Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No hot water gas turns on

How do I tell if my water heater is getting water to it...Winnebago adventurer 2001... I cannot tell which way bypass valve points for on and off
Late arrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Your tank should have a pressure relief valve on the top of the tank. If you are connected to city water turn it on, then trip the safety pressure relief valve. If you tank was empty and you have the valves in the correct position. You will hear air coming out of the valve. If the tank has water in it then water will come out. If you can post a pic of your water valves in the water compartment.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Normally the valve "T" handle on 1/4 turn valves points to water flow direction. Different type valves are not always that way.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Once you determine you have water pressure in the tank and you still don't have a flame you could have a bad gas valve solenoid or the 2 sensors could be bad. This is a common problem. But, the control board is another area of concern.

When was the last time the water heater was serviced?

Rick Y
Old 03-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Make sure the outside shower valves are turned off. When on, they bypass the inside hot water faucets.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

open up the drain. if the water keeps flowing you probably turned it the right way.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Below is a diagram I drew of the Winnebago system. The T handle on the diverter valve as shown is in the operating position. The T points in the direction of water flow.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
open up the drain. if the water keeps flowing you probably turned it the right way.
X2
Ted
Old 03-29-2015, 01:58 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Because you are not sure if your water heater has water in STOP turning on the Water Heater until you are sure. If it is empty you will burn it up and have to replace it.
There should be 3 valves in front of the water heater, one on the inlet, one on the outlet and one that cross connects the inlet to the outlet. These are normally 1/4 turn or quick throw valves. In other words the handle is in line with the pipe when it is open and across the pipe when it is shut. Thus flow when inline and no flow when across or blocking flow.
First verify that lineup then open faucet (HOT side) and either start the fresh water pump of hook up to city water. You should either have water coming out and or here air being pushed out until the water heater is full then start sending water to the faucet. The water will be cold because you DO NOT have the water heater on yet. Now shutoff the water and close the faucet. Now you can light the water heater, either by gas or electric if you have electric. If by gas go outside and listen to the water heater light up at the vent. It should stay on until it reaches temperature. Also the light should come on while it is on and go off when it turns off.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Make sure the outside shower valves are turned off. When on, they bypass the inside hot water faucets.
If they were on the basement would be flooded. But, I have never experienced this. What am I missing here?
Old 03-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Because you are not sure if your water heater has water in STOP turning on the Water Heater until you are sure. If it is empty you will burn it up and have to replace it.
There should be 3 valves in front of the water heater, one on the inlet, one on the outlet and one that cross connects the inlet to the outlet. SNIP
Winnebago uses one diverter valve and two check valves. See the diagram in my podt above.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Since this guy hasn't responded I would assume he fixed it
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If they were on the basement would be flooded. But, I have never experienced this. What am I missing here?
If the shower head is off there will only be a trickle of water if the two valves are on. That will allow a cross feed between the cold and hot water lines and give some odd results.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Since Late Arrival hasn't returned to acknowledge his thread, we're just spinning our wheels now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

So sorry I have not responded, but read and worked till company got here then just had to stop and host company...I had themuse the campground bathhouse...company just left and I will continue working on problem tomorrow..thanksfor all good advice. My stopping work point I had hot water running to faucet only when I bypassed the water heater...when I include it in the loop no water goes into tank with pressure release valve open or even with valve open and bottom plug out...is there maybe a backflow valve at water heater that could be bad??? Will be at it again in am...pooped and going to bed...this single grandma is tired and frustrated...thanks again
Old 03-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

See my Sunday night post thanks for your help
Old 03-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Once you determine you have water pressure in the tank and you still don't have a flame you could have a bad gas valve solenoid or the 2 sensors could be bad. This is a common problem. But, the control board is another area of concern.

When was the last time the water heater was serviced?

Rick Y
Was working... Then after winterizing will not fill up...gas works just no water comes in...
Old 03-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

There is a backflow preventer at the cold water inlet to prevent hot water from pushing back into the cold water piping as it expands or a cold water faucet is opened. If it is stuck shut you would not be able to fill the WH.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late arrival View Post
Was working... Then after winterizing will not fill up...gas works just no water comes in...
So, no mater what you do the tank is dry. The "hot water" you mention above is not hot but simply water flowing from the hot side faucet. Correct? If this is the case you have a bad check valve on the water heater. Just from memory () I think you have one for the cold in and the hot out. Replace the and I think you will be back in hot water. It this case this is a good thing.

At this point I suggest that you call the factory. With your SN they can tell you exactly where the check valve is and the part #. When I did a web search on the topic there are many other RV forums that have found this to be the problem.

Keep us posted. Thank.

Rick Y
Old 03-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I think this is what might be happening..any way to check?

Tags
water, gas