Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

need a bucket to drain tanks?

The last few times we have drained the black/grey tanks we have had to put a bucket under the main valve - and literally a bucket full of black water comes out before we pull the black valve - and it stops on its own ? Like it's residual. But how - we always drain grey last ? This is a new 25J - and this didn't happen the first few times...the black valve is pushed in completely...and, like I said, it doesn't drain the whole tank, just a "bucket full" until we pull the valve. We haven't ever had the tanks get over 2/3 full either....

So - is the seal bad?
Daniel Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Pretty standard for stuff to get in the seal and cause a small seep. Two choices either replace it or get a rubber glove and run your finger around the seals and try to get the debris. I would not mess with that and just replace...
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! Will try that!
Daniel Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Another option is to add another valve at the hose connection outlet point. This gives you a way to remove the cap and hook up the hose and then open this new valve to release whatever is in the pipe that may have leaked past the gray or black water tank valve.

Here is valve that you can use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
pwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Need a bucket to drain tanks

In a previous RV, not my Winnebago, I had seepage in one of the gray valves. When I took off the cap there would be liquid there with the valve still closed. Took the valve loose. Turned out that there was a piece of flooring that must have fallen into an open pipe during construction. With that gone the problem was solved.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had the same experience with our view. Everything good for first few months, then the black tank valve leaked. I changed out the gaskets and gate valve....prkblem solved. I found construction debris lodged in the seal

It was not a hard job.
notbusdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I added a Twist-On Waste Valve to the end fitting. No more surprises when I take the end cap off.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My Voyager R28 did that from the very beginning. I think the little trap door in the valve just gets rattled loose enough for a bit of black water to seep into that large drainspout. I always keep a bucket handy for just that purpose.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Perhaps I am being a bit silly here however when something new fails to work as it should I usually have it fixed at no charge to me under the warranty.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
or add a second valve at the point above the valve cap. we had the same issue on a previous MH
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Perhaps I am being a bit silly here however when something new fails to work as it should I usually have it fixed at no charge to me under the warranty.
I have found that anything you cab fix yourself is the best way. When I got my first new RV I took it back several times for the same thing and would always be told we have to order parts. I had a cabinet door that came apart and rather to reglue it. They wanted to order a new door which took 3 weeks .by the time they received the new door I fixed it myself and never went back. This just my example of you fix things yourself instead of having warranty work done.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I have found that anything you cab fix yourself is the best way. When I got my first new RV I took it back several times for the same thing and would always be told we have to order parts. I had a cabinet door that came apart and rather to reglue it. They wanted to order a new door which took 3 weeks .by the time they received the new door I fixed it myself and never went back. This just my example of you fix things yourself instead of having warranty work done.

That just perpetuates the lack of quality and reinforces the benefit of stating a delay so owners will just fix it themselves and then in effect be taking the responsibility upon themselves if their repair fails and someone is injured as in the case of DIY glue repair failing while on the road and the door or what is contained behind it falls off and injures someone or distracts the driver causing a collision. There is much less liability in getting a factory replacement part to deal with a manufacturing defect then with doing a DIY field repair.

Plus when you do a DIY instead of going through warranty it takes the manufacturer longer to find out they are having a quality escape on their production line that needs to be addressed making it so that more units go out with the same defect which in your case could have been a Glue Pot with its pressure regulator set too low leaving the joint dry or the Microwave Glue Press set at an incorrect pressure, wattage or time interval resulting in a poor glue joint, etc, etc.

I was head of maintenance in a woodworking millworks and can do any repair myself (electrical/electronics, hydraulic, plumbing, mechanical, refrigeration, HVAC, wood, window/door manufacturing, metal, fiberglass, plastic including steel/aluminum/plastic welding) having designed and built even the machinery used to manufacture a variety of products along with building many custom products that did not fit well with normal production area skill sets however most times its better to have the defect called out and allow things to be fully vetted out. Sometimes it may turn out to be a production run defect that requires all the doors be replaced with new ones since all may then be suspect.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

You must be working with better dealerships than I have. I prefer to fix the sample things myself rather than go 50 miles to my dealer so he can tell me he needs to order a part so I can make another 50 mile trip in 4 or 5 weeks.
On my last trailer the frig would not switch from electric to gas at times. I had it back to the dealer 3 times. Every time they told me it was air in the line the 4th time it quite l found the problem to be loose and corrosion grounds. After I cleaned and tightened them it worked great for the next 4 years.
Each to there own
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank