeLevel setup you will know exactly how much it is. Various models are available and can include inside temperature, outside temperature, LP tank levels, battery voltages, etc. I have a second panel mounted in the basement to monitor levels while dumping and filling. The system does retrofit any existing system and you can use the existing wires to the tank sensors so you don't have to fish all new wiring to the tanks. I bought mine direct from SeeLevel and there website is www.rvgauge.com which gives much more info and pricing of the various systems. If you call them they are very good with answering any questions you have. I really like mine and wouldn't go back to the old way any more.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Cruzer for the web address for the level sensors. Thats interesting, and I'll be looking into it.. Thanks again...rgr...
Old 01-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I asked a dealer about this. He spoke to the factory while I was standing there and got the part numbers for the display pc board and sensors to order. He also got some info about the installation. There are several pigtail lengths for the sensors and you need to order them long enough to reach the existing connector but not longer - you don't want to coil the wires. They have a bunch of lengths starting at 4 inches (as I recall) and going up to 70 inches or so.
You need to keep the sensors one inch from metal.

I spoke with the people that make the sensors. They are active sensors and only use two wires going back to the panel. Existing cables and connectors will work. You can cut and splice the pigtails to avoid coiling them.

Ventline makes the display circuit board that interfaces with the sensors. This is a drop-in replacement for the existing Ventline board.

You will need to be able to access the side of each tank so the sensors can be applied. The only one on my Sightseer that is any problem is the gray water tank. I have to remove an access panel to get to it. That's not a big deal – maybe 8 or 10 screws. It's sealed with some black stretchy elastomeric stuff that I had to cut because it was hard to pull the panel off. I plan to reseal it with the stretchy butylene tape that is used to seal RV windows.

As I said, if the system works well I intend to install the upgrade.
I am tired of fooling around with the existing contact sensor system. Nothing I have tried works consistently for very long and I have tried just about everything posted by people on several forums over the last couple of years.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Clay, this is very interesting, and I hope that you will continue to pass along any more information you come up with ...rgr...
Old 01-26-2005, 04:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Hi - I'm a prospective Vectra/Horizon owner..

I have been doing a lot of studying of the Winn on-line wiring schematics and this is the scoop on the sensor info:

"Units manufactured before 4/30/04 utilize a Direct Contact Tank Level System and have a green circuit board on the monitor panel.

Units manufactured after 4/30/04 utilize a Non-Contact Tank Level System and have a red circuit board on the monitor panel."

Hope that helps,

John
www.janeandjohn.org

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:34 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Well I am ready to upgrade the tank level gauges, and am trying to decide on whether to go with the new system made for Winnebago, which is cosmetically the same and therefore a "drop-in" replacement display board, or the See Level system like Mark installed in his Allegro. The SeeLevel is a more accurate system, but would require mods to the OnePlace panel in order to install it there, or it would need to be mounted someplace else.

Has Clay, or anyone else here done the upgrade to any Winnebago model yet? Need to do something soon, as the old system is just short of useless.
Indian River, De
Old 03-08-2005, 04:14 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Clay,

When you did your research on the Truelevel replacement did you happen to get any costs from the parts folks. The SeaLevel system seems to be fairly priced and I am wondering how the two will compare. I too have given up on making the contact systems work. Another unfinished invention. Thanks.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Mark,
Thanks for the info. I called and got the answers I was looking for. If you installed it yourself, how long did it take you and what was the difficulty level? FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have it in my new Sightseer and I do not see as if it is any better, you still never know what the actual levels are. I found if you look in the head you will have a better idea of how full it is.