Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2005, 04:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just got home from a nice relaxing week in Eureka Springs, AR. Nice RV park (Wanderlust)with full hook ups and decent water pressure (around 45-50 psi). All faucets, shower, etc. worked like they always have, perfectly. Here's the mystery: each time the toilet was flushed the water pump would come on for 2-3 seconds, then shut off. None of the other faucets or shower would activate the water pump, just the toilet. Any thoughts on the "mystery"?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just got home from a nice relaxing week in Eureka Springs, AR. Nice RV park (Wanderlust)with full hook ups and decent water pressure (around 45-50 psi). All faucets, shower, etc. worked like they always have, perfectly. Here's the mystery: each time the toilet was flushed the water pump would come on for 2-3 seconds, then shut off. None of the other faucets or shower would activate the water pump, just the toilet. Any thoughts on the "mystery"?
Old 06-30-2005, 05:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

A couple of questions on this one.

1. If you have adequate water pressure at the input why are you running the water pump in the "On" position.

2. Usually, I will run the pump along with the "Hose" input only when the pressure is so bad that a shower is only a drip. The water pump then becomes the primary pressure source and the "Hose" is only used for refill of the tanks. This would be the only time I would run both.

3. Does the pump operate normally if you remove the "Hose" input and rely only on the tanks?

I can't imagine why the pump is only running for the toilet and not coming on when the shower is run. They would both draw enough water to cause the pump to cycle on even if you have an accumulator tank on board. Only thing I can think of is that the pump is seeing an immediate drop in pressure and kicking on to compensate, only problem with this theory is that the hose pressure should be adequate and this should not happen. This is not however the way my system works. Is there a chance your "Fill" "Tank" valve needs to be cycled a few times. Just a few random thoughts.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Rick,
Thanks for the reply. Thought it would be assumed, but no, the water pump was turned OFF. That's the mystery. Why does it kick on for 2-3 seconds every time the toilet is flushed, especially since the pump is turned off! I have a "pump ghost"!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

And yes, the pump works just fine when not hooked up to the hose supply. I too have used the pump to supplement poor camp water pressure.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Wow, you sure do. I am at a total loss as to why it would act this way unless the pump may have an internal electrical problem that is allowing it to come on which just doesn't add up either because it is only doing it with the toilet.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 06-30-2005, 06:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You may get the "mystery of the year" award for this one...

Now that you're back home, can you recreate the problem? If so, can you put a voltmeter on the pump to make sure it has power when switched OFF? If there is no power, stay there and listen to the pump while someone else flushs the toilet. Just wondering if there is any possibility that you're hearing something that "sounds like" the pump, but isn't. I know that's a long shot, but it's almost gotta be something weird like that...

My other question is: is anybody in your traveling party a bit mischevious? Does it only happen while you're in the potty room??
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

This is sounding sort of familiar. I haven't done it in a while, but when I fill my tank from he city water connection I get a noise that sounds a lot like the pump. I thought it was just the great water volume rushing through some fitting, but I guess it could be the pump being spun by the flowing water. Or was that when I blew out the lines last fall?

It's been a while since I filled up that way, so I'm a bit foggy, but it kind of sounds similar. Could flushing the toilet cause a pressure drop in part of the system that causes water to flow through the pump, spinning it and making noise like it's on? I'd have to look at the plumbing diagrams to be sure.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Any RV water pumps I have worked on. Do not have any parts that spin. They have a diaphram that moves the water. Possable air in line shome how. You do not have one of those fancy electric flush toilets do you?
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I was puzzled also the first time I read your post.

What about this theory: Unless you have removed the water restrictors from the faucets and shower head, they are delivering 2.5 gpm max. I'll bet there is no Fed requirement for restricting the flow (gpm) of a toilet (tank VOLUME is limited for tank-type toilets). Perhaps your toilet is pulling the pressure down so much that the sensor on the pump is reacting to this.

A test would have been to open up two or three non-toilet water fixtures and see how the pump reacts.

Yes, yes I know you said you read good pressure. Pressure is important but also the capability to deliver adequate VOLUME is important.

Just a thought...

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

John,

I had the same thought process going but then I remembered that the pump was "Off". Something to think about this weekend.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 07-01-2005, 04:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

That's what I love about this forum. Even with the "tough questions" we all step it and try to help. I will try to recreate the problem and have someonw flush while I check voltage on the pump. No restrictors have been removed and the only mischevious critter on this trip was the cat and she has no interest in water of any kind THanks folks, I'm sure we are getting closer to exercising this ghost from my rig!