Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

OK I finally have internet. After my stop in Lake Havasu I have fewer minor problems than before.

I have not had my auto gen fixed...mainly because getting warrantee work seems to involve making appointments/buying lots of diesel/driving out of the way/being without my home for long periods of time.

I have to say that yes...I am happy with my motorhome. I love my Cummings/Allison/freightliner chassis so far. It is the nicest ride I could imagine for a barn of this size.

I do have a few problems with Winnebago though. The roof problem I had is nothing....& understandable. The problems I have had over the last 12k miles (I have yet to return home since purchase haha) are just cheap bs crap.
Woodwork trim falling off due to being installed with just short brads...no glue.
Water lines run with connectors in near inaccessible areas and require grey tank removal to fix.
Onan is near impossible to access for service...changed air filter the other day and have the scabs to prove it....same is for fuel filter & oil change!!
My sink cabinet needed disassemble to repair the world's loudest squeak...at fault was a 2 cent angle clip where only 2 screws out of 4 req'd were installed....retards!!!
Also Winni using self drilling fasteners thoughout is bad...30% of them are stripped...no idea if their workers don't own torque guns or don't know how to use them...I've repaired too many of these.
There are many more retarded minor items that I deal with & fix myself...it's just too big of a pain when on the road to get crap repaired at dealers etc...they seem to think that the most minor 30 minute fix requires leaving the rig over nite etc etc.

I have driven in wicked winds...I am satisfied with the handling of my barn in hard wind. I have yet to consider not driving when the wind is so bad that semi's are stopping on the side of the highway. Grats Freihgtliner on your Maxam chassis!!

I dont know (or care to know I think) whether I have solid axle steering. Something tells me if I needed it I would know what it is by now haha.

Anyways its a hellava ride so far...rv repair in far away truck stops & all haha...but I love this thing & would buy another in a heatbeat!!

Regards....Ed
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Well its getting close to winter, we are leaving to head south soon after a great summer spent around Squamish, Vancouver, Seattle,Okanagan, & Banff Park.

Our plan is to head out next week for Saskatchewan then enter the US into N Dakota and end up at Forest City Nov 4th to get a bunch of minor warranty items repaired.

So far we have spent 6 nights in our house since getting the coach. That's 6 night too many I think haha.

I have a few more questions from others that own similar rigs and thanks in advance for any response.

1. My galley gray water tank shows 2/3 full when empty....was showing 1/3 full but now worse. A search in the forum didn't really show a remedy...only the cause which seems to be built up gunk on the tank walls?

2. We've had a few nights at about -8 Celcius...I noticed that my aqua hot boiler would run almost continuously...is that normal? How much diesel does this thing burn/hour? In Banff we had a 30 amp electrical source and put the aqua hot on electric. It couldnt keep the coach comfortable... I would wake up and coach temp would be about 42 F when thermostat set to 60. Will it work better with 50 amp power?
I found using the fireplace worked pretty good for heat with the 30 amp source but then there's no basement heat.

3. When my aqua-hot is running the display with lights on the side of it do not light up ever. Is that normal?

4.When servicing the gen set I can change oil with minor contorsions, change the air filter blind since theres no other option...figured out how to change the fuel filter by losing less than 2 pints of blood....but how the hell can I service the spark arrester without pulling the entire gen?? Kinda hard to do when on the road.

Well thats bout it for now, thanks for reading....
Regards...Ed
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote