Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No hot or cold water pressure.

This is my first post so please bear with me. We just bought a 2002 Suncruiser 35ft. The problem is I have no water flow (very little) at all the sinks, shower and tolet. The pump comes on but does not turn off. No water is leaking even after the pump is on for over an hour.
With the pump on there is good flow and pressure at the drain valve just past the pump. I opened the vent on the hot water tank and filled that. The flow out the vent on the HW tank is good. The water tank is full.

Water does come out the faucets but it would take 3 minutes to fill a glass.

The HW tank bypass valve makes no difference either way. The diverter valve (to fill the system with anti-freeze) appears to be working. When in divert mode, the pump pulls a strong vacuum.

My best guess is a pinched line but then there would need to be both a pinched hot and cold line as the flow is the same. All the screens are clean and open. There is no filter between the pump and the sinks except the drinking water tap but that is on its own branch.

Thanks you in advance for your insight....
Stay Safe.

Cburg
Cburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Look for a valve near your city water hose connection in the basement, it should have a city water position and a fill position. When in the fill position water the pump pushes out of the fresh water tank will recirculate back into the fresh water tank and pump will never shut off and you'll get very little pressure. That valve should stay out of the fill position UNLESS you are using the city water port to fill the fresh water tank.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Sounds like the check valves on the back of the water heater are stuck
Old 06-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Does your water pressure act the same on direct water hook up and on board water pump usage?

If direct water, if you have a pressure regulator on the water line coming in it may be defective. Check water flow without the regulator.

If by fresh water tank and pump, you said all screens were clean. Did you happen to check the screen on the pump?

The drain you talk about is it a low point drain? If after the pump with drain open pump turned on what kind of pressure do you get? If you close the valve does the pump turn off? I am with you on the pinched line, however it could be before the "T" where feeder line goes to water heater or cold.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank You "PowerCat RAS"

You were spot on with the cause of the problem. I never thought to check that valve since I figured it was just a shut off valve and not a 3-way.
The valve was half open and as soon as I put it in the right position the problem was solved. Great water pressure (for a Pump) and the pump shuts off.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Cburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'm having a similar issue. The pressure at all fixtures is great for about three seconds and then it falls off to maybe half, and has a low surge. I also found the pressure to be good with the pump on, but on mine the pump turns off with the switch. I think it may be related to the city fill valve as it occasionally will allow water to fill the fresh water tank on it's own. I've tried to exercise the valve, but the lever just spins because it is stripped. Same issue with the tank drain valve. Anyone know where to get replacement levers? It would be especially nice if they were metal.

My first thought was the problem was the regulator, so I replaced it and there was no change.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Fred
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I did the same thing, for the first time this year. I only have had this unit for 3 years, duh
Old 06-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'm having a similar issue. The pressure at all fixtures is great for about three seconds and then it falls off to maybe half, and has a low surge. I also found the pressure to be good with the pump on, but on mine the pump turns off with the switch. I think it may be related to the city fill valve as it occasionally will allow water to fill the fresh water tank on it's own. I've tried to exercise the valve, but the lever just spins because it is stripped. Same issue with the tank drain valve. Anyone know where to get replacement levers? It would be especially nice if they were metal.

My first thought was the problem was the regulator, so I replaced it and there was no change.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Fred
Which part is stripped? The lever or the stem on the valve? If only the lever, I find that part is a pretty standard item from a hardware. The problem can become bigger if we don't keep the lever from slipping as then it begins to wear on the valve stem. If the valve itself is bad it gets more difficult to replace due to location and getting the lines reconnected.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Which part is stripped? The lever or the stem on the valve? If only the lever, I find that part is a pretty standard item from a hardware. The problem can become bigger if we don't keep the lever from slipping as then it begins to wear on the valve stem. If the valve itself is bad it gets more difficult to replace due to location and getting the lines reconnected.
The plastic lever handle is rounded off and just spins on the stem. That's why I was hoping for a metal lever. I don't know if that is because the valve is frozen or not. Not enough is sticking out to grab on it with pliers.

Thanks for the reply,
Old 06-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

After checking with a couple rv stores, I ended up going to a Winnebago dealer for a new lever. The levers used to be available individually, but have now been discontinued. However, the dealer had three valves with the correct lever in stock. So for $18 I got the handle that I needed and a spare valve. I wouldn't have ordinarily done it that way, but I needed it to solve my water pressure problem. Actually not a bad idea to have the valve too, especially since I wasn't sure if my valve may have been frozen in position. With the new lever I was able to exercise the valve and get it to close completely; problem solved.

The dealer told me that that lever and valve assembly has been discontinued also; Winnebago has changed the design. So anyone wanting a spare of the original type might want to consider picking one up. Part number 180025-01-000.

Hope this is helpful info.

Fred
Old 06-18-2020, 07:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a good decision for the price.
I deal in small ball valves of this sort fairly often in fishkeeping and there might be one small thing to do before storing the new one away for the future. When these get really stiff and hard to move, we can really help it if we add a bit of lube to the ball. That does mean it needs to be done before we install it to cut the labor! So when I get a new ball valve that may not be used for a few years, I go straight to smearing a bit of petroleum jelly (aka Vasoline?) on the ball. But I don't really use Vasoline but go for the cheap unscented, unflavored kind. House brands like Equate? Q-tips make this easy for me.
What I find in fishkeeping use is that the jelly is not prone to getting in the water and not really petroleum any more either so it is safe for both fish tanks and our drinking water!
Knowing how my mind works, I find it better to lube the thing before I store it to avoid putting it in and then remembering it should be lubed.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Excellent advice. Thanks for the tip!

Tags
water