Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

No Gravity Fill - How to sanitize Fresh water tank?

I have a 2004 Winnebago Brave 32V. There is no gravity fill for fresh water. There is only a city water hookup. How can I get the bleach solution in the tank to sanitize the system?
MH Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Assume you have valves to set. Set valves to fill tank then dump bleach in the fill hose before connecting to the faucet. Water will push it into the tank.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH Bago View Post
I have a 2004 Winnebago Brave 32V. There is no gravity fill for fresh water. There is only a city water hookup. How can I get the bleach solution in the tank to sanitize the system?
MH Bago
Connect an empty water hose to the city water filll....pour bleach into the other end of the hose....connect the hose to a faucet....turn on the faucet and fill your water tank.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I remove the element from the house filter, add a cup of bleach to the canister, install and run water into the tank. I only fill the tank about 1/4 full then drive around for a while to let the water slosh. Then drain and refil with fresh water.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Buy a whole house water filter and plumb it for hose connections. Remove the filter, fill with "bleach" and fill the tank. The bleach will go in the tank with no problem. You can adjust the amount of bleach according to your tank size.

My RV came with the whole house filter installed in the wet bay and I have been using this method for the last 6 1/2 years.

Dennis45 beat me to it.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

There is another way to get a bleach solution into your fresh water tank.

Fill a gallon jug with a bleach / fresh water solution (use enough bleach to sanitize the whole tank ... you will add more water in the next step)

Insert the winterization tube into the gallon jug. Now you need to turn two valves: Winterization valve to divert, valve in water bay that say tank fill to tank fill ... then turn on the water pump and the bleach fresh water solution will go into your fresh water tank.

Leave the valve in the water bay in the same setting and fill with your hose.

As a footnote ... you can use this method to add water to your fresh water tank when you are dry camping and run out of water ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the responses. What I ended up doing was using a drill pump. I found it for about 12 dollars at Home Depot and it has hose threads on the inlet and outlet side. I had to make up a short hose to hook it up to the water fill and just used the small plastic hose that came with it on the pickup side. Worked great.
MH Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Hello I had the same problem and here is how I fixed mine. I filled my water tank and marked a 100% fill line then I cut a hole with a hole saw just at that line and installed a threaded adapator plug like the ones in my service bay for my water line to poke thought. Now it services two functions to fill tank with water faster then though the fill line and to put in sani fluid in I have pictures if interested.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Pickup an external water filter with a removable cartridge. When you want to sanitize the system just remove the cartridge put the bleach in the case turn on the water. When the beach is in the system put the cartridge back in the holder. This way you will have a good quality filter all the time as well as an easy way to sanitize.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. What I ended up doing was using a drill pump. I found it for about 12 dollars at Home Depot and it has hose threads on the inlet and outlet side. I had to make up a short hose to hook it up to the water fill and just used the small plastic hose that came with it on the pickup side. Worked great.
Wow, did you overpay!

Drill Pump - All Purpose Drill Water Pump

Gravity in an empty hose is even cheaper.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have a 2004 Winnebago Brave 32V. There is no gravity fill for fresh water.
Your plumbing diagram shows you having one (page #4, and view E on page #6).

My '04 31' Adventurer has one, thought it was odd that a very similar coach wouldn't have one.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Hi, You must have one as I had one on all the Winnebagos I have owned including my '04 and now my '14. The gravity feed is located just aft of the entrance door on the passenger side and has a lockable door.

The diagram in the previous post shows it too. It is NOT in the water bay.

Seek and ye shall find.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Many ways to do it.. First: SOMETIMES the gravity fill is hidden. I know one RVer who had a locked door in the engine compartment.. Yup, it was behind the door.

Now: Cheapest option: if you have any filters, REMOVE THEM

Fill tank half way with city water fill, Drain hose.

Pour proper amount bleach into hose and quickly re-connect (both ends) and finish filling tank, bleach will be blown into tank, note this also sanatizes hose.

Option 2 is give above, Get a replicable cartridge type filter and remove cartridge and insert bleach there.

Option 3 Mix bleach with water (5 gallons total) and pump in with hand pump 3B: if the rig has the ability to "Suck" water into the tank using the on-board pump in winterize mode.

One of those should work.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Actually there are some models that don't have gravity fills in the last few years. But this shouldn't be one of them.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water