Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cool no hot water to faucets

I have a Winnebago Adventurer, 03 model..I have a problem with the hot water system..tell you what i have ...there is hot water in the tank, the pump is running, the two water valves used for winterizing are in the correct position, but I don't get hot water to any of the faucets in the RV.. any suggestions would be appreciated in that we are planning a trip for Thanksgiving and the dealer can't work on it prior to us leaving...thanks
firesafety55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Two possible problems. First, the hot water heater should have three valves. The center valve between the hot and cold lines should be closed. The hot and cold water line valves should be open. Second make sure the outside faucet valves are closed.

both the hot and cold valves should be open.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Just curious, how do you know water is hot in the tank?
You get no water at faucet or no hot water at faucet?
Angler3041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

If you get zero hot water under pressure or any water when turning on the hot water at a faucet and yet are hooked up to a water supply (turned on) then you may have a defective check valve on the inlet side of the water heater (supply side). They are prone to failure, are about $7 at a RV dealer, and are a real pain in the derriere to change in some RVs.
This check valve is to prevent the water constantly circulating throughout the system and wasting your propane. Older rigs did not have this valve (I've been told) and you probably could get by without it for awhile. Check with the MFR of your rig to see if it has a check valve and where it is located.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Yep, I'll bet it's a stuck check valve problem. If you can easily get at the input and output side you could try tapping (gently!) on the connection to the tank and it may get unstuck. They get calcium deposits on the spring and can stick open or closed.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Angry hot water problem

Angler...I have a stop-cock valve for draining the tank...its hot..and I am not getting hot water at the facuets...cold water will work...
Old 11-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesafety55 View Post
Angler...I have a stop-cock valve for draining the tank...its hot..and I am not getting hot water at the facuets...cold water will work...
Firesafety, I would bet you have a failed check valve... Depending on what model " Bago you have, they can be very hard to get to.. On my 04-33v, it is a real strain, but doable... Get all the access you can, ( mine is thru a small opening in the storage compartment between the tank and the entrance door) and using a light and mirror, locate the valve. ( I use an old pickup truck side mirror for jobs like this) My valve is Waaay in the back, screwed into the lower part of the tank, and very tight.. When mine failed, I replaced it, but unnoticed, some small pieces from the failed valve remained in the system.. Next year, I begain to get a "buzzing" sound when the hot water ran, so back in I went. I found a spring, and smaill plastic "poppet" lodged in the new valve... Removed and replace the valve and all has been well for a few years not...be sure to check for leaks before closing up..Good luck, I dont envy you... ...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just went through this myself. The waterheater by-pass valve showed that it was in the "regular use" position.... My valve was put in backwards. Try putting the valve in the "by-pass" position and I'll bet you get hot water.

I have an 03 Adventurer also..
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

On my '08 it was the check valve.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I had the same problem on my previous coach (03 Journey DL). It was the check valve on the inlet side.

The plastic spring retainer had come loose because of a poor interference fit. I fixed it with a touch from my soldering iron and it continues to function for the current owner after about 6 years.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrstndgby View Post
Firesafety, I would bet you have a failed check valve... Depending on what model " Bago you have, they can be very hard to get to.. On my 04-33v, it is a real strain, but doable... Get all the access you can, ( mine is thru a small opening in the storage compartment between the tank and the entrance door) and using a light and mirror, locate the valve. ( I use an old pickup truck side mirror for jobs like this) My valve is Waaay in the back, screwed into the lower part of the tank, and very tight.. When mine failed, I replaced it, but unnoticed, some small pieces from the failed valve remained in the system.. Next year, I begain to get a "buzzing" sound when the hot water ran, so back in I went. I found a spring, and smaill plastic "poppet" lodged in the new valve... Removed and replace the valve and all has been well for a few years not...be sure to check for leaks before closing up..Good luck, I dont envy you... ...rgr...
thanks for the info...I have a white plate inside the compartment that serves as a mounting place for piping, vavles, etc..there are two brackets that hold the white alum plate in place...I think I can get to the rear of the water heater thru this space if I remove the plate...I just got a call from Winnebago and the guy was as much help as a sore thumb.,,I will try accessing the rear of the heater and see if I can fix the problem..we were planning on using the RV over Thanksgiving, and the RV dealer can't repair it for a couple of weeks..so guess the trip is off..anyway thanks for the information..the RV is an 03 Adventurer 33V, and should be almost the same as yours...have a great day and thanks again
Old 11-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
thanks for the info...I have a white plate inside the compartment that serves as a mounting place for piping, vavles, etc..there are two brackets that hold the white alum plate in place...I think I can get to the rear of the water heater thru this space if I remove the plate...I just got a call from Winnebago and the guy was as much help as a sore thumb.,,I will try accessing the rear of the heater and see if I can fix the problem..we were planning on using the RV over Thanksgiving, and the RV dealer can't repair it for a couple of weeks..so guess the trip is off..anyway thanks for the information..the RV is an 03 Adventurer 33V, and should be almost the same as yours...have a great day and thanks again
many check valves can be taken apart. you can remove the poppet valve and spring then reassemble and reinstall the check valve.
the check valves are used functionally when winterizing the rv by adding pink antifreeze to the water system. you do not need or want the pink stuff in your water heater tank.
there are 2 types of check valves, male and female.
camco makes these in brass. the male is pn 882032130, female is 23303. they cost about $9 each. ims, my moho uses the female check valves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATWOOD H20 HEATER LOCATONS.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	29220  
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I will try accessing the rear of the heater and see if I can fix the problem..
I first replaced my check valve using a mirror and reaching into the compartment - a real pain......

Then - when I laid down on the ground and looked up - there was a removable, oval, plastic panel which allowed access to the rear of the WH compartment!!!!

Yours may not be the same..... but take a look!

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

I had a 33v adv and had to replace that check valve also, but I am too big to fit in that space so I just pulled the tank out to replace both valves. Be advised that there are brass check valves available. May as well do them both. Also on my adv I had a10 gallon hot water tank with an electric heating element that was wired thru a switch on the back of the tank which melted and opened up, have no idea why that switch was used because it was virtually inaccessible along with the electric element limit switch [at least by someone my size] so I just bypassed the swich as there was a switch at my control panel and all this was protected by a breaker.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Back of Tank

firesafety55 Here is a picture of the back of your tank. V-6 are the brass check valves. I would cycle both of the valve is the pump compartment just to make sure they are ok. I assume you have water just not hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03 hot water tank.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	29227  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy no hot water at the facuets

How hard is it to remove the hot water tank...I have never tried this, but if the check valve needs replacing, I would think the heating element should be replaced...the rv has been used for 9 yrs...does anyone know the step by step instructions for removing the tank...I sure hate to take it to the dealer..would rather do it myself if not too difficult...thanks....

Tags
water