Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #1

LP TANK VALVES - Shutoff doesn't work? + Unknown Valve Purpose

Can anyone tell me what this LP tank valve is for?

It says it's supposed to be in the "DO NOT CLOSE" position.

...but if that is the case, then why did I find the valve screw all the way in? Isn't this the closed position?

What is the purpose of the valve? What does it supply? Why do you leave it in the open position all the time? And why would you close it?

Note: I have a remote fill option so when my slide is in, the LP tank can be filled. So, does this "closed" valve have something to do with that or the 80% fill rule?

Also My Electric Shut Off Inside The RV Does Not Seem To Work.

And by not working, I decided to test the electric shut off valve by doing this:

1) I lit the gas stove

2) I turned off the LP Valve switch inside my RV.

===> And the gas burning on the stove did not go out.

3) Then I turned off the outside emergency LP Shut off electrical switch.

===> And again the gas burning on the stove did not go out.

So what do you think?

* Is my LP shutoff switch at the tank bad?

* How do you diagnose this switch?

* Does the switch go bad very often and what tips can you share if I need to replace it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4c  LP Tank Valves.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	179486   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Label - Do Not Close Valve.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	179487  

Name:	7 Outside Fill Port.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	179488   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 Outside LP Shut Off Switch.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	179489  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Yes the emergency shut off switch was turned off and I was unaware of the switch being there. It sounds like I would test to be sure there is power at the solenoid, you can remove the top part of the solenoid valve if it is defective with out involving the LP. I believe the power holds the valve open so it may be stuck like you said, or the switches are not disconnecting like they should.
Dirtydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #3

LP Tank Diagnosis Learning Curve

So as I experimented this is what I learned.

* To summarize you can read my notes in the picture below.

Additionally, my LP ON/Off Solenoid is now working; and it may have been all along. Why? What was the problem?

* I thought my LP Switch was not working, because I decided to test it by turning it off while my stove burner flame was burning.

I theorized that if the flame went out that my LP Switch was working properly when I shut it off.

And then to my dismay the flame stayed lit for 20-30 seconds.

Then I wrapped on the solenoid and it felt warm to the touch, which is a good sign as it turns out, because the heat signals the solenoid coils are being energized by 12V.

And when I ran the test again I waited 45 seconds, and this time the flame disappeared.

So now I have a warm solenoid and I know my LP shutoff switches work. So that is good to know.

TAKEAWAYS

* If your LP gas will not turn on, maybe you don't have 12V to the LP Solenoid and you have to address that.

* On the on the other hand, if your LP Solenoid is warm to the touch, then you know it has 12V.

* And based on what everyone says, an LP Solenoid normally does not get stuck in the open position.

* If you want to test your LP switch the way I did, you need to wait 1 minute to let the gas in the line burn out and kill the flame, before you assume you have a switch problem or a LP Solenoid problem like I did.

* And make sure you verify both your LP inside and outside switch is turned "on" if you are having trouble lighting you stove or your furnace will not work.

Note1: There is ~125PSI in the hose out of the tank to the regulator. After the regulator you have 12-12.5PSI that goes to the stove top and suburban(s) and refrigerator.

Note2: Before the regulator the tank pressure and hose pressure can reach 250PSI in 105F+ weather. So this is why the hose PSI is rated at 350PSI.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6 Label - Do Not Close Valve.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	179498   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Outside Fill Port.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	179499  

Name:	8 Outside LP Shut Off Switch.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	179500  
Old 06-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #4

Dirtydirt asked if yo can remove the top part of the solenoid?

I took a look and I can't tell if you can or not.

Has anyone replaced their LP solenoid valve and what is involved with that?

Note: On the other side of the LP solenoid valve there is the LP needle valve, but I would think the solenoid valve screws into this? IDK.

Also, when you look at the electrical connection in the picture below, under the black wire there is a numbered-dial and the arrow is pointing between 4 and 5. What does this mean?

I didn't want to pry the electrical connector off since my LP solenoid was warm to the touch and I got my LP gas flowing properly to my stove and suburban room heater.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9 LP  Tank Solenoid with Needle Valve Shutoff Screw.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	179525   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 12V wires to 31 Gallon LP Tank Solenoid - Emergency Shutoff Switch.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	179526  

Tags