Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Motorhome Propane Tank Life

Did a search but didn't see anything come up.
Does the propane tank that is mounted in my Coach have an expiration date like the small BBQ tanks at home?

Is so, do you have to replace it or get it re-certified somewhere?

Would check the tank to see if there is a date on it, but the coach is in storage 20 miles from home.

Thanks!
spydorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Here’s info from your-rv-lifestyle.com:

https://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/propane-questions/

“ ASME tanks on the other hand, are permanently mounted horizontal tanks found in most motorhomes. To refill them you must take the motorhome to a propane filling station. The ASME tanks do not require recertification. They should still be inspected periodically for rust and dents. Eventually they may need to be replaced.”
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would assume they do, and assume it's the same 12 years. Seems sort of absurd since unless you're cooking meth and using the tanks for some purpose other than propane I doubt there's any realistic concern, but apparently places are not supposed to refill if past the expiration.

Now I'm going to have to check the age of my various tanks. I have five or six because I had some for generator use before getting my trailer.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post

“ ASME tanks on the other hand, are permanently mounted horizontal tanks found in most motorhomes.
I stand corrected, but I see no reason for that difference other than they presumably are better protected from abuse. Seemingly the re-certification of the small tanks involves mainly a visual inspection by an "expert." But it would be nice if it didn't have to be done. Hopefully places that fill know that (assuming that information is correct).
Old 05-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post

“ ASME tanks on the other hand, are permanently mounted horizontal tanks found in most motorhomes. To refill them you must take the motorhome to a propane filling station. The ASME tanks do not require recertification. They should still be inspected periodically for rust and dents. Eventually they may need to be replaced.”
Thanks! Guess that answers that!
spydorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

They’re like your gas tank. No recertification necessary. If it makes you feel better you can have it inspected every few years.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I would assume they do, and assume it's the same 12 years. Seems sort of absurd since unless you're cooking meth and using the tanks for some purpose other than propane I doubt there's any realistic concern, but apparently places are not supposed to refill if past the expiration.

Now I'm going to have to check the age of my various tanks. I have five or six because I had some for generator use before getting my trailer.
I had about six 15 gal propane tanks that were a few years away from expiration. I opted to trade them into Blue Rhino since I got tired of standing in line to get them filled...
Old 05-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Propane Tank on Class A Motorhome

Hi, I have a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer Class A Motorhome and could smell propane when outside? I went and had the regulator replaced at different times twice and had it checked over many times over 2 years At RV Dealers and private RV repair shops? Was told many times it was not the horizontal propane tank that was leaking propane “as that Never Happens”? Well believe me it did happen when 3 T’s RV repair shop in Lake Havasu for finally took a look at the propane tank and there was a pin hole leak in the very back of the horizontal propane tank that nobody else could find? But 3 T’s RV repair found it and replaced the whole propane tank with a brand new one! ThankYou again 3 T’s for finally fixing this pin hole propane leak! Rita May 17,2020
tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have my trusty RV repair place do the manufacturer recommended annual LP system inspection. I don’t want to have a LP problem “surprise” while camping. Otherwise ther is no end of life date for the tank.

Tags
motorhome, propane, tank