Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Minnie Winnie Kitchen P trap

We have 2018 Micro Mini FBS 2106 and our kitchen sink P trap keeps getting loose and coming apart as we travel. I can reconnect and tighten it up but as soon as we travel it comes loose again. The P trap is dropping away from the straight smooth pipe that connects to the sink. Anybody have any ideas?
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Piece of 2x4 with a V cut in it to hold pipe up. Maybe a longer tailpiece on sink?? Plumbers strap to hold it up and in place??
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi Jeff,
Maybe just clean the pipe with rubbing alcohol, and install a fresh polyester slip gasket? A fresh gasket might compress better, and keep things from loosening. If that does not work, then maybe just a drop of Blue Loctite 425 on the threads?
Eagle5
Old 12-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum.

Is your tailpipe as loose in the trap as mine (see photo)?

We've had our unit almost 2 years, and looking at the fit I don't know how we avoided having issues for so long. The tailpipe doesn't seem long enough and the diameter of the tailpipe is considerably smaller than the trap, smaller than any fit I've seen for the S&B plumbing.

I found a tapered plastic "washer" (not sure of the right term) that fits snugly around the tailpipe and it seems to be much more secure (there was no "washer" initially, just the screw-down connector, but it was useless as there was that gap). I am going to do something to see if I can build a little wall around the trap to protect it from being jostled by things we keep under the sink in the cabinet on that shelf.

Apparently we've been very lucky up until recently.

Best wishes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0857.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	176100  
Old 12-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Welcome to the forum.

We've had our unit almost 2 years, and looking at the fit I don't know how we avoided having issues for so long. The tailpipe doesn't seem long enough and the diameter of the tailpipe is considerably smaller than the trap, smaller than any fit I've seen for the S&B plumbing.

I found a tapered plastic "washer" (not sure of the right term) that fits snugly around the tailpipe and it seems to be much more secure (there was no "washer" initially, just the screw-down connector, but it was useless as there was that gap). I am going to do something to see if I can build a little wall around the trap to protect it from being jostled by things we keep under the sink in the cabinet on that shelf.

Best wishes.
Just saying that the angle of the drain pipe coming down into the drain looks off center. I would try to align them up so that two lined up evenly.

That and some plumbers putty should do the trick?
Old 12-04-2020, 11:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Welcome to the forum.

Best wishes.

If what I think I'm seeing is correct, it looks like the tailpiece is 1 1/4" and the trap is 1 1/2". If a normal 1 1/4" tapered washer is used, it won't seal against the slightly larger trap.

If that's actually the case, go to the hardware store and look for the larger version of the washer. It should be labeled 1 1/4 X 1 1/2. It looks like the smaller one but is more "beefy" looking.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

There should always be a plastic type angled washer there but to improve the odds, I've found it worthwhile on house plumbing to go a step further. Plastic has more movement when heated and cooled and tends to come loose at this fitting, so I smear on a bead of silicone caulk at this type of joint. silicone moves and gives while still holding onto the plastic but is still soft enough to easily unscrew when you might need to clean the trap. As a poor folks landlord, I learned a lot of tricks to keep it going.
But for what I see in the picture, that is just a poor job of putting it together as the horizontal part needs to be moved slightly shorter to align correctly as well as have a washer and silicone.
There is also a specific washer to put 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 if that is the case.
This is rubber but plastic is cheaper:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plum...321P/312082998
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
If what I think I'm seeing is correct, it looks like the tailpiece is 1 1/4" and the trap is 1 1/2". If a normal 1 1/4" tapered washer is used, it won't seal against the slightly larger trap.

If that's actually the case, go to the hardware store and look for the larger version of the washer. It should be labeled 1 1/4 X 1 1/2. It looks like the smaller one but is more "beefy" looking.
I found this in my "junk" drawer and it does fit snugly around the tailpipe, but it also seems to fill the gap to the trap (and a little more). I'll give it another look. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1436 2020-12-06 tailpipe washer gasket.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	176121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1437 2020-12-06 tailpipe washer gasket.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	176122  

Old 12-08-2020, 01:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I found this in my "junk" drawer and it does fit snugly around the tailpipe, but it also seems to fill the gap to the trap (and a little more). I'll give it another look. Thanks.

Bingo! That's the one that should solve the problem.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Piece of 2x4 with a V cut in it to hold pipe up. Maybe a longer tailpiece on sink?? Plumbers strap to hold it up and in place??

Thanks Ranger. That's worth a thought and I may try. Problem is, the space underneath the trap is where we keep pots and pans. Strap also worth a thought. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Eagle5, I like that gasket idea. Will look into it. Blue loctite also worth a try.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

If the compressor collar is not unscrewing on its own then you may want to reconsider putting any form of thread locker/LockTite on it as that will just make it harder to service things in the future.

The most common cause of the traps coming off the tailpiece is usually due to the compression ring inside the joint being loose/worn or the tailpiece being too short or the pipe the ptrap is connected to having dropped. The ptrap and tailpiece properly installed really should not need the compression fitting to keep them from dropping however many installers cut them way too short to make it easier to install causing tension on the joint so it is always trying to pull itself apart.

You may be able to avoid putting in a longer tailpiece by ensuring that the ptrap is as high as possible by gently placing a small wedge or support under the pipe that its connected to where it passes through the cabinet/sidewall (don't go gorilla and crush the pipe), cleaning the tailpiece with acetone/denatured alcohol/clear PVC pipe cleaner and using a new compression ring.