Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2022, 08:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No water from city connection or tank

Hello Everyone, I’ve got an issue that has me stumped. I hooked up to city water last night and I couldn’t get anything from any of the faucets. Great pressure at the hose.

Flipping the switch to tank fill and using the pump would not produce any water from the faucets either. Water does not seem to be getting to my storage tank. If I recall correctly, I should be able to hear it filling.

Oddly enough if I flip the switch back to City connection and use the pump, I can get a trickle while the pump is running. This is the first time using the camper since I winterized last fall….

I checked the check valve that is used for winterizing the camper and it is not stuck. If I use the winterize switch, I can pump water through the faucets with the siphon tube. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2002 Horizon Itasca
Old 07-18-2022, 08:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some things to question may help.

First make sure the valve to switch from fill to use is fully to use position.

Are all the faucets not running or is it possible just the aerators are stopped up and need cleaned at each faucet? The outside shower faucet is closest to the water hose and most likely one to work, so that might be a clue. If it doesn't work, there are very few parts between where the water goes in and where it comes out!

Do you get any signs of water running out to the ground like a drain left open?

When we run on the pump,it is often not able to pump and build pressure if the valve for fill versus use is left in the fill position.

At the fill port, there is a small check valve that you can see if lookking directly into the port. It is just a small plastic disk which needs to be flat against the metal to avoid an air leak there. They can get knocked off and hang crooked if bumped but flipping it gently with a pencil often fixes it.

Can you see that you are getting water into the tank by looking at the tank or at the gauges?

Make sure the suction tube valve is back in the normal posiiton, not still in suction!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Richard,
The faucets are not stopped up and I’ve checked the showers hose with the head disconnected. My fill port is vertical and I just leave my hose attached year round and stored inside the camper. It’s kind of a pain to get to is the reason I leave the hose attached. I’ll take it apart to see if a check valve is inside the hose but it looks like a regular hose connection to me. I don’t see that I’m getting any water into the tank by the gauges and I can confirm that when I try to drain the tank. It’s empty. I must have a blockage somewhere. Just doesn’t make any sense. I keep a hose cap on my hose when stored inside the camper. Suction tube has been verified to be off and working correctly.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ok! More info helps cut it down. The check valve is not likely to keep the city water from the hose from entering, just works a s seal to keep water and air frompassing out as the pump is used. Tiny little spring presses it out against the metal and water pressure will move it back to enter.

When on city water, do you feel or hear any water moving in the hose or simply like it is turned off and no movement?

The drawings for your RV are not the best interactive type for after 2010 but take more study.
Drawing here for drain and fresh water:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...36ld_plumb.pdf

This is a snip of the fresh water in going to the diverter valve for change from fill to normal use as I've marked in blue. Check this before trusting???
Click this drawing or go direct to get a better view....

If the valve is working right water comes in and goes pretty straight to the cold of the shower as well as tee for other parts of the RV. I marked that in green?

If I have the right valve, this can happen and might be the only thing I can think of to stop water that goes so direct.
This valve is often plastic and the shaft can break as we turn it, so that the inside is turned some but not fully in either fill or use position! Water can't go either direction, so we can get what it sounds like you find???

Feel free to correct if I'm missing reading it right!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fill valve.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	183569  
Old 07-18-2022, 10:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

That diagram looks pretty spot on! I can’t hear or feel any water moving thru the hose while on city water. Based on what you have pointed out, it almost has to be that valve. Valve turns freely and has not moved since last year(until I tried everything under the sun last night) but maybe it just went bad.

I’ll update when I have a chance to dig in more.
Thanks for your knowledge and assistance!!
Old 07-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have only had one of those apart (lucky!) and it was plastic almost all the way.
What I found was the shaft had borken between the place where the handle fit on and the larger part of the valve which was meant as one solid piece with flatspots to align with openings to shut water off or turn it on.
The handle was turning the shaft to the broken spot but not moving the part that changed water flow. In my case, it broke in the fill position and I could fill but it made the pump unable to build up pressure and shut off. I could get water into the tank but not get it out nor use city water normally.

The replacement was not hard to put on but getting the metal shield off required taking all kinds of knobs off! But that was a VERY long time ago and not at all sure what you may find. At that time PVC was all glue joints and cut it off to get it out but now there are lots more things like Sharkbite connections that may help??
Old 07-19-2022, 07:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Update:
So I pulled the panel off to get a better look at the valve. Valve certainly doesn’t look like much but would be a pain to change. I opened all the faucets and tried blowing compressed air through the lines and it seemed like it was completely blocked in both positions with no air passing. Not wanting to take this apart any further while on vacation, I just put everything back together and gave up.

To my surprise once I hooked the water back up, I had a trickle from the bathroom faucet. Over the last 12 hours, all the faucets seem to be working except for the kitchen sink. I’m assuming maybe the filter under the sink may be clogged on that one.

So I have came to the conclusion that it was one of two things:
1.) sand /debris in the plumbing connection at the campground. This may now be stuck in the line to the kitchen sink??
2.) the valve that switches the tank fill to city connection was stuck in between and not allowing any water to pass.

I can make it through the rest of the week without the kitchen sink.
Thanks again for all the help and the plumbing diagram.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Check the aerators at the faucets, There are times when they all stop up at once!!

No idea how that works but we HAVE had folks find that as the cause!
Who would think it possible but if you are in a sand/suspect water situation, it may be an easier fix. A stopped up filter is agood place to look also.
Treking without water for a shower is a bit too close to roughing it!
Good luck with the search!

Tags
tank, water