Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No running water on hot side

1999 sunflyer 35u no water comming out from hot side. Water will come out if bypass is on of course that is cold water. I can here the bypass make noises went I use the switch,sounds like it is working. Used hammer on it but no good. Was working don,t know what happen,but no water comming out of hot water. Cold water is running good. Iam on the road of course for 40 more days, I hope someone had the same thing so you can tell me it the bypass switch. Thanks
Lake11969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Do you mean the winterizing bypass? According to what's installed, it might require more than just one valve to be changed to get water to flow through the water heater. Have you tried opening the pressure relief valve on the water heater to see if it's filled with water? You might also check that all shower faucets, including outside shower, have hot and cold valves closed. Sometimes the valves are open but the sprayer is off, allowing a cross flow of water.

One other thing are the one way check valves at the water heater that might be not allowing water to pass.

Here's a link to your plumbing system, I'd check that all valves are set properly for use. Valve handle parallel with the line, on, perpendicular to line, off.

While swinging a hammer can be good for the soul, it is seldom productive when it comes to plastic plumbing fittings, especially when they're 16 or more years old.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake11969 View Post
1999 sunflyer 35u no water comming out from hot side. Water will come out if bypass is on of course that is cold water. I can here the bypass make noises went I use the switch,sounds like it is working. Used hammer on it but no good. Was working don,t know what happen,but no water comming out of hot water. Cold water is running good. Iam on the road of course for 40 more days, I hope someone had the same thing so you can tell me it the bypass switch. Thanks

Found this:
If you get zero hot water under pressure or any water when turning on the hot water at a faucet and yet are hooked up to a water supply (turned on) then you may have a defective check valve on the inlet side of the water heater (supply side). They are prone to failure, are about $7 at a RV dealer, and are a real pain in the derriere to change in some RVs.
This check valve is to prevent the water constantly circulating throughout the system and wasting your propane. Older rigs did not have this valve (I've been told) and you probably could get by without it for awhile. Check with the MFR of your rig to see if it has a check valve and where it is located.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Take a look at pages 82 & 83 of the Parts Catalog for your coach and you'll see the check valve(s) on the water heater.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes I have open all hot water valves and the water heater valve. It sounds like the check valve. I thought the bypass sounded good. Thank I will look later for the check valve.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

O by the way hammer was for the bypass valve if it was stuck. steel valve, but soft tap.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

A check valve might just be clogged with minerals. A flush with vinegar could dissolve the minerals. If it's sand or an insoluble crud, it won't help.

A check valve just looks like a fitting on the supply line -- tank connection.

This is one from Home Depot, yours might be different to be attached to PEX or plastic supply lines.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had the same issue. Mine was caused by faulty check valve. Bought replacement at Amazon Vatera P23415LP 1/2 1/2 MPT $9.75 prime. One month later the other check valve failed.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Put the new one in today. 1/2 inch check valve,We have hot water. went I took out the old one it liked good. Thank alot for all the good people out there this make life much nicer. I put 1/2 inch in there so if someone need the size it there.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #10
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Perfect timing. I have been having this issue on my 08 Endeavor, HR. I have not been able to move the bypass valve when it acts up. I have the cover off and am ready when it does. Before I left on this trip I flushed the hwh tank.

It may be a bit tricky to replace mine because of the pex fittings. Has anyone used normal aircraft clamps in place of the crimp clamps on PEX ?

The pex fittings will have to be removed so I can unscrew my winterizing valve which appears to have the check valve between it and the tank.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Perfect timing. I have been having this issue on my 08 Endeavor, HR. I have not been able to move the bypass valve when it acts up. I have the cover off and am ready when it does. Before I left on this trip I flushed the hwh tank.

It may be a bit tricky to replace mine because of the pex fittings. Has anyone used normal aircraft clamps in place of the crimp clamps on PEX ?

The pex fittings will have to be removed so I can unscrew my winterizing valve which appears to have the check valve between it and the tank.
Not sure what you mean by aircraft clamps, but with PEX lines, if you don't own or can't borrow a PEX fitting tool, you can use Sharkbite fittings. They work well with PEX lines. Search Results forĀ*sharkbite fittingsĀ*at The Home Depot

Bob & Donna
Old 08-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A check valve might just be clogged with minerals. A flush with vinegar could dissolve the minerals. If it's sand or an insoluble crud, it won't help.

A check valve just looks like a fitting on the supply line -- tank connection.

This is one from Home Depot, yours might be different to be attached to PEX or plastic supply lines.
Had this one go bad on my WH outlet. It barely flowed and when removed, it operated very stiffly and did not open smoothly. I left it out and the hot water flowed great (as good as the cold side) and could finally adjust my shower hot and cold just like home. I do however have to replace it when I winterize it so antifreeze will not flow back into the WH. Its really not an issue for summer and not having it inline will not effect anything. Your water heater will not run constantly and the cold will not run back in as you also have one on the inlet side in most coaches.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

A lack of a check valve can be an issue in keeping hot water hot and cold water cold. If you open a cold faucet, pressure differences can cause hot water to leave the tank and travel up the cold water inlet line. A check valve prevents this.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Not sure what you mean by aircraft clamps, but with PEX lines, if you don't own or can't borrow a PEX fitting tool, you can use Sharkbite fittings. They work well with PEX lines. Search Results forĀ*sharkbite fittingsĀ*at The Home Depot
Thanks Bob, I am familiar with those and have used them. For one clamp I really do not want to buy a tool. And I have no friends,

10 Pack Breeze 200-32H Aero-Seal Industrial / Aircraft Hose Clamp Effective Diameter Range: 1-9/16" - 2-1/2" (40mm - 64mm)

To an old guy like me these are aircraft clamps. Just normal hose clamps.
Like "water pump pliars". Some old names never go away.

I need to remove one clamp so I can unscrew the valve assembly. It appears there is a check valve just behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	136867  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH.pdf (874.9 KB, 55 views)
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #15

Quote:
1999 sunflyer 35u no water comming out from hot side. Water will come out if bypass is on of course that is cold water. I can here the bypass make noises went I use the switch,sounds like it is working. Used hammer on it but no good. Was working don,t know what happen,but no water coming out of hot water. Cold water is running good. I am on the road of course for 40 more days, I hope someone had the same thing so you can tell me it the bypass switch. Thanks
Lake11969
I suspect that the "back flow preventer", (aka: "check valve"), in the water supply line, or in the output waterline, on the back of your water heater has failed.

1/2 INCH BACK FLOW PREVENTER

Mel
'96 Safari,
Suberban water heater with a back flow preventer in the incoming waterline
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Try a bigger hammer.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

My larger torso cannot fit into the space behind the heater. I imagine this will be an all-day-to-remove-the-water-heater kind of job since there are electrical, propane, and water connections in play. Does anyone have a link to a YouTube video showing how to get at this sucker (or non-sucker in this case)?
Old 10-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Try a bigger hammer.
marjoa
I could be wrong but methinks the OP is looking for helpful/useful ideas and suggestions.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Just to further clarify my earlier comment/request, we have the same circumstance as the OP - hot water heater runs, we heat until it quits, open the hot tap, water pump pumps, but no hot water after about 5 seconds, only cold. This is whether only hot is on or both hot and cold are on. I too believe this is a check valve problem and would like to know how to get at it. Thanks, everyone.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Just to further clarify my earlier comment/request, we have the same circumstance as the OP - hot water heater runs, we heat until it quits, open the hot tap, water pump pumps, but no hot water after about 5 seconds, only cold. This is whether only hot is on or both hot and cold are on. I too believe this is a check valve problem and would like to know how to get at it. Thanks, everyone.
peggwn
If water flows from your hot water faucets but the "water that flows is cold".. I don't think a bad check valve is your problem.

When my water heater check valve, (aka; back flow preventer), failed I could get NO water from any if my hot water faucets....(NOT cold... NOT hot...NONE).

Tags
water