Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New member 2010 Itasca 42AD some questions

Hi everybody...have been lurking awhile, but since I bought the mh mentioned in the thread title (owned for 3 weeks now),I have some questions I'm sure this forum can help me with.

1. I have an inverter rated 2000w, yet none of my 110v plugs work off it other than a few tv plugs etc. So if I what to make a coffee I need to turn on my gen set....make coffee...let it run for 10 minutes min as Onan suggests.
Is there a way to energize a plug near my coffee maker or do I forever require the 25' extension cord that now lays on my floor?

2. My Onan Energy Command 30 auto gen start works, but when it tries to auto start the gen it only cranks the gen for 1 sec....normally the gen wont start with this little cranking time...after fail to start the Energy Command goes to manual mode....not much usefulness out of this thing unless there's a way to program longer crank time. Onan manual has nothing about setting this.

Other than these 2 items I'm extremely happy with my unit. Thanks in advance to all who can help me with these 2 problems.

Regards....Ed
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Ok dumb question number one - the inverter is not always on. You have to push the button twice. The first time lights the display and gives you a prompt like "push for on" if the inverter is off. So is your inverter off? With the inverter operating, you will even be able to operate the microwave. The auto gen start feature sounds like you either have a generator that hasn't run in a while or maybe you do have a issue with the feature. Does the generator start easily manually or do you have to lay on the start button for a while? Also, if i remember correctly (and I could be wrong), if your batteries are close to dead, the auto start won't function right. Good luck

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post
Ok dumb question number one - the inverter is not always on. You have to push the button twice. The first time lights the display and gives you a prompt like "push for on" if the inverter is off. So is your inverter off? With the inverter operating, you will even be able to operate the microwave. The auto gen start feature sounds like you either have a generator that hasn't run in a while or maybe you do have a issue with the feature. Does the generator start easily manually or do you have to lay on the start button for a while? Also, if i remember correctly (and I could be wrong), if your batteries are close to dead, the auto start won't function right. Good luck
Thanks for reply jimjr

Yes the inverter is on, and things like sat dish,tv's,few other 110v items are energized, but house plugs are not.

My gen needs to crank perhaps 2-3 secs to start (doesn't seem excessive time to me), but the auto start will only bump it 1 second resulting in failure to start.

Ya...if house batteries are below a certain point auto start wont work, but I leave it on, and it does try to start before batteries get too low, but again it wont crank for more than a second.

Seems to me it should have a sensor to tell it to crank till gen starts?

Oh well I'm sure there's a solution.

Regards....Ed
Old 04-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've heard of smaller inverters (600w?) only powering entertainment devices, but the 2kw inverter should power all your outlets.

The auto gen start is supposed to monitor the same circuit that lights the "GENERATOR ON" light. It should crank until the gennie starts, not for a fixed amount of time.

Being a 2010 model, I assume it's still under warranty. Don't worry, both those items should work as you expected. Just take it to the dealer and get them fixed...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Correction: I just took a look at your wiring diagram and it's quite different from us little guys. Some of your outlets are powered off the inverter, but some come off the main panel. Here's a link to the PDF file for your model.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Another basic question. Although I would be definite except my 2010 Ellipse CD is in the shop so I cant look it. Are the circuits on GFI breakers and if so are the GFI's tripped? This would present as some circuits working and others not. Do the circuits work with generator or shore power hooked up?
philbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbailey View Post
Another basic question. Although I would be definite except my 2010 Ellipse CD is in the shop so I cant look it. Are the circuits on GFI breakers and if so are the GFI's tripped? This would present as some circuits working and others not. Do the circuits work with generator or shore power hooked up?

ya, all circuits work on gen or shore power. I don't need all off inverter but why not 1 plug for coffee in the morning??
Old 04-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
Correction: I just took a look at your wiring diagram and it's quite different from us little guys. Some of your outlets are powered off the inverter, but some come off the main panel. Here's a link to the PDF file for your model.

Thanks for the link...looks like I can put a power bar into the single plug that powers the microwave & plug my coffee pot into that. Hardly believable that I have to do that though ahah.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I find it hard to believe that you don't have an outlet you can use for a coffee pot. I would call Winnebago Support and ask an expert (800-537-1885 x1). Just sounds like you have a problem. But I promise you, your answer is a phone call away.

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Agree with the others...either call Winnebago and take it to your dealer for the fix. I have a 1500watt inverter and every outlet in the coach is on inverter when I switch it on. Can't believe they wired only a few outlets.

I also have an Onan EC30W AGS and it will crank the genset until it starts. It does say in the manual that if it cranks for a certain period of time and does not start, the AGS will let it rest before trying again. But, for sure, it should crank it for more than a second or so. Any Onan/Cummins Coachcare center should be able to fix that under warranty.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

not sure if you fixed your auto start,, mine did not work as well.. gen would start but shut off after a few secs... pulled the box from the wall and found a loose wire..works fine now... also all my plugs power thru inverter..
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

On my Vectra the inverter powers everthing except the washing machine, dishwasher, and A/C. However, according to the wiring diagram for your coach the inverter only powers the following: Microwave, Ext entertainment center, Front electronic components, Bedroom TV, Bedroom recep. @ dresser, bed front, and bed rear, Vacuum, Fridge, and Engine heater.

On edit: On 2nd look I don't think the Engine heater is on the inverter.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

My 07 Ellipse inverter powers all plugs except the fireplace.

I only wish I had an auto start for my generator...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
not sure if you fixed your auto start,, mine did not work as well.. gen would start but shut off after a few secs... pulled the box from the wall and found a loose wire..works fine now...
Havn't got it fixed yet...talked to Onan techs, they say to bring it in. My 1st engine service is in a few months so if I cant figure it out myself I'll let Cummings look at the problem then.

Since we're here is the a pic or something showing all the lube points on my rig? It needs grease at 6000 miles, which is now so I've been underneath getting dirty. My Frieghtliner owners manual shows most of them, but they are on many seperate pages. I really want to be sure not to miss any.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Hi I am also a 42 ad owner and since i needed to redo the exhaust duct on the microwave, I changed the outlet behind to a double outlet and attached a short ext. cord. My auto gen start seems to work fine.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I haven't read this entire thread, but have you called Winnebago tech support and asked them? They are very good. Your 2000 should operate ALL the kitchen outlets and your microwave. I don't run the micro on mine as it runs slow and not healthy for micro but make coffe, toast, watch TV etc. Good Luck Might want to check your GFI, my kitchen and bath are on the same one.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodoc View Post
Hi I am also a 42 ad owner and since i needed to redo the exhaust duct on the microwave, I changed the outlet behind to a double outlet and attached a short ext. cord. My auto gen start seems to work fine.
Oh well...guess I'll keep the power bar.

OTOH I am wondering if you've been on the roof of your 42AD. On mine I noticed a hairline crack just in front of the middle air conditioner running across the coach. Also the substrate feels springy for about 3 inches either side of the crack.. I suspect its the spot they join 2 roof pieces together and is normal, but Winnebago support has not responded to my question after a week.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have been on the roof and didnot notice a crack nor is there a springy feeling anywhere. The roof should be all one peice. I would have a tech look at this for sure.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodoc View Post
I have been on the roof and did not notice a crack nor is there a springy feeling anywhere. The roof should be all one piece. I would have a tech look at this for sure.
I took my rig to 3T's RV in Lake Havasu City after phoning Winnie support about my roof problem. Winnie recommended I go there even though I was in San Diego at the time.

I arrived at their shop Monday nite, they have 50/30 amp as well as water & a dump spot. It turned out that my soft spot in the roof should be repaired & it is lined up for Monday next week & will take 3 days. (We were waiting for authorization from Winnebago till today).

In the mean time 3T's had me stay 3 days while they started fixing all the minor items I had on my list for repair.

Very good guys with good service....if you are in the area I think you can do much worse than these guys for repairs.

My auto gen still fubar though haha.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Five2o: What's your status now? Have you had the autostart fixed under warranty?
Are you still happy with the motorhome? How does it ride in the wind? Do you have solid axle steering?
Give us your opinion on the Winnebago as of now?

Thanks, Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote