Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

No hot water pressure

Posting this on the Winnie forum vs Tech because I want to make sure I haven't missed anything from the Winnie side...

Woke up to no hot water from faucets. To be clear, am talking no water flow at all from hot water side from any faucet, not a "hot" issue. Cold water side (am on shore water) works fine. Was working fine before this, nothing touched. Checked the bypass valves etc, all ok, which is what I assumed since I didn't do anything. FYI, heater is Atwood 10 gal gas/elec combo.

First diagnostic: turned on the water heater bypass to cut off water to the heater. Drained the water heater completely (was full of hot water) and used a flush-out nozzle on a hose to clean heater out.

Leaving drain plug open, I turned the bypass back to normal and water flowed into the heater (and out the drain valve) so it seems to me there is no problem getting cold water into the heater. So seems everything normal as far as getting water into heater.

Replaced drain plug, refilled water heater. Still no pressure/flow from hot water side of faucets.

Reading other postings/forums I've found it's likely there is a check valve on the hot water output side of the heater. I would suspect that it has failed.

So my question... is there anything else from the Winnie-specific side that I could consider, or does is seem likely that it is a check valve failure? Anything I've missed? Have found the access hole under the coach that, with a lot of hassle and cursing should allow me to remove the valve, but want to make sure I haven't missed anything stupid before tackling this repair.

Thanks,
Ed
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That is the only common thing I can think of. You might check with the factor helpline Monday but that is too many days without hot water.

Hope you get into hot water soon!

Rick
Old 07-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think you are headed in the right direction.

My check valve failed a few years ago. I was near a service center that could replace it. I saved the old one and knocked the center out ... I could use it for a future emergency ...

You only need the check valve when you winterize ... so until you need to winterize you can remove the center and put it back in ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks all. Was able to get the valve out, does appear bad, so replacing next week.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Thanks all. Was able to get the valve out, does appear bad, so replacing next week.
as skigramp said, you can take the check valve that you removed apart and take the guts out of it.
there are 2 check valves, inlet and outlet on your water heater.
camco makes brass check valves. female: 88203213
male 23303. they cost about $9 each.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I replaced the check valve on outlet side (top outlet) of my water heater today. Ended up using a electric impact wrench to loosen old one up. Picked up a new check valve and a spare (only $6.99 ea.). Whitehorse Rv, Williamstown,NJ had them in stock. Also replaced w/ new washers. Blew air through the old one, every other time it would not open.
raysfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all your help, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why My hot water stopped all of a sudden. Thank you to everyone on these forums!
raysfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I think this is happening to us this weekend.

Where is the check valve accessible? Inside the compartment ? Or from underneath ?

Thanks for post.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Yours may be different, but for what it's worth...

My Atwood 10 gal water heater has two check valves, both are on the back of the unit. The lower one on mine is the cold water inlet, the upper one, which is the one that failed, is the hot water output.

Access for mine was from underneath the coach... a cutout that allowed me to remove the old valve and install a new one. The only way I found it was on my back under the coach looking behind the water heater.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I did mine from inside the compartment. It was a tight fit with no room to operate but I (Got R Done). That was a few years back by the way.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the replies. I was able to remove the check valve on the lower (inlet) side of the water heater. The plastic disc and spring let loose.

Reassembled and we have hot water once again !

Thanks again for the search feature and everyone replying.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Replaced both check valves with all brass construction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1839487835.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	44836   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-991179827.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	44837  

Tags
water