Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #1
Peaceful Explorer

LP gauge inaccurate

On our 2003 Sunrise, the LP gauge and the corresponding panel indicator only goes to 3/4 when the LP tank is clearly full (fresh fill up to the overflow valve). Same thing after the second fill so I know it's the gauge. Can the gauge be adjusted, or must it be replaced?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Since you can only fill propane tanks to 80% full, the gauge showing 3/4 is probably just a tad over 3/4 so your tank is full. (There is a cut off inside the tank that won't allow you to fill over 80%.)
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
Peaceful Explorer

Oh I didn’t know that! Thanks!
Old 05-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

And my Navion 1/2 full equals 2 gals to fill. I would rather error on the side caution. Propane lasts forever... My fresh water showed empty after our last showers of no hookups for 3 nights. I got home and pumped 8 gal out before the pump had issues. Nice to know what all your levels mean really!
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Owens View Post
And my Navion 1/2 full equals 2 gals to fill. I would rather error on the side caution. Propane lasts forever... My fresh water showed empty after our last showers of no hookups for 3 nights. I got home and pumped 8 gal out before the pump had issues. Nice to know what all your levels mean really!
About the water and holding tank level indicators.....Another thing to remember, is many of the level measuring sensors are on one end or the other of the tank. If your RV leveling is off by as much as 1/8 to 1/4 of bubble, on a spirit level, that make a large difference on how much seems to be left in the tank. Also if the pick up tube is at one end of the tank, and you are slightly off level so the water flows away from the pickup tube, the pump will start sucking air while there is quite a bit of water left in the tank.
The fresh water tank in my 29' class A is over 5 feet long and mounted side to side. It sure makes a difference if I am slightly off level as to what the full empty indicators show.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

Thankfully I have two tanks and manually switch over when one is empty. Then it’s time to look for propane. I don’t trust the guages.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Although you can only fill the propane tank to 80% of it's capacity, when it's at 80% it's FULL and the gage will (should) read exactly that. Mine reads 'F' when it is freshly filled. That's also reflected in the goofy electronic indicator in the hallway with the water level indicators. I think you have a problem with the gage, but I don't think there is an easy fix nor an adjustment. The plastic snap on gage on mine got broken and I replaced it for around forty buck or so. That's just a magnetic indicator that 'sees' where the level sensing device inside the tank says the level is at.

Stan
Old 05-30-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My gauge has never worked right. After using the system u will get a feel for how long the tank lasts. I’ve never ran out
Hendo6771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I would think whether the gauge reads 80% full or all the way to the FULL mark right being filled, would depend on the mfg of the tank. My last two RV's, one a 2005 & the other a 2006, both read about 3/4 full when I have just filled up with propane.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Twice I have had my propane tank overfilled. Not a good thing. If the safety valve blows it is a very expensive fix. I have been in cooler climates so no problems. I simply burn the excess off with the water heater and gas furnace till the gauge reads close to 80% (full in my case).
Old 06-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Twice I have had my propane tank overfilled. Not a good thing. If the safety valve blows it is a very expensive fix. I have been in cooler climates so no problems. I simply burn the excess off with the water heater and gas furnace till the gauge reads close to 80% (full in my case).
On the 3 motorhomes I have had in the last 11 years, there is a cutoff to keep from filling over 80%. Once the float inside the tank reaches 80% full it won't let more propane in. Same with the 20,30 & 40 pounds tanks used in trailers.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
On the 3 motorhomes I have had in the last 11 years, there is a cutoff to keep from filling over 80%. Once the float inside the tank reaches 80% full it won't let more propane in. Same with the 20,30 & 40 pounds tanks used in trailers.

I don't know how they did it but they did. Once at Pilot and once by a local delivery guy. The second time the guy claimed that my fill port was going bad because he had to free it with a screwdriver to keep it from back leaking. Back pressure was keeping the port safety open.

This is my 3rd rig also. Been full-time since '05. My tank is frame mounted, 27.9 gal or 22.32 fill volume.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 07-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

we have a 2011 View Profile. The LP tank is 13 gal.
Can someone tell me approx. how many hours will that last if it is only use for the stove? If it is only use for heating? What about running the generator? I understand it all depends on how many burners are on during cooking and what temp one set at the thermostat. We are planning a trip to Grand Canyon area this Sept-Oct. We maybe camping a couple of days in a row where there's no electric hook up. I am just wondering if a full tank of LP would last for two days? Is there any general rule of thumb or idea ? Thanks.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Propane lasts a long time. I did four days without hookups and used half a tank. Gen, hot water and cooking for two.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #15
Site Team

For cooking propane lasts a long time. For your Water Heater it goes much faster. It's the propane heating system, however, that uses up your propane the fastest. I assume a propane genset would run through it quickly, too. I have no experience with that.

No one can tell you how long it will last - you'll simply have to have some real world experience with your unit. THEN you will know for sure.

Even using the heater we expect our 20-gal Propane to last 10-days or longer. I refill my Propane tank anytime it drops below 1/2 full just to be prepared.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

the largest use of propane is heat, second is if you have a propane gen. If you run your gen for AC I think you need to watch a bit closer since you can drain your tank in a day.

I have a diesel gen and during the warmer months I just use LP for hot water (instant, LP only) and cooking, I usually can go around a month with a full tank.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:30 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the input!
Mike, is your tank 13 gals?
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Thanks for the input!
Mike, is your tank 13 gals?
Yes I believe so.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Can someone tell me approx. how many hours will that last if it is only use for the stove? If it is only use for heating? What about running the generator? I understand it all depends on how many burners are on during cooking and what temp one set at the thermostat. We are planning a trip to Grand Canyon area this Sept-Oct. We maybe camping a couple of days in a row where there's no electric hook up. I am just wondering if a full tank of LP would last for two days? Is there any general rule of thumb or idea ? Thanks.

You have 10.4 usable gallons. Is your generator gas or diesel? Do you have the heat pump option?

Do you have an external LP connection for a gas grill? If so, you could use this to add an external portable thank. The connection of this must be between the tank and the regulator and not on the stove/heaters side. I added one to my rig. Works great for the grill and as an emergency LP supply tank hookup.
If you have a heat pump, they are good down to about 38*. I have gotten heat from mine in cooler temps but the day time conditions must be just right for successful heating at night. I don't know the exact reasons but I have gotten heat well below the manufacturing spec on cold evenings after series of warm days.

When running the generator use electric for the water heater and the microwave as much as possible, though one burner on the stove does not use much LP.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:04 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
A 13 gallons Tank (is that the usable gallons {80% full})

-- Only using the stove and fridge it will last a couple of weeks
-- RV forced air furnace....2-4 days or less depending on how cold it is and how warm you want to keep the inside of the RV. Absolutely no way to know except by your own experience.
-- Generator....Running on propane powering one air conditioner for 24 hours a day...Maybe 1 day or possibly 2 days, maybe even less depending on how hot it is and how cool you want the RV.
Grand Canyon in Sept/Oct. Bring warm clothes, and lots of blankets in case you have a cold front or winter storm come in. Chances are you will have nice weather and not need all the heat. We sleep fine by leaving the heaters off at night and are comfortable down to around 45 degrees in the bedroom by daylight. It is not that cold all night, that is just the low temp by morning. We also very seldom use the furnace. We use a catalytic heater such as Olympian Wave 6 or 8, or what we currently have is a 15,000 BTU Kozy World catalytic heater, selectable to 5,000, 10,000 or 15,000 BTU.