Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Down her in the San Diego area it's getting pretty darn hard to find a place to dump the tanks that doesn't want an arm and leg or that I don't have to travel 40 miles out of the way. One place we were using for years started charging and at first it was reasonable. Now they want $35 to dump. Considering going to a mascerator style pump out so that we can start dumping at home. Who is using them and what's recommended?
Mike
Old 10-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Down her in the San Diego area it's getting pretty darn hard to find a place to dump the tanks that doesn't want an arm and leg or that I don't have to travel 40 miles out of the way. One place we were using for years started charging and at first it was reasonable. Now they want $35 to dump. Considering going to a mascerator style pump out so that we can start dumping at home. Who is using them and what's recommended?
Mike
Old 10-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikeso:
Now they want $35 to dump. Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely for THAT price they let you CAMP there also? The highest I have seen is $10...most are $5-10.

We are in the process of looking into the 12 volt mascerator pump kit that Camping World sells, as it is getting positive reviews.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Mike: I installed the Sani-con waste management system, macerator, three years ago (emptythetanks.com 866-410-1965). One of the best modifications I've done.

The Sani-con allows you to pump out the black tank, then with the black valve open, you can transfer grey water into the black tank by opening the grey tank valve. Close the grey tank valve and then pump out more black tank contents. Repeat as many times as you need to. Once the black tank is clear, close the black tank valve and open the grey valve and pump that tank empty. No need to hook up to a rinse station if you have a quanity of grey water.

I have also transfered excessive grey water into the black tank becasuse we were boon-docking and needed additional grey water space. You can do that because there always more volume in the grey tank, meaning the grey tank level will always flow into the lesser volume tank (black tank).

If you are camping and have a sewer dump on-site just attach the system, pull the grey water valve and a by-pass system allows the grey to empty without the use of the pump.

A friend pumps his waste into his house sewer clean-out using the portable Sani-con.

I hard-wired and mounted the "waste management system" first pictured in the web, into the sewer bay. Very easy install. I could help you if you wanted to drive North on the I-5 for a few hours.

Great product, easy desision now that I've had mine for several years.

A previous forum topic was on the replacement of the large sewer hoses every season and that costs add up. You will find the 1" line with the Sani-con is thick and will last for years. Mine is over three years old now and no sign of wear.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Great product, easy desision now that I've had mine for several years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary,
Thank you for the info. I'm pretty handy with when it comes to installing/making stuff but I do appreciate the offer. It sounds like this unit you mentioned would be just what I'm looking for. I figured that for what they want to dump tanks around here this thing would pay for itself in no time.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I wonder if there is a way to equalize the gray and black tanks without having the pump. We always have more grey than black water when boondocking.

If a 3rd value could be installed would work.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Considering going to a mascerator style pump out so that we can start dumping at home. Who is using them and what's recommended? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

I purchased the portable unit from Camping World 2 years ago and it works great. We dump at home a lot and use a regular garden house with a lenght of about 100 ft to do so and has worked flawlessly. Was about $200 when I bought it.

I also use the same trik using the gray water to flush the black tank.

Here is the link to it:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...26125&src=SRQB

I see that they are now $240. However I have been told that inflation is under control!!

Which ever system you chosse you will have to run a dedicated 12 gauge wire to power the pump. They draw quiet a bit of power.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wonder if there is a way to equalize the gray and black tanks without having the pump. We always have more grey than black water when boondocking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a way of doing this with the valve at the below link:
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...cat=124&page=1
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Harry,

Thanks, That was fast. Faster than most parts departments.

Thanks again,
Randy

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #10

THIS is the portable one I am considering. I have heard it pumps uphill good, but you sure don't want to run it dry as the motor will burn up.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Mike,
Don't know what part of SD you're in, so this may not help, the campground in Mission Trails Park off of Mission Gorge Rd in Santee was open and only charging $5 to dump.

http://www.mtrp.org/campground/
Charles O. Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

We bought this Jabsco pump a few years ago from West Marine.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/pro...Num=209&classNum=301
The better version costs a little less than $200.00. With about $20.00 worth of fittings and some hose I can now pump the tanks into the sewer system at home.

I added an a port to the sink drain in the garage. Now when we travel we don't worry about having the tanks clean when we get home. I just hook up the pump and flush them.

ON EDIT:
We also considered the style that hooked directly to the dump outlet on the coach. We opted for the Jabsco so we could add a length of clear hose between the coach outlet and the pump. It makes it easier to know when the tank is empty without running the pump dry.

In our particular situation the pump sucks the water away (13 gpm) faster than gravity will supply it to the outlet when the tank is nearly empty. I shut off the pump a couple times to let the flow from the tank catch up. When I'm finished the tank is completely dry.

As with the Sani-Con system the pump is capable of a 10' lift and a 200'run. I normally have 75' of 1" clear hose between the pump and the drain in the garage.

When the tanks are pumped out I stick the inlet hose in a 5 gallon bucket of water to make sure all the debris has run through and not stuck in the hoses or the pump.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Mike, I purchase a San-Con system and installed it myself. I was easy even for me.. I punp into my septic tank at home 100 feet from RV. I can pump up to 200 feet and 10 elevation. It works great. It empties a little slower than free fall but it is not as messy and an easy way to clean your black tank with the gray water..I recommend them with high marks..
Dick
Old 10-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Mike,

I noticed you also have a 36G as we do so I thought I'd post a picture of our sanitation bay with the Sanicon system intalled. It really doesn't take up a lot of space and can easily be disconneced from the sewer outlet and you can use a 3" hose if desired at anytime.

There are several varieties of the system available for you to choose from. You can get pricing and info from RVupgrades here Sanicon options

Old 10-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles O. Deeds:
Mike,
Don't know what part of SD you're in, so this may not help, the campground in Mission Trails Park off of Mission Gorge Rd in Santee was open and only charging $5 to dump.

Charles,
We are in Poway so that would be closer than the dump at Mission Bay.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 07:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe-K:
Mike,

I noticed you also have a 36G as we do so I thought I'd post a picture of our sanitation bay with the Sanicon system intalled. It really doesn't take up a lot of space and can easily be disconneced from the sewer outlet and you can use a 3" hose if desired at anytime.

There are several varieties of the system available for you to choose from. You can get pricing and info from RVupgrades here Sanicon options

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,
Thank you. That is a very clean looking installation and thanks for the link. That's about $100 cheaper than the previous web site I saw.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

The huge advantage of the RV Sani-con system is the grey water bypass feature and the discharge hose.

The grey water bypass allows you to leave the grey valve open while camping at a full hookup location and it will drain the tank. The pump by itself will not allow water to pass through it when it is not powered on.

The 1" hose which expands from 7' to 21' is awesome! It is small, compact, durable, and makes setting up a snap.

You guys looking at the Flojet pump may want to check this link out to save yourselves over $30 on the Camping World club price.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

had a friend of mine but a pump from JC Whitney, jc whitney pump then mounted it to a piece of plywood and had him self a portable setup for less.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote