Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Newbie Fresh Water Question on "New" RV

We brought our 1995 Winnebago Minnie Winnie home tonight, what a joy! From the dealership the gray and black water tanks were empty, but the fresh water tank was full. My wife and I are cautious (kinda paranoid) so what should we do about the fresh water? Since it's a used coach, what's the best approach now?
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Just dump the fresh water tanks and bleach them with a gallon of bleach and fill to the top. Run water thru system all faucets till you smell bleach, top of fresh water tank and drive around the block a few times and park and let set 24 hours and flush tank a few time and flush system and you will be good.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

A gallon is way too much. All you need is 1/4 cup per 15 gallons of tank capacity.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the former posts but I will add to pump a few gallons of the fresh water tank into the gray and black water tanks and then add the chemical to the black water tank. Never leave these two tanks completely empty as this is when things will solidify and cause problems.

When I drain my fresh water tank, periodically during the season, I catch the water with a bucket and water trees, shrubs, flowers, etc.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Bob... please do not dump a gallon of bleach in your system....you will hate yourself. Most of our fresh water tanks have what we call a "low point drain". You should determine where that little drain cock is located and release it. Let the water empty...refill with fresh using your "white" RV fresh water only hose. Add, like Chas, has instructed...the 1/4 cup per 15 gallons or about a cup and a half for 100 gallons. Let that sit for 7-12 hours ....run some thru the faucets, hot water htr (6gal) and toilet.....or run it all thru the faucets and toilet. Then refill with fresh water again.... and reflush the lines and hot water htr. Finally .... you are done. This "sanitization" of the water system is something most of us do seasonally or after an issue that leads us to believe our water system was compromised (not all camp areas have decent water)
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

When I dump the black water tank I will add several gallons of water afterwards. If you do not have any water in the tank you might be subjected to the "pyramid" at the point of where the commode empties into the tank . If the solids and the paper do not have any liquids in the tank there could be a buildup under the pipe that empties from the commode to the tank and that will eventually result in a clogging up of the pipe.

As has been suggested it would be a excellent idea to drain the fresh water tank and do the sanitizing thingy . Be sure to turn on the faucets and shower to get the bleach water run thru them.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
A gallon is way too much. All you need is 1/4 cup per 15 gallons of tank capacity.
I agree a gallon is too much. It'll take forever to get that out. The rest of the idea is good
Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:

A gallon of bleach would sanitize a 960 gallon tank of fresh water!!! A gallon is 16 cups, divided by 4 then multiplied by 15 gallons.

Also, this is not a place to buy the 'good' bleach, with perfumes and other additives. Cheap bleach works fine. Also don't use bleach that's been opened and in the laundry room for months, it does weaken over time when opened.

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the responses, much appreciated! I'll search around for the low point on the fresh water tank, and drain from there initially...no sense wasting the water as we have plants that can use it as well. Then a fill of the fresh tank with 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons, drive the RV around the block a bit to let things mix, and then let it sit for a day. At this point, not only run the faucets to clean those lines but also to fill the grey tank. Flush the commode a few times to put the bleach water in the black tank as well. Once that's done, another drive.....

Then dump the tanks, fill with fresh and clear the lines by running water to also add to the grey tank, partial fill the black tank as well, and dump one more time. At this point, refill the fresh tank, run and flush some into both the grey and black tanks, and add the chemicals into those tanks at this point.

I think I've got it?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Once you have the bleach and water solution in the tank, make sure to turn on pump and run water, (hot and cold) until you smell bleach at the faucet. Then refill tank to full. No need to drive around. After 4-12 hours, drain tank by way of the low point drain. Refill water tank and run water until smell is gone. You can drain and fill again if needed. The black tank should have about 2-3 gallons to start using, this way you're sure to have enough water to keep everything liquid. Gray tank will have gotten plenty of water running faucets to rid bleach solution. It can be drained. No need to keep water in the gray tank after emptying.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Well now, that's done and it wasn't as big of an ordeal as I imagined! Thank you all for your assistance......!!!

Tags
fresh water, newbie, water